Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I'm new here and to the JD world in general (my father in law restores antique JDs) and I'm considering purchasing my first JD tractor. I have a fairly steep blacktop driveway I'd like to snowblow with a tractor that I can repurpose in the summer for mowing. My goal is to keep it under $4500 is possible so I was considering an x354 with a blower on the front. I've been to two dealers at this point and both have indicated that it would be underpowered for my driveway and are pushing me to spent $18k on a 1023e with a loader. While I would LOVE to make that purchase, I'd also like to stay married...

Thoughts from those with a x350 and a snowblower on it? I'm curious to see if it will "work" for my application, though obviously bigger is better.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
If nothing else I think you would be well served with a tractor that has a differential lock pedal otherwise you may find yourself with one wheel spinning. The X570 is the least expensive lawn tractor that has a diff lock. It would be beefier than the X350 all the way around yet still would be a very suitable riding mower.

With tire chains, a few rear weights and a diff lock pedal I doubt you will have any issues navigating your driveway. Granted, in really deep snows you may have to snow blow going down hill, drive back up through the blown path and then snow blow down hill again but that is no big deal at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If nothing else I think you would be well served with a tractor that has a differential lock pedal otherwise you may find yourself with one wheel spinning. The X570 is the least expensive lawn tractor that has a diff lock. It would be beefier than the X350 all the way around yet still would be a very suitable riding mower.

With tire chains, a few rear weights and a diff lock pedal I doubt you will have any issues navigating your driveway. Granted, in really deep snows you may have to snow blow going down hill, drive back up through the blown path and then snow blow down hill again but that is no big deal at all.
Thanks for the info. That's my exact struggle; I looked at the 570 but that puts my price up near 8k all said and done. At that point, why not elevate up to a 1023e? That logic, however, doesn't fly well with the wife. ;) Yesterday the conversation with my wife ended with "How did this go from $4000 to $15000???" hahaha

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Thanks for the info. That's my exact struggle; I looked at the 570 but that puts my price up near 8k all said and done. At that point, why not elevate up to a 1023e? That logic, however, doesn't fly well with the wife. ;) Yesterday the conversation with my wife ended with "How did this go from $4000 to $15000???" hahaha
It's a big jump from the X570 to a 1 series machine. By the sounds of your tasks (mowing and snowblowing), if I were going to "jump up", I'd go up to a X738/X758. Great machines, with 4WD. If you don't need a loader or 3 Point Hitch that is. That jump up may be cheaper than going to a 1 series.

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
You really can’t put an arbitrary number on a tractor purchase. You evaluate the tasks to be completed, find the proper implements, then size the machine to those tasks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
While my driveway isn’t particularly steep, it has a decent slope and I have no problems getting up it. The first pass is the hardest, but once I get to the top, I can make a full pass going downhill, and use the following uphill passes for clearing the leftovers. My neighbor’s driveway across the street is quite a bit steeper than mine, but when I help them out, I can get up the slope, but it can be slow going. But it works.

This is on a $1400 LA135 with a $1500 blower attached.
Some of these guys can’t spend your money fast enough. In my opinion, with chains on the tires and weight on the back, I think you would be fine with an x300 series. Granted, your driveway may be way more sloped than mine so the above may be bad advice. My driveway goes up about 15’ in elevation over a length of roughly 100’, whatever slope that is. YMMV

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
What all are you adding to the base purchase to get to $8K? A X570/48" lists for $5999. JD usually runs a $500 off sale around February.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hiya,

Sometimes new isn't the best option. There is a lot of lightly used equipment available at Deere dealers for very good prices. Honestly, I've bought exactly 1 new tractor in the last 30 years, all the others have been used as I find that used is the best bang for the $.

Check this out, not too far from you and an x700 series is a lot of tractor.

2008 John Deere X700 - Lawn & Garden Tractors - John Deere MachineFinder

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I guess I'd ask how much do you need to mow and what is that terrain like in addition to blowing snow? Going from an x3xx series to a 1 series is one hell of a jump and I'd be curious what your overall requirements are. Any tier JD will blow snow and do a decent job as long as you understand that a heavier higher HP machine has a distinct advantage right out of the gate. Just because you have a sloped drive doesn't mean you have to work uphill. Personally, I'd never own an air cooled machine for starters. Air cooled means more noise and shorter engine life, all things being equal. My next consideration is weight and I'm not even talking snow removal. My yard is about 1.7 acres and rough. I wouldn't want a machine under 700#. Light weight LT machines are ok on flat smooth yards but most of us don't have that luxury and >700 # machines even with my 220# ass ride like $h!t. A step up in weight and HP affords you a larger deck with a cushion in power to help if the turf gets thick or you have to wait on rain to mow. The same applies to snow removal. Larger heavier machines work more efficiently and are much more tolerant of the abuse snow removal puts them through and yes its abusive. I have no doubt that an x3xx would be functional for me but the question is how long. My 455 was $14k with the 54 blade but 20 years later it is still one of the best purchases I've ever made bar none. The overall cost of ownership has been relatively low and I've done things with it that would have destroyed a lesser tractor. If I had a limited budget, I would gladly trade better utility for $ and age. That means I'd buy used before I'd settle for less machine but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
What all are you adding to the base purchase to get to $8K? A X570/48" lists for $5999. JD usually runs a $500 off sale around February.
If the tractor is 6k , I could see the blower, weights and chains adding 2k.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
Hi All - I'm new here and to the JD world in general (my father in law restores antique JDs) and I'm considering purchasing my first JD tractor. I have a fairly steep blacktop driveway I'd like to snowblow with a tractor that I can repurpose in the summer for mowing. My goal is to keep it under $4500 is possible so I was considering an x354 with a blower on the front. I've been to two dealers at this point and both have indicated that it would be underpowered for my driveway and are pushing me to spent $18k on a 1023e with a loader. While I would LOVE to make that purchase, I'd also like to stay married...

Thoughts from those with a x350 and a snowblower on it? I'm curious to see if it will "work" for my application, though obviously bigger is better.

Thanks!
"Under powered" is pretty vague. You can move snow with pretty much anything. The bigger/stronger the machine, the faster you'll be done. But if you've got the time to spare instead of money, there is no reason a X3-series machine won't get the job done.

If it were me and in your $4500 price range, I'd look for an older (used) 318 or maybe a 425/445/455 and use that.

If you are adamant about buying new, I'd bump up to at least the X370. The X300 machines below that use the K46 transmission. The X370 and up machines use the K57 or K58 transmissions which, IMO, are better transmissions.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts

Residual value on a 1 series will always be better than any X, barring the top-of-the-line X variants.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just went through the same thing... I originally was looking at the x570, but when I thought about it long and hard, the 730 called my name a bit louder. Of course, Im tickling $12k with deck, plow and cart. $500 off, and 0% on the financing.

When you look at the monthly amount, I think you can justify a lot more than looking at the bottom line. :laugh:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Five years ago I set out to buy my first riding mower. At first I was looking at the d105 yes I know entry level. But after doing months of research and looking over the forums realized how much you can do with a machine so instantly went to the 5 series. Knowing down the road I’d want to have it future proofed.
It was funny as I started working the x500 tilling and hauling gravel and yards of loam in a pull behind cart. I realized that I was starting to outgrow what I needed done from the machine. I had my eye on the x738 as that seemed perfect for everything and had looked into ordering an aftermarket fel. After spending time at the dealer and pricing out adding the 3 point and all the other parts on the tractor it made sense to me to get a 1 series. Sure the 1023e would have done the job but figured this is a long term investment and just get the 1025r. To this day I have no regrets selecting it.
The way I came to buying the x500 then the 1025r was to figure out how much everything I wanted to do including cutting the grass and snow removal over a 5 year period. Well I’m on year two and ahead of schedule, not project schedule as my wife has found that my “toy” can do a lot of things she never thought of doing but so far would have paid others about 8k. That’s not including the many projects I’ve used it to do for some of my neighbors and parents. In addition I’m not tied to anyone’s schedule but my own and have something else to show for the money not only the finished project but the tools (tractor) as well.
In closing I’d recommend if you want new I’d say a x370 or higher if all you will do is mow and snowblow, sure you could get it done with a new e10x series I’m sure but long term the x will outlast it. If you think down the road you will do more or want to do more go at least x5 series. I really like the x7s but for me it made sense to just get a 1 series at that point as the new x7 don’t have a factory fel and you have to add on rear PTO and three point = $$$.
And yes I would consider used both for the tractor and any attachments. I’ve bought many used attachments for both machines and would recommend that especially for limited use items tiller lawn roller etc...
Stick to your budget and what you can afford you can always get something else down the road but you will take a hit if you decide to just upgrade. Luckily JDs hold their value very well so it will not sting too bad.
Everyone here has a bunch of experience and knowledge with machines and some have amazing knowledge about them and we are all lucky for their time they take in sharing it and it’s a great community. BUT No one here knows your life situation but you and the mrs so just remember that when it’s come time to pay or sign!
I see you live in mass as well anything else feel free to shoot me a msg.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Thanks!
Howdy, I live in the hills just outside of Springfield, MA. I was in your shoes in 2016. See my PM for more info. In short, I agree with considering a used GT. You can get a lot of machine for the price of a new X5 series.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts