Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been toying around with the idea of adding an x? series lawn tractor to my arsenal with the intention of using it solely as a purpose built high performance lawn mower and wanted to check in with you guys to see which one you think would be best suited to my needs. I currently use my 1025R w/ 60D MMM for mowing duties but as much as I love that tractor I've never been impressed with it's mowing capabilities. Honestly, knowing what I know now if I had to purchase my 1025 over again I would have skipped the MMM all together and would have added a brush hog and riding mower instead and probably walked out paying about the same.

I have about an acre and a half to 2 acres to mow (depending on season) which contain quite a few hills, slopes, obstacles, and curves. The property also has a creek and drainage culvert going through it that I'd like to be able to mow along the edges of once the rainy season dies down. While the 1025 itself handles the terrain with ease, the 60D deck does not. I find that the 60D deck scalps my lawn in areas where there are small hills and misses areas where there are curves and I have to go back later and hit them with a weed whacker.

So now the question is which lawn tractor will give me the best performance for my mowing needs? I've been thinking about the x394 vs the x584, both with the 48" deck. I narrowed it down to these 2 because I think with their 4 wheel steering capabilities and narrow width I should be able to get into all the nooks and crannies that my 1025R misses. My concern though is how will these machines handle the sloped terrain? I live in the Pacific Northwest so the ground is often soft and wet so traction is a concern. I briefly thought about an x7 series because of the 4WD options but then we're talking about a price tag approaching what I paid for the 1025 and I don't want to go that high. Other than those 2 units are there any other ones I should be looking at?

Another question I have is about mulching and bagging. I have the mulching kit on my 60D so currently I mulch exclusively. I like the idea of the "mulch control" on the x series tractors so I can bag or side discharge if I miss a week of mowing, and I like the idea of adding an MCS system later on for cleaning up after spring dethatching and bagging leaves in the fall. If I went with the full on power flow MCS system how reasonable is it to take on and off a few times per season?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

-JR

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Used x738, x739, or x758 with a 54HC deck and the full time mulching kit.

That or a zturn.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi All,

I've been toying around with the idea of adding an x? series lawn tractor to my arsenal with the intention of using it solely as a purpose built high performance lawn mower and wanted to check in with you guys to see which one you think would be best suited to my needs. I currently use my 1025R w/ 60D MMM for mowing duties but as much as I love that tractor I've never been impressed with it's mowing capabilities. Honestly, knowing what I know now if I had to purchase my 1025 over again I would have skipped the MMM all together and would have added a brush hog and riding mower instead and probably walked out paying about the same.

I have about an acre and a half to 2 acres to mow (depending on season) which contain quite a few hills, slopes, obstacles, and curves. The property also has a creek and drainage culvert going through it that I'd like to be able to mow along the edges of once the rainy season dies down. While the 1025 itself handles the terrain with ease, the 60D deck does not. I find that the 60D deck scalps my lawn in areas where there are small hills and misses areas where there are curves and I have to go back later and hit them with a weed whacker.

So now the question is which lawn tractor will give me the best performance for my mowing needs? I've been thinking about the x394 vs the x584, both with the 48" deck. I narrowed it down to these 2 because I think with their 4 wheel steering capabilities and narrow width I should be able to get into all the nooks and crannies that my 1025R misses. My concern though is how will these machines handle the sloped terrain? I live in the Pacific Northwest so the ground is often soft and wet so traction is a concern. I briefly thought about an x7 series because of the 4WD options but then we're talking about a price tag approaching what I paid for the 1025 and I don't want to go that high. Other than those 2 units are there any other ones I should be looking at?

Another question I have is about mulching and bagging. I have the mulching kit on my 60D so currently I mulch exclusively. I like the idea of the "mulch control" on the x series tractors so I can bag or side discharge if I miss a week of mowing, and I like the idea of adding an MCS system later on for cleaning up after spring dethatching and bagging leaves in the fall. If I went with the full on power flow MCS system how reasonable is it to take on and off a few times per season?

-JR
To me , from your lawn description, the X584 is $2,000 more expensive than the X394 but it includes traction control that you likely will favor when needed. $2,000 is only an extra $33/month over 60 months. I would lean in that direction and wouldn't look back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used x738, x739, or x758 with a 54HC deck and the full time mulching kit.

That or a zturn.
I went in to this thinking z-turn but then heard terrible things about their capabilities on slopes and/or soft/wet soil conditions.

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me , from your lawn description, the X584 is $2,000 more expensive than the X394 but it includes traction control that you likely will favor when needed. $2,000 is only an extra $33/month over 60 months. I would lean in that direction and wouldn't look back.
That's the way I'm leaning especially considering that I've been spoiled for the past 5 years with power steering, 4WD, and diff lock on the 1025. I don't know much about the 5 series traction control, but it seems to me to be similar to the diff lock on my 1025, yes? Mostly useful for getting "unstuck" in bad spots? For the record I started off using an old STX38 on this property and it did the job, but barely, and it took me all day to mow and had to get towed out by my truck on 1 or 2 occasions when I got too close to the creek...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That's the way I'm leaning especially considering that I've been spoiled for the past 5 years with power steering, 4WD, and diff lock on the 1025. I don't know much about the 5 series traction control, but it seems to me to be similar to the diff lock on my 1025, yes? Mostly useful for getting "unstuck" in bad spots? For the record I started off using an old STX38 on this property and it did the job, but barely, and it took me all day to mow and had to get towed out by my truck on 1 or 2 occasions when I got too close to the creek...
The x5 series just has a diff lock for the rear wheels. If you find yourself using 4x4 on your 1 series frequently the x5 is not going to be easy on your slopes or wet areas while mowing.

For a mower that isn't going to get stuck or rip of your grass you really should look into an AWD x7. You simply will not find a better mower for uneven or slippery terrain. The x7 is true all wheel drive all the time. Each front wheel has an independent hydraulic motor. The rear has a diff lock if you truly find yourself in slop.

Since you already have a 1 series and used x7 series that is just a mower is by far a better way to spend your money than an equivalent price in a new x5.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Take a look at my signature line, you will see my arsenal. I think the 584 is the tool for you.

·
Registered
x739, 54HC, 47SB
21 Posts
I started on my 1.7 acre property with a zero turn Z625 (54HC) for the first 5 years and I ended up getting rid of it for 2 main reasons.

1. Rough ride.
2. Grass scuffing/tearing on turns.

Now I have no doubt that #2 could be solved by a better operator, but the realization that I came up with was that unless I'm mowing with a zero turn every day I'm never going to get as good at it as a commercial guy. Mowing once per week and then not for 6 months in the winter just isn't conducive to being a professional operator.

I bit the bullet and got a X739 with a 54HC with mulch kit and a 47 inch snowblower last July. I got a couple months of mowing in and then all winter blowing show and it has been a far more enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I have the X590 with the mulch control and bagger. Very easy to take on and off the bagger, and the power mulch control is nice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I went in to this thinking z-turn but then heard terrible things about their capabilities on slopes and/or soft/wet soil conditions.
I have a berm on the Side of my property that I mow up to the top on one side and a mowing service mows the other side ( HOA). I tried a ZT for 2-years and just found it would break loose occasionally as I circled the trees planted on the slope. I also found that it would leave circle a pattern around the trees. It was OK, but I traded it in on a X590 and the stability and safety is much better for me. You may be able to get a dealer to drop off a ZT to test drive on your property, to make sure it gives you the performance you need. ZT's are fun and probably will mow your property faster but not may not be practical for everyone or every chore.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the previous gen of both of those tractors. I went X324 --> X534 --> X739.
I had the X3 series when I had only ~one acre to mow. I went with the larger models when I acquire another acres of mow-able ground.
As you can tell, I really like the AWS models. I eventually ended up with the X7 due to the hydraulic 4WD feature for the hillsides. It climbs like a mountain goat on all surfaces.

If your 1025R is a pre 20 1/2 model, you can use your 60D deck on an X7 series. I have a 54D and 60D (1025R) deck and use them both on the X7 due to one having a mulching kit. The other nice thing is that snowblower, broom and other attachments I use are compatible as well, which of course includes the Quick Hitch.

The X7s are pricey though. I bought ALL of my equipment used and saved many THOUSANDS $$$$. If you are patient you can do the same.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Hi All,

-JR
Since traction is a concern a X584 should probably be the choice over the X394( as it has Diff/lock if you need that Traction) I don't have any major Hills since Moving In 2016 to a almost Flat as a Pancake Property with one small hill. I had a 60inch deck on a 1025R Previously Mowed with the 1025R a couple of Times I had Kept My JD X748 on purpose Just for Mowing as I knew the Sub Compact would not be as nimble Upgraded the 1025TLB to a 2025R TLB still got a deck for it But a 54inch More for Trade in down the road Because around here if You Have a Mid Mount Mower they fetch more on trade in. Again I kept the X748 for Mowing. Don't really mow with the X748 it used more for tilling and Loader work & snow removal. Bought a Cub Cadet XT3 GSX for Mowing Finally decided Last year it time for a zero turn still haven't bought one yet. But The zero turn I am talking about Can Handle Most hills(have Hills at My vacation Property) and rides a lot more comfortable then a Tradition Zero turn which is a Cub Cadet Z force SX series. Has a steering wheel and they do handle Hills 10 times Better then a Lap bar zero turn a Friend has a Cub Z-force SX 60 and His Yard has some rather steep Hills and that Handles his yard with No Problem for the most Part. He Had a Traditional Ferris zero turn Previously and all that did was slide on his Property He also has Two Simplicity Legacy XL( a 2WD and a 4WD) for some of the real steep stuff where the SX give Him the Pucker Factor and it usually the 2WD Legacy XL That he uses for Mowing the steeper Parts Because the 4WD Legacy XL is Usually set up as a TLB. So I think a 2WD X584 would Probably handle his Lot and I bet the X584 would Handle Your steep parts as well (y)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies, you've given me a lot to think about. I initially dismissed the AWD units because I didn't realize they were actually "AWD" and not 4WD. I do use 4WD on my 1025R a fair amount, especially when things are still wet in the spring. The problem I have with 4WD on the 1025R is that I end up tearing up a lot of the turf, especially if I get into the real soft spots, or when I forget to turn 4WD off when it's not needed which happens more than I'd like to admit. It seems that between the true AWD and the less aggressive turf or HDAP tires the x7 series might be a gentler and more capable solution. Of course then the problem is price for new or trying to find a decent used one.

So I guess I'm now looking at either a new x584 vs a used x739. I know the x7 series are compatible with my 60D deck but I think I'd rather go with a smaller deck for the maneuverability factor, plus the lack of a center anti-scalp wheel on that deck is a real problem for my terrain. Does anyone have info on the cut quality of the 48 vs the 54 in decks? Posts here seem to really push the bigger is better mantra but knowing what I know now about the 60" on my property I'm wondering if that doesn't apply to me.

If you're curious to see the kinds of slopes I'm talking about check out the pics I just posted over in this discussion in the SCUT section - Oh **** level gauge! . I'll also go out and take some pics of the obstacles and other stuff I have to deal with and post them here later. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, you've given me a lot to think about. I initially dismissed the AWD units because I didn't realize they were actually "AWD" and not 4WD. I do use 4WD on my 1025R a fair amount, especially when things are still wet in the spring. The problem I have with 4WD on the 1025R is that I end up tearing up a lot of the turf, especially if I get into the real soft spots, or when I forget to turn 4WD off when it's not needed which happens more than I'd like to admit. It seems that between the true AWD and the less aggressive turf or HDAP tires the x7 series might be a gentler and more capable solution. Of course then the problem is price for new or trying to find a decent used one.

So I guess I'm now looking at either a new x584 vs a used x739. I know the x7 series are compatible with my 60D deck but I think I'd rather go with a smaller deck for the maneuverability factor, plus the lack of a center anti-scalp wheel on that deck is a real problem for my terrain. Does anyone have info on the cut quality of the 48 vs the 54 in decks? Posts here seem to really push the bigger is better mantra but knowing what I know now about the 60" on my property I'm wondering if that doesn't apply to me.

If you're curious to see the kinds of slopes I'm talking about check out the pics I just posted over in this discussion in the SCUT section - Oh **** level gauge! . I'll also go out and take some pics of the obstacles and other stuff I have to deal with and post them here later. Thanks again!
That's a really nice property, or should I say hill.

I really think you won't be that impressed with an x5 on that lawn. Even with diff lock you are going to end up spining tires are ripping up grass.

An x7 with AWD will simply amaze you on that hill. Get the HDAP tires. They look agresive but they really are gentle on the grass.

I've had very good results with the 54" deck even going over some very uneven terrain. I've only had it scalp when it was me who messed up driving. If the center roller is something you want both the 54 and 60 decks have an optional center roller that can be added. The cut quality and mulching performance of my 54HC deck have been great.

If you opt for a 48 deck you will loose the ability to get close to an edge. You also will loose the drive over deck ability. The chances of finding an x7 with a 48" deck mounted are very slim.

I'm not just a member of the x7 can climb hills club I'm also a client.

Loose gravel trail all the way up to that white building towing a full cart of soil no problem.

Snow covered 10% grade driveway no problem

It does sideways on slopes really well too.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
90 Posts
JR:

I too live in the Pacific Northwest and have a farm with hilly terrain. I purchased an X584 with a 48" deck and am quite happy with it. Only in the Spring when the ground is still a bit damp have I had to use the differential lock to boost me over a hill. Never used it in the Summer. I like the power steering in that my old mower was an X354. What I am still not sold on is the hydraulic lift for the deck. As mow around a lot of trees there are roots that stick up that I have to raise the deck to clear them. With my X354 I was able to use my leg to raise the deck and I could do that very quickly, not having to slow down. But with the hydraulic lift I have to pause, raise the deck, then proceed over the root. And there are times when I forgot to lower the deck back down so I had to re-mow over that area with the deck lowered.

Other than that nit, I am very pleased with the X584. I personally thought the 55" deck would be too much to handle. The 48" deck does the job quite nicely.

Packick

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a few pics of the front/side of the house with some of the obstacles I'm dealing with. This accounts for about 25% of my mowing, the slope towards the creek you see in the other thread accounts for about another 25%, and then there's a nice flat "back 40" behind the garage that's the remaining 50%. Unfortunately while the back 40 is flat it has the most drainage problems and remains soft and mossy well into late spring early summer. I'm going to work on some french drains to help that out, but right now I just want to get the lawn right around the house up to snuff before worrying about the other stuff. I've got a line on a nice barely used x739, but it's a hell of a road trip away, still thinking about options. Thanks again for all your input folks!

Plant Property Building Window Tree Plant Cloud Sky Tree Fence Plant Cloud Sky Window Natural landscape Plant Tire Wheel Tree Land lot Plant Wood Tree Trunk Natural landscape Plant Sky Property Plant community Window

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not to knock the 4 wheel steer option, I know people love it, but nothing in those pictures makes me think you need it. My x738 could navigate that property without any drama. Don't discount the x738 from your search.

If you've got a line on an x739 go for it. It's worth the drive if it's a good deal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not to knock the 4 wheel steer option, I know people love it, but nothing in those pictures makes me think you need it. My x738 could navigate that property without any drama. Don't discount the x738 from your search.

If you've got a line on an x739 go for it. It's worth the drive if it's a good deal.
This is a good point. I got my used X324/48 deck first and was inspired enough to pick up an X540/54 deck a little later. I generally use them for different things. The X324 has an uncut circle of 9”. The X540 is about 30”. The other day I was waiting on blades for the 324 and I used the X540 for the smaller “inner yard”. Though I didn’t have the power flo and bags on the 540 it went everywhere the X324 goes. In the couple of spots that I had to back up the power steering made me feel like the 540 was actually more maneuverable than the X324. So NOBODY tells my wife, GOT it? I paid my crack (John Deere) dealer $2K for that four year old fully serviced X324 with power flo bagger and only 224 hours. However superfluous and redundant it may be I’m not getting rid of it. I no longer fear breakdowns or prolonged tear downs for do it myself maintenance. But truth be told, as much as I fantasize about an X534/584 my 540 does the job. CJadamec makes a good point.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I eventually ended up with the X7 due to the hydraulic 4WD feature for the hillsides. It climbs like a mountain goat on all surfaces.
The X7s are pricey though. I bought ALL of my equipment used and saved many THOUSANDS $$$$. If you are patient you can do the same.
This. These machines climb like mountain goats!

The x7's awd is phenomenal. In my case the larger tractor is borderline "too big" for my complex and undulating lawn (thus no one and done one series for grass) but the x738/739/758 tractive effort more than makes up for it's larger size. I often wish they made one size/series smaller AWD for "smaller" challenging properties like mine.

I bought my x738 from a dealer consignment as a three year old model with less than 100 hours on it for a few thousand under average retail. It has a year of warranty remaining. Still pricey but the x738's AWD and the 54HC deck and auto connect PTO are top shelf.

Buy once cry once!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i think youre being oversold here with the X700 series recommendations. i have not seen a single hill or slope posted here that a X500 series cant go up with a full cart of firewood. now, if its a matter that you WANT a X700 series then that is another story all together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts