Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the x500 left and right hand holds / toolbox could be retrofitted on my x300? Besides a fuel gauge, the hand holds are the most overlooked item on the x300. I see all the parts on jdparts.com, but I can't tell if the could easily fit on the x300.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Now that is a very good question

Sorry, I can not answer your question directly. But, they sure look like you could do something to make them work. You must be on some hilly terrain? Here are the diagrams for others to reference.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Maybe you can go by a dealer and take some measurements on these tractors at their dealership. The fender decks, though, have different part numbers on JD Parts. But that doesn't mean you couldn't get it to work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Randy and T-Mo.

As for hills, we're fairly flat, but have a raised septic bed that is steep though short. I find the handles - just like on the 2320 - make getting on and off a lot easier. I'm not huge - 6' / 195, but even with the seat pushed all the way back the position of the seat and steering column on the x300 seems awkward for me to get on and off. I think the handles will make it a little easier for the wife and kids too.

And the prices aren't crazy for these few parts.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
When I had a GT I always found I put one hand on fender or if there was a handle I used it. Even on flat ground.

Just found it better on my body while getting bounced around.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I think the handles will make it a little easier for the wife and kids too.

And the prices aren't crazy for these few parts.
Yup, the handles are...........shall I say handy. :mocking: So, does this mean you are going to risk buying the parts and try it out?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, the handles are...........shall I say handy. :mocking: So, does this mean you are going to risk buying the parts and try it out?
I think I will roll the dice. While I'm at it I think I'll add the x500 rear reflectors too. From the drawings they sort of look like they are surface mounted - maybe with two sided adhesive? They sure would look better than just a few inches of reflective tape.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts ordered

Naturally these aren't everyday replacement items, so my dealer will have to order them, but I"ve placed the order through jdparts.com.

I ordered the rear reflectors - I bet I can find a method to make them work on the back of the x300. I ordered the x500 toolbox as well and will see if I can make it work on the x300. Like others have stated the cutouts are probably different, and not having an x500 side by side to compare means this is a $19 gamble.

I had posted this same question on one of the other large tractor forums, and got some good advice there as well. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Naturally these aren't everyday replacement items, so my dealer will have to order them, but I"ve placed the order through jdparts.com.

I ordered the rear reflectors - I bet I can find a method to make them work on the back of the x300. I ordered the x500 toolbox as well and will see if I can make it work on the x300. Like others have stated the cutouts are probably different, and not having an x500 side by side to compare means this is a $19 gamble.

I had posted this same question on one of the other large tractor forums, and got some good advice there as well. Hope it works out.
what?.....there are other forums? :nunu: When you get 'er done,Randy would like pics.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
When you get 'er done,Randy would like pics.
:thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif:

And not just photos, we'll want all the details on how this project turns out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
x500 reflector install

OK, here we go.

The reflectors came in from the dealer and I got to work last week (just getting time to update things now).

Here's the left side before getting in to things:
IMAGE_3B3BC7EF-B730-4156-818C-6508AAB540B3.JPG

Here's the left reflector sitting on top of the rear deck for sizing:
IMAGE_36CC61D9-E853-4A7C-B679-810C8FDDA3B9.JPG

Here's both reflectors prior to install:
IMAGE_BF1E2DC6-47CF-45E4-9CCB-99190B35415C.JPG

So then I got busy attaching the reflectors. I considered removing the 3 tabs that hold each one on and using two sided tape, but ultimately decided on drilling holes in the deck. I made stuck each reflector through a piece of cardboard (the three tabs pushed through) and cut the cardboard out to the shape of the reflector, and cut them out to size. Then I positioned the templates on the back of the deck and marked the center of the holes once I was happy. Then, with a large drill bit (I forget how big as I type this, but it was big - 7/16 maybe?) I drilled 6 holes through the back deck of my brand new x300. I deburred the holes the best I could with a circular rasp file, and then mounted the reflectors. Unfortunately, in my haste to get going I neglected to take any pictures during the process.... sorry!

And one more thing on drilling - I placed a piece of wood between the deck and the gas tank prior to drilling the left side so I wouldn't puncture the tank.

Here is the rear deck now...
IMAGE_346091D6-5493-4F7C-967B-EABF6E0D6FCD.JPG

I'm thrilled with the look - it is much better IMO than using stick on reflector tape on the rear of the deck. I did, however, use stick on yellow reflector tape on both sides of my brush guard to make the front visible from the side.

The hand holds will have to wait... but they are on the to-do list.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Side photo

Here is a side photo of my x300 (with my pal borrowing it to roll his lawn). You can see the front reflector stuck to the side of the brush guard.
x300-side.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Looking Good Whito!

:good2::good2::good2::good2:

Nice job. That will fool someone in years to come.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts