Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 X500 out of warranty. Transmission seems to work properly while running or cutting grass. However, with the engine turned off, I can easily push the tractor forward without pulling the transmission release lever at the rear. But I have to pull the lever out to move backwards by hand.

Just visited the dealer, East Coast Equipment Co. service manager, and he informed me that the transmission is a non-repairable, remove and replace unit. $900.00 + labor estimate.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Does this mean that the transmission is on its way to the junk pile?

ANOTHER BIT OF INFO: For about three years, the engine would cut off and backfire occasionally under load, and then starting to do it about 5 times per hour. Replacing the ECU (electronic control unit) seems to have fixed the problem. Anyway, it recently cut grass for about 5 hours without cutting out.

More info: Unit has about 285 hours on it.

Thanks everyone!
Cliff

·
Registered
99 Posts
Preacher,

#1) If the machine is "working properly while running or cutting grass" as you stated,
I would probably be hesitant to do anything. If your tranny release was not working
properly the machine would not move when pushing the pedals.

#2) The K72 transmission is very tough and not likely to need replaced.

#3) $900.00 for a K72 is an unheard of price.

#4) Just FYI, the K72 is repairable, just not by that dealer.

#5) Make sure you've got the lever pushed all the way in.

·
Premium Member
12,186 Posts
Preacher,

#1) If the machine is "working properly while running or cutting grass" as you stated,
I would probably be hesitant to do anything. If your tranny release was not working
properly the machine would not move when pushing the pedals.
Ditto!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
X500 Transmission

Thanks fellows! I have very good reasons to believe you have given me accurate information, which is contrary to what my J. D. service manager said.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Now why can't Deere price their manuals more like this one $19.99
Because Deere manuals are the real thing and not a counterfeit CD being sold illegally through a Here Today, Gone Tomorrow website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts