Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Newbie here.

I just bought a used 2002 x485 and I see the coolant level is below the low mark. I don't know what was used by the previous owner. From the manual, can I just add some additional COOL-GARD® PRE-DILUTED SUMMER COOLANT (TY16036) or should I drain all and replace first? I have about 950 hours. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
If you use it year round, I would do a flush and fill now.
If you only seasonally use it, and plan to store for the winter, I would wait until then to do a flush and fill.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
flush it and fill with new antifreeze-why take the chance-do it now and u know where u stand with it.

and welcome from south central pa.:wgtt:i have a x475-yr 2004--its got around 850 hrs on it now.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I would change the coolant if you have no record of the last time it was done. However I would avoid flushing out the system unless it really needs it. After draining the system see what it looks like inside the fill opening. A lot of crusty scale would be a sign it's needed. If not just refill with Cool Guard 2.
My experience has been it's very hard to remove all the flush/cleaner from the system afterwards.

Don't forget to wash out your overflow tank and fill with fresh mix. Inspect or replace the hose between the tank and radiator. Also test or just replace the pressure cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts