Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 X495- Diesel, I went to start it, the glow plugs cycled, then when I tried to start it, It started to turn over, but as if the battery was weak. After that I smelled some sort of electrical short, like something had burnt. After that nothing when I turned the key to start. I charged the battery and now when you turn the key on the glow plugs cycle and when you go to start it nothing, the lights don't dim like there is a power draw. Smells like something burned up, can't see anything.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Our technical staff will be with you in due time, please keep checking back, in the mean time have yourself a lovely afternoon.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
When you click on the key, keep the lights on and see if you can see any power draw from the glow plugs.

I would trace the large wires leaving the battery and looked for cooked wire insulation. Check around the starter solenoid. If you have a multi-meter, see if you are getting power to the solenoid.

More knowledgable people will be here soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you click on the key, keep the lights on and see if you can see any power draw from the glow plugs.

I would trace the large wires leaving the battery and looked for cooked wire insulation. Check around the starter solenoid. If you have a multi-meter, see if you are getting power to the solenoid.

More knowledgable people will be here soon.
The headlights don't seem to dim, when you push the brake pedal down to start you can hear the solenoid engage the glow plugs. When turning the start key the headlights don't dim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks, new to this, I am stuck out in the wilderness and my x495 glow plugs are bust I think, its turning over fine but wont start, now forgive me but I need to find the location of the plugs and I just taught this would be the quickest way, I did do some searching on the net but got nothing conclusive,

so I reckoned if I posted here there would be no confusion,

Thank you in advance,

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Aces.

Hi folks, new to this, I am stuck out in the wilderness and my x495 glow plugs are bust I think, its turning over fine but wont start, now forgive me but I need to find the location of the plugs and I just taught this would be the quickest way, I did do some searching on the net but got nothing conclusive,

so I reckoned if I posted here there would be no confusion,

Thank you in advance,
According to JDParts the x495 tractor has the choice of two engine options that you'll need to know before you start ordering parts. Here is a parts diagram that may help you out. Item number 1 is the glow plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you have some starting fluid with you, while you crank the engine give it a SHORT shot of fluid. if it starts your glow plugs might be the problem. If it don't start it may be a fuel filter. Remember if you do use starting fluid use with caution as too much can lock up the engine tell all the fluid evaporates.
Hope you get fixed!

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
I don't think I would use starting fluid (ether) at all. No offense, but I don't think it's safe to use in a small diesel. I don't like it at all. It's just so hard on the engine. I've seen lots of problems associated with starting fluid. Some develop a bottle feeding habit that can't be broken. In other words it won't ever start cold without it. I don't believe that will be an issue in this case however. Ether is very dangerous especially in small engines. Be careful if you go this route.

The only thing I use ether for is a cheap parts cleaner, never for engine starting. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

A hard starting diesel can be something as simple as a low battery. If the engine isn't spun over fast enough, there won't be enough heat built up for combustion. That is what the glow plugs do. They add heat until the engine has developed some on its own. A volt meter can tell you if the glow plug circuit is working and if your battery has a full charge. It was already mentioned about the possibility of the fuel filter being a problem.

Keep us posted on what you find, solution or symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think I would use starting fluid (ether) at all. No offense, but I don't think it's safe to use in a small diesel. I don't like it at all. It's just so hard on the engine. I've seen lots of problems associated with starting fluid. Some develop a bottle feeding habit that can't be broken. In other words it won't ever start cold without it. I don't believe that will be an issue in this case however. Ether is very dangerous especially in small engines. Be careful if you go this route.

The only thing I use ether for is a cheap parts cleaner, never for engine starting. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

A hard starting diesel can be something as simple as a low battery. If the engine isn't spun over fast enough, there won't be enough heat built up for combustion. That is what the glow plugs do. They add heat until the engine has developed some on its own. A volt meter can tell you if the glow plug circuit is working and if your battery has a full charge. It was already mentioned about the possibility of the fuel filter being a problem.

Keep us posted on what you find, solution or symptoms.

The post said he was stuck in the wilderness! That is why I stressed if he did have starting fluid with him to use Short shots while the engin was turning over, I to am VERY aware of the troubles of starting fluid. All I was saying was if the tractor started and ran, Glow plugs were a possiable place to start, if not a fuel filter is a heck of a lot cheaper than plugs. as far as using either for cleaning parts I buy brake cleaner by the case, its evan cheaper, does a better and without the nasty either fumes. Either does however make a great bead sealer on flat tubeless tires, their again when used sparingly.

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
Jeff, I didn't mean to offend you. That's just my opinion. I agree, you offered a possible solution - no argument. Starting fluid can be a polarizing subject.

I've just seen more harm than good out of ether.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Jeff, I didn't mean to offend you. That's just my opinion. I agree, you offered a possible solution - no argument. Starting fluid can be a polarizing subject.

I've just seen more harm than good out of ether.

No offense taken! Sorry if I came across like that. Was just trying to give him a quick way to see what the problem might be.

·
Administrator
17,481 Posts
I would NEVER use ether on the GP equipped engine unless you are absolutly sure the GP's are burnt out or otherwise disabled, the risk is far to great-like a cracked head.

The GP's should be tested first with a voltmeter to see if they are getting power while cranking, if they are then they need to be tested with a ohm-meter to ensure they are good. Good GP's should read near zero ohms.

If you are familiar with gasoline engines, then the GP's are in the same relative space the spark plugs would be, they will have one wire going to them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would NEVER use ether on the GP equipped engine unless you are absolutly sure the GP's are burnt out or otherwise disabled, the risk is far to great-like a cracked head.

The GP's should be tested first with a voltmeter to see if they are getting power while cranking, if they are then they need to be tested with a ohm-meter to ensure they are good. Good GP's should read near zero ohms.

If you are familiar with gasoline engines, then the GP's are in the same relative space the spark plugs would be, they will have one wire going to them.
Same goes for diesel powered engines with a heater block. ( IE Cummins engines) If you want to use ether on these type of engines I agree with Kenny 100% disable the heating source be it a glowplug or heater block. Bad things can happen when ether is introduced.

·
Registered
280 Posts
before going to glow plugs... lets just make sure of a few things:

1. Fuel- is the fuel visible in the fuel filter??? i would also change the fuel filter
2. Battery- is there more than 12 volts on the battery?

also was this a "sudden" happening, or was this over a period of time getting worse? i ask that because glow plugs dont usually go bad over night.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another "emergency starting aid" for diesels is a hair dryer.....had a friend with an older Ford service truck with a tired powerstroke....colder weather and it would crank but not start....got out a hair dryer and ran it on high for serveral minutes blowing hot air into the intake snout/air cleaner...the truck fired right up after that. It was somewhat of a "desparation attempt" on my part but it worked....I was more than a little surprised.

This may not help if you are truly stuck in the wilderness, but you could power a hair dryer from an inverter and vehicle battery.....good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Cool tip!

Or should I say Hot tip. :thumbup1gif:

Thanks, Fred.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts