Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct engine for the x475? The FD 7452? Looks like I need a rebuild on mine, and I'm in the market for a good used motor. Does anyone have any ideas where to search?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
What is the correct engine for the x475? The FD 7452? Looks like I need a rebuild on mine, and I'm in the market for a good used motor. Does anyone have any ideas where to search?

Not sure where to source one. What is wrong with yours?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Needs a full rebuild basically. It was burning oil real bad. Compression test showed up pretty low. Took the heads off and the cylinder walls are worn too much to just be honed and new rings and pistons. Needs bored and to go oversized. Also one of the heads is toast and the other is borderline. The cost on the total rebuild is going to be close to $2k, and I'm hoping to source a good motor for a much easier, cheaper, and quicker alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, after more research the correct FD number is the FD671D which is also the same as the 2KAXS 7452CA. I think it's just the semantics of what Kawasaki calls it vs what John Deere calls it.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I was wondering if it was just blowing a little smoke on start or if you dug into things a bit more. Sounds like you have.

My X585 with a either a Kawasaki FD671 or FD750 (Some conflicting info on it) blows a little smoke on start but so does my Z950R that only has 68hrs on it with the FX850. From what I have read it is pretty common with Kawaski engines. But if compression shows no good and you dug into things you may be right.

Since we have basically the same engine (X585 and X475) you might be able to look for a FD750 as another option.

If a rebuild is 2K you could probably go with one of these for a little less.

Kawasaki FD750D | Kawasaki Engine for Sale | PSEP.biz

Reactions: TJR345 and BigJim55

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've looked at their site and it appears they don't have the FD671D anymore. I emailed them about it earlier tonight. I don't think the FD750 would be a direct swap as far as the actual size goes, I could be wrong though. Those prices in rebuild kits aren't too hateful. Better than I thought they'd be.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yeah I noticed that they can't get the exact engine anymore either. It is hard to say if the 750 will fit. It will be interesting what they have to say. There is a lot of info out there on repowering the older machines like the 318 and that generation but I haven't seen anything on this with the X series. You can't be the first to run into it. On a positive note. It should be a bit easier with your machine than what I would face. Everything that they seemed to have has a carburetor. The X585 is EFI so I would have to work that conversion out. Not impossible but also not a direct swap.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Deere parts shows 0.50mm (.20) os piston and rings. I rebuilt my 345 last fall about $650 total in parts. To replace it with all the attachments with say a x590 would've been about $12,000- $13,000.So you have to look at is it worth the investment to rebuild or new engine.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ebay is a place I like to look first.

You can try these folks but they deal in old iron from what I can tell. TractorSalesAndParts.com - Hundreds of Used Tractors & Parts!
I actually already called there and they didn't have anything at all. I appreciate the lead.

I checked eBay and there was one in Ohio on there, but it's unknown hours and could be a crap shoot in general. I've been talking to the seller about it, I'm just a little leery about buying a motor online that I don't know much about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Needs a full rebuild basically. It was burning oil real bad. Compression test showed up pretty low. Took the heads off and the cylinder walls are worn too much to just be honed and new rings and pistons. Needs bored and to go oversized. Also one of the heads is toast and the other is borderline. The cost on the total rebuild is going to be close to $2k, and I'm hoping to source a good motor for a much easier, cheaper, and quicker alternative.

Can I ask how many hours are on the engine and what was the maintenance schedule....I have a X475 as well and I'm wondering when I might be in the same position.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It had about 1600 hours on it. I'm not sure about the maintenance schedule on the mower, but I'm certain it can be found in your owners manual.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

A new one would cost less than the $2K to rebuild yours... Repower John Deere X475

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not to change the subject but I think Kawasaki now suggests 20w-50w oil in all their engines?
Kaw may in its own tech manuals, but my FIL's brand new X320 with its Kaw specs 10w30 Turf Guard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts