Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this mower for a long time, 12 years, so I expect things to happen. However, before I go digging, thought I would ask...

Was running fine like it always had when all of a sudden it popped once then shut down completely. With everything as it should be for re-starting, when I turn the key, nothing happens at all as if no battery, no power no nothing. As if the solenoid died in action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's the ECU, so far everything else seems fine. I had been jumping it off, didnt want to buy a new battery so close to the end of then season. Lesson learned...never knew these things had an ECU.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
The sudden 'pop' could have been the infamous 'sudden battery death syndrome'. Disconnect the battery and use jumper cables to a known good battery, hooking to the tractor's battery cables, not the battery. That will quickly rule out the battery.

Reactions: rwmeyer

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Take battery to auto parts store for FREE load test. Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yep.........had a battery "pop" and was 100% dead. Had a cell short out, but no case fracture.

Make sure you clean the entire tractor area really good to get all the acid out of there. Don't want to speed up corrosion.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Next step would be to check fuses, fusible links, see if there is power at the switch, etc.

Reactions: Bryan Austin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next step would be to check fuses, fusible links, see if there is power at the switch, etc.
Yeah, since I have been doing this wrong all these years, I figure I might better swap out some things that might be damaged but still working. The only fuse I have yet to check is the big black one (the relay) .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.