Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:greentractorride:
Hi gentlemen and ladies too,

I have a x495 with an angling quick hitch with a 54" blade. I just recently bought a used 47" blower from a jd dealer under the table, was a fun time as the dealer said shaft and bearing for a 455 would work on mine. 900km round trip to find out it doesnt fit. After a delay and voicing my displeasure with the service manager, they corrected their mistake and got me a shaft and bracket BM 24361. It seemed to work fine during initial test. Tried it yesterday on some snow we got. Got it attached to the quick hitch, plugged the pto shaft in, disconnected the angling hydraulic hoses and put the locking pin in the quick hitch to keep it straight, connected the chute lines and away I went. So with the quick hitch on float, got to the edge of the driveway and the blower angled downwards and made a straining sound while running, it wasnt happy. Did my neighbors driveway and started to notice the blower was getting noisy, like bearing noisy. When I was done, started to disconnect (it wont fit in my garage still attached) the chain drive was tight and binding and gears were out of alignment. (chain was checked prior to use ) Then I noticed the inside bearing on the shaft with the small gear, was cracked, the collar. To me, it seems as though the 2 pto shafts connected are too short and pulled the small shaft out, causing the bearing damage and chain misalignment. Can anyone shed some light on this problem, something that I dont see, maybe someone has had this problem before, is one of the shafts too short?

Thanks for your time in reading my short story,
Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Looks like your going to need a new bearing and possibility a new shaft.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A picture of the other side of the assembly would help a bit. The implement shaft should not impact the gear drive assembly, I've had those bearings fail before, they are wear items.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I guess a trip to my local jd dealer is in order, with all the part numbers in hand. The pto shaft seems to be the right one on the tractor, works without issue but the shaft from the blower is too short. Looks like it actually pulled the blower shaft out, the locking ring slid, broke the bearing and screwed up the chain alignment. Wonder if I can get a longer female end of the blower shaft, that connects to the blower, at the universal joint. Only need maybe an extra 2". Thanks for your help. Will post what I can find out from the dealer. IMG_2547.JPG

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
Yes the short driveshaft is probably different from a 455 to x495. Ive yet to see that be the same, I would have been surprised if the long shaft and carrier bearings matched as the dealer claimed.

The correct shaft will set you back a bit. $$$$. You need the correct complete one. Only changing 1/2 will bind when raised.

I would double check the upstop while you are at the dealer, I'd put odds at 50/50 on that.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
9,374 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just checked JD parts and the short driveshaft is not the same for 455 and x495
I agree that it is a different implement (short) driveshaft. What shouldn't be different is the shaft that the sprocket is mounted to. I moved my 47SB from a 445 to a 1025R, all that was needed for the snow blower itself was a implement drive and up-stop kit and a hose relocation kit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just spent 2 hrs at my local dealer. 3 guys were working on it to find a soultion, ordering factory parts to modify the current short driveshaft. A new shaft for the x495 is $600 and the upstop kit is $400. But they dont know if they can get one. There are part restrictions on parts being sold to quebec dealers cause the warning stickers are not in french!! Hope they'll give me good news in the morning!:cheers: Time to break out the fireball!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
The upstop kit (upstop and 2 warning labels) is $114 here, the shaft is $414.

Are you near the boarder? There may me a us member near the same border that could pickup parts for you.
I could help him if he was in southern Ontario.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you gentlemen for your offers. I was shown a list of dealers that have the upstop kit bm23236 (bracket and driveshaft, cheaper in a kit than separate) and one in plattsburg ny has one. I might just end up going for a drive one day. Local dealer called when I was out, too late to call back. Will see what they found out tomm.
:banghead:

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for your offers. I was shown a list of dealers that have the upstop kit bm23236 (bracket and driveshaft, cheaper in a kit than separate) and one in plattsburg ny has one. I might just end up going for a drive one day. Local dealer called when I was out, too late to call back. Will see what they found out tomm.
:banghead:
Nice. If that's not the closest dealer to you they can transfer it to a more convenient one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update!
Called my local dealer, he can get a BM 25772 (new style)driveshaft for $395 canadian, will take a week to get, 9th of jan!

I called the plattsburg jd dealer, he has the BM23236 upstop kit,(old style) bracket and pto shaft for $253 US. With exchange, $326 CAN, and duty/taxes, $370. WOuld save me 25$ which Id burn in gas to get it. Plus side, he has it, had it in his hands and measured it for me. The short shaft I have on my blower from a 455 is 16 3/4" from end to end. The new shaft BM23236 is 19 1/2" end to end! $400 for an extra 3 f****** inches!! Some ladies may think its worth it, but I could put that cash to better use elsewhere. Maybe I can sell the 455 driveshaft for a couple of $ to help pay for the new shaft.
A couple of friends said you got the shaft alright from that dealer!!

Gotta find a money tree!! :gizmo::gizmo:
:plowsnow::plowsnow:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Update!
Called my local dealer, he can get a BM 25772 (new style)driveshaft for $395 canadian, will take a week to get, 9th of jan!

I called the plattsburg jd dealer, he has the BM23236 upstop kit,(old style) bracket and pto shaft for $253 US. With exchange, $326 CAN, and duty/taxes, $370. WOuld save me 25$ which Id burn in gas to get it. Plus side, he has it, had it in his hands and measured it for me. The short shaft I have on my blower from a 455 is 16 3/4" from end to end. The new shaft BM23236 is 19 1/2" end to end! $400 for an extra 3 f****** inches!! Some ladies may think its worth it, but I could put that cash to better use elsewhere. Maybe I can sell the 455 driveshaft for a couple of $ to help pay for the new shaft.
A couple of friends said you got the shaft alright from that dealer!!

Gotta find a money tree!! :gizmo::gizmo:
:plowsnow::plowsnow:
In the N.Falls (US) they have a place that a lot of Canadians go to,its like a UPS store with PO boxes,anyway they get stuff shipped there then take it back over the border saves them quite a bit.I know the exchange rate now is a killer now but when it was just about par,the stores over here had a hard time keeping the shelves stocked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, took the trip to plattsburg for the upstop kit, with exchange and duty/taxes, worked out to the same price as I would have paid up here in canada. But I now have it.
Did the work on it on sunday, installing the new bearings and getting things aligned, bad bearing behind the impeller too, so shes good to go now. Will try it later today on my front lawn! Haha.
Thank you gentlemen for your help with this, will attach a couple of pics of it. And the jd dealer might (thats a big might) help me sell the old shaft and upstop bracket.

Now just waiting on the snow!!

Kevin

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts