Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was mowing the mower stopped suddenly and I saw the black plastic piece come out of the discharge chute. It was very hot so I knew it was part of the mower. The mower cranks but will not fire. I opened the engine compartment and found a magnet broken and stuck to the side of the engine compartment. It appears that this magnet fits in the black plastic piece. I've looked and cannot figure out where it came from. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
No clue here.

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

:dunno::dunno: I feel certain someone on here will be able to help .

:munch:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sounds like something fell off your mower and it got run over by the deck. Seeing the deck was running whatever it was got chopped. This is what I would do.
You will need to figure out weather it came off your tractor or was something just laying in the grass that you ran over.
Jack the front of the tractor up.
Take a look underneath for anything missing or loose.
Pay special attention to the deck. Any marks, dents or damaged blades?
Look around in the yard/grass where it happened. See if you find anything else. Then start working your way outward from ground zero.
Whatever it is it's important enough that the tractor won't run.
Possibly one of the safety systems components.
Also check that your have everything set correctly before trying to start the tractor. Sometimes you get so excited when something like this happens you forget something.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Could it be one of those magnets that stick on the outside of an oil filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. I took the shroud off the flywheel and found a broken screw and more of the magnet. See the attached pic I believe that is where the magnet needs to go. I can see where the screw is broken off down in the hole. This turns and crosses the coil produce producing I would think? Not sure how to find that part or what it is called.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
No magnet = no spark. You definitely need to replace that magnet. Getting that screw out may present a big challenge due to its size. A shop may want to replace the flywheel rather than mess with the screw.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
No magnet = no spark. You definitely need to replace that magnet. Getting that screw out may present a big challenge due to its size. A shop may want to replace the flywheel rather than mess with the screw.
Them damaged magnets will not charge the magnetos. That's why you don't have spark.
Now for the bad news. You might have to buy the whole flywheel to get them magnets. If so you will have to replace the entire assembly. They also have to be in the exact same place for the plug to fire at the right time.
You also need to check both magnetos for damage. They could have taken a hit when the magnets first started coming loose. Then they usually finish braking the magnets off the flywheel.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You're right. I'm not seeing I can just buy the magnet. $345 for a flywheel. Surely someone knows of an alternative fix.
Did you check if your magnetos took a hit? They have a very small gap between the two.

I figured as much. I think you're only shot at a cheep repair is finding a used part. Maybe you can find one that someone replaced for another problem. Like missing teeth from the starter ring gear. You would still have to remove the broken bolt successfully. Most of them magnets are also glued on. I'm not 100% sure on your part.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Update. I took the shroud off the flywheel and found a broken screw and more of the magnet. See the attached pic I believe that is where the magnet needs to go. I can see where the screw is broken off down in the hole. This turns and crosses the coil produce producing I would think? Not sure how to find that part or what it is called.
I was going to suggest a flywheel magnet yesterday, not that I've seen a lot of them but I don't ever remember seeing one that was held on with a screw/bolt. Learn something every day.

Maybe you can epoxy a new one on.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
You're right. I'm not seeing I can just buy the magnet. $345 for a flywheel. Surely someone knows of an alternative fix.
Try ebay with the Kawasaki Model for your engine.
I found a USED flywheel for FD791D for $150 obo shipped (magnet looked like it was held on with a phillips screw.
Also a NEW for FD750D for $232 shipped. They stated MAY fit FD671D FD791D

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
As I was mowing the mower stopped suddenly and I saw the black plastic piece come out of the discharge chute. It was very hot so I knew it was part of the mower. The mower cranks but will not fire. I opened the engine compartment and found a magnet broken and stuck to the side of the engine compartment. It appears that this magnet fits in the black plastic piece. I've looked and cannot figure out where it came from. Any thoughts? Thanks.
jeepers-i didn't even know i had such a item on my motor. tough call for ya. how many hrs on ur machine now, when it left go?

just wondering cause i have the same tractor:dunno: but in the 3yrs of owning it, this is the first time of hearing about something like this. just a bad run of luck, but -me-i think i would go new...........cause maybe ur flywheel has gone out of balance -maybe--something caused that one magnut to fall off????? good luck with it.:munch: i have almost 800 hrs on mine!! 2004 yr.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just a note for general reference - Some engines have the magnets inside the flywheel held on only by epoxy.
The inside magnets are usually to power the charging system.

Wonder if dude ever got his tractor fixed?

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
The inside magnets are usually to power the charging system.

Wonder if dude ever got his tractor fixed?
A friend has a Craftsman lawn tractor that will not charge. I diagnoised it to the flywheel or stator (with taking the flywheel off). I told them, most likely the magnets have separated from the flywheel, hence it will not charge. They opted to manually charge the battery after each use.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
A friend has a Craftsman lawn tractor that will not charge. I diagnoised it to the flywheel or stator (with taking the flywheel off). I told them, most likely the magnets have separated from the flywheel, hence it will not charge. They opted to manually charge the battery after each use.

The problem is that the loose magnets usually take out the stator. The engine turns the flywheel into a giant reverse blender. Plus it's a blender with 15+ horsepower. Check out "will it blend" by Blendtech on YouTube. You'll get the idea. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts