Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a x485 with 330 hrs on it and it smokes whitish blue when I engage the mower pto. Just a small puff of black smoke when I crank it. What is wrong? It only does this when I engage the blades and it's a constant smoke as I cut. Oil level is fine and full service was just done 2 hrs ago.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Just bought a x485 with 330 hrs on it and it smokes whitish blue when I engage the mower pto. Just a small puff of black smoke when I crank it. What is wrong? It only does this when I engage the blades and it's a constant smoke as I cut. Oil level is fine and full service was just done 2 hrs ago.
What are you using for oil?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a diesel and I'm not sure about the oil because the local John Deere dealer serviced it for me last week.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's not a diesel and I'm not sure about the oil because the local John Deere dealer serviced it for me last week.
Ok gas engine- I would try to start looking at fuel system settings, possibly bad gaskets changing fuel air ratios. Sorry I have no answers for you. Worst case would be internal engine problems, but if were me I would go though all the basics at least twice. Maybe nothing more than adjustments. Good luck & let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer says my mower has been run hot or low on oil and is suggesting a new engine. Says oil is leaking into cylinder. He doesn't recommend rebuilding if I plan on keeping along time. New engine he is suggesting is the same one in the x738 I believe and runs about 3k installed. What should I do?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Dealer says my mower has been run hot or low on oil and is suggesting a new engine. Says oil is leaking into cylinder. He doesn't recommend rebuilding if I plan on keeping along time. New engine he is suggesting is the same one in the x738 I believe and runs about 3k installed. What should I do?
How much do you have into it? Was the issue disclosed when you bought it, if not, can you go back to the seller? On the other hand, you can't really sell it like that, and come out on it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
That's not bad. Having 4800 into a low hour machine with a new engine wouldn't be bad. I would still be tempted to crack it open and see how bad the engine really is. If you did the work yourself, an overhaul wouldn't cost that much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts