Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new JD X390 last fall for snow blowing and lawn mowing... The snow blowing is the best! The mowing is the worst I've ever had! I have the 48" deck with hydro-lift and Mulch control attachment. I have to cut the lawn twice in two different directions to make it look just ok. If I turn too quick the deck seems to tip and dig in deeper on the opposed side of turning. Leaves streaks in the lawn while going straight and while turning. I wondering if all of this is due to the Hydro-lift or because it was set up wrong from the dealer? It was already taken back because the the deck was not level.

Hopefully this can all be fixed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
My brother bought a rider one day from his boss, like yours terrible cut.

He had it fixed in just a few minutes after getting it home.

Check your tire pressure in your tires. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DaveH

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes, check that tire pressure, it matters. Also set the tractor on a flat surface. Take a 4" steel pipe fitting and use as a guide to level the deck ( with the deck sitting at the 4" cut indicator") ( measure at the blades) checking both sides several times ( I level the deck at the height I like to cut at) and then make sure the front is 1/4" lower. Then reset the deck wheels out in the grass area to clear by 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Yes, check that tire pressure, it matters. Also set the tractor on a flat surface. Take a 4" steel pipe fitting and use as a guide to level the deck ( with the deck sitting at the 4" cut indicator") ( measure at the blades) checking both sides several times ( I level the deck at the height I like to cut at) and then make sure the front is 1/4" lower. Then reset the deck wheels out in the grass area to clear by 1/2" or so.
There’s a deck leveling gauge built into the depth stop knob, the instructions are on the gauge.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
You can do it that way as well. I think I get a better cut using my procedure.
It’s basically the exact same procedure, you just cut your own pipe.

I’m not interested in arguing about it, I just wanted the OP to know there was an easier way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check the pressure in all the tires, anyone know what they should be off the top of there head, or I'll look in the manual. It's kind of funny because when I first complained to the dealer about the bad cutting the first time, I told them that I "leveled" it with the "built in Leveling gage" and they told me something like "I wouldn't level it that way" you should buy a the tool so you can measure from the blade tip... Anyway, will the wrong air pressure in the tires cauz stripes missed while going straight? That seem to simple to fix the problems?

·
Registered
287 Posts
It’s basically the exact same procedure, you just cut your own pipe.

I’m not interested in arguing about it, I just wanted the OP to know there was an easier way.
Oh I'm not arguing either, just sharing information. I just don't like the idea of leveling the deck at one setting ( as determined by the deck height indicator) but actually mowing at a different height. Why not level it at the mowing height I am actually going to use.....is my logic at work... It's the same procedure. Either way, it needs to be done.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I will check the pressure in all the tires, anyone know what they should be off the top of there head, or I'll look in the manual. It's kind of funny because when I first complained to the dealer about the bad cutting the first time, I told them that I "leveled" it with the "built in Leveling gage" and they told me something like "I wouldn't level it that way" you should buy a the tool so you can measure from the blade tip... Anyway, will the wrong air pressure in the tires cauz stripes missed while going straight? That seem to simple to fix the problems?
You will notice the deck move up or down on the side you are adding or removing air pressure in the tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.