Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an x485 with 332 hours on it. When I steer to full lock left or right the steering will will slowly keep traveling even though the wheels are at full lock. Is this normal? If not what could be the issue?

thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Completely normal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? There is nothing in the manual about it. And all x485 units do this? Thanks for the quick reply btw!

·
Registered
280 Posts
my 455 does this, its i wouldnt keep forcing it that much just to avoid damage

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Yes, this is an anomaly with hydrostatic steering-there is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheel. What is happening is the fluid is bypassing the orbital steering valve. Enjoy your x485.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yup, I learned the hard way. I am a little funny about things like the steering wheel being square with the world (when the tractor is pointed straight). So, when I first got my 2520 I proceeded to pull the steering wheel off and reposition it (not all that easy). :banghead: Only to have it all out of whack the next time I used it. Somethings you just have to live with. :cray: Ssshhhhhsss, don't tell Pete.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the follow up guys and I'll stop worrying about it :cool:

My grandpa passed away recently and this was his x485 so it has a lot of sentimental meaning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
X485 not starting

I just bought the 1026R and gave theX485 to my daughter and son-in-law and we are planting 1 acre of grass. It was fine for 2 days and would not start yesterday had to tow it up the field. He checked the battery and it is good. No sound while trying to start just dead checked the seat saftey switch also and tapped the starter nothing. There is only 380 hrs on it and never had any problems the gas gauge is not working also but was not out of gas. Any sugestions on this?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Is the PTO engaged? Parking break on? 99% of the time it is something simple like this we over look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
steering wheel position on 970

Very normal. You will also notice that your steering wheel is not always in the same position when you are going straight forward. All part of hydro steering.

Yes, thank you and Kennyd. On my recently purchased 970, I noticed yesterday that when traveling down the road transporting the tractor to pick up stone, the knob on the wheel was in different positions at different times with the wheel still tracking straight.

I thought that it was something to do with the non-mechanical linkage power steering.

Another observation, at low RPM with a bigger load in the loader the steering is a little resistant while turning the wheel to position the tractor without moving. I assume this is because I am at idle.

Glad to find this the above wheel position post by searching before posting a question.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts