Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday I purchased a JD X475 with a 62C deck. It needed a few parts that I was able to get at my dealer this morning. I spent the rest of the day servicing, repairing, cleaning & adjusting.

I have a couple of issues that I do not know how to check out. The digital hour meter & fuel gauge do not work.

Is there a way to test where the problems are?

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
First place to start is getting a wiring schematic. I would strongly recommend buying a service manual (it will have the schematic in it). You can get one from your dealer or going on line to JD Tech Pubs and ordering one. With the schematic in hand you should be able to trouble shoot them. It's possible you just may have a loose connection somewhere, but.....

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses? I would think your normal owners manual would have them listed. Start with the simple stuff first. Then can you see if there is a part of the connector loose from the guage?

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you T-Mo & Brian.

The manual is a big help. I was surprised at how low my serial number is. It looks like the serial numbers start at 01,0001. My X475 serial number is 01,0116.
I ordered a service manual.
I mowed with it for about an hour today & it all worked great.

Before. This picture does not show how bad it looked, because rain was pouring down when I brought it home. It had been stored outside for several years. The paint was very faded.

After. The cart gives a better indication of the paint condition of the tractor when I bought it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
X475

Brian, I had an X475 for over nine years. It was a true work horse.I had a front blade for it for snow, and I made a scoop bucket that also attached to the angle kit. I did alot of digging with it and moved alot of large pieces of wood with it. I still have the bucket and am trying to sell it.I traded my loyal 475 in on my new 1026R. Went from one great machine to, I hope, another one. I had fuse problems a few times, and I had a connector damaged which caused the fuel sending unit to quit working. Other than that, I had good luck with that machine.
KHOP

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Nice pictures. I'm amazed that someone would leave that expensive tractor outside that long.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian, I had an X475 for over nine years. It was a true work horse.I had a front blade for it for snow, and I made a scoop bucket that also attached to the angle kit. I did alot of digging with it and moved alot of large pieces of wood with it. I still have the bucket and am trying to sell it.I traded my loyal 475 in on my new 1026R. Went from one great machine to, I hope, another one. I had fuse problems a few times, and I had a connector damaged which caused the fuel sending unit to quit working. Other than that, I had good luck with that machine.
KHOP
What fuse problems did you have & what connector problem?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice pictures. I'm amazed that someone would leave that expensive tractor outside that long.
I do not understand that also. The up side to this is that if they had taken good care of it, I would not own it now.:lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Chris

I am in the process of restoring a X540 that was treated the same way. I have more than a few hours invested in rubbing compound but the effort is worth it. I am close to taking a few pictures of it but unfortunately I did not take any before pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris

I am in the process of restoring a X540 that was treated the same way. I have more than a few hours invested in rubbing compound but the effort is worth it. I am close to taking a few pictures of it but unfortunately I did not take any before pictures.

Sounds like a nice project Ron. I should have taken some pictures of the X745 after it dried off, but as usual I did not.
I rebuild alot of woodworking machines also. I very seldom remember to take before pictures. I just want to work on them & get them done. Usually the only before pictures are the ones I got from the seller.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An update.
I received the Service Manual for the X475 this week. With information from the manual I was able to test the fuel gauge sending unit that is in the fuel tank. I found that the sending unit worked correctly, but I had a problem with the float. I made some adjustments to the float & now I have a working fuel gauge.

I am giving up on getting the hour meter working. I am just going to install an add on hour meter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts