Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I owned an X300 for over 10 years, then gave it to my son-in-law. I replaced it with an X500 which I'm happy with as a mower. But...
I'd sure like to run some attachments, so keep eyeballing a1025R...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hi, I owned an X300 for over 10 years, then gave it to my son-in-law. I replaced it with an X500 which I'm happy with as a mower. But...
I'd sure like to run some attachments, so keep eyeballing a1025R...

Welcome.

You can run attachments on your X500. It has a heavy duty transmission unlike the X3xx series tractors. It is rated for ground engaging attachments Either a plow on the front or add a sleeve hitch to the back. You can get the hitch in either power or manual. The only real downside is no front end loader is available for it. However you can add a Johnny Bucket Jr to the front. You can move all kinds of stuff with it. The same company makes a nice electric powered sleeve hitch for your tractor.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome! Ignore H-D dealer dude and buy the 1025R, we're good at spending other peoples money! :)

PS - What do you want your tractor to do? The current X500 line is a good machine and may well do what you would like. That being said, buy the 1025R! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome! Ignore H-D dealer dude and buy the 1025R, we're good at spending other peoples money! :)

PS - What do you want your tractor to do? The current X500 line is a good machine and may well do what you would like. That being said, buy the 1025R! :bigthumb:
What he said! :laugh: I had a GT275 before I pulled the trigger on my 1025R, which I also gave to my SIL. You would love having that 1025R with the FEL and a set of forks for it, so handy. You only live once, go for it, its only :gizmo:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,774 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Super Moderator
5,494 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
What he said! :laugh: I had a GT275 before I pulled the trigger on my 1025R, which I also gave to my SIL. You would love having that 1025R with the FEL and a set of forks for it, so handy. You only live once, go for it, its only :gizmo:
What both these guys said. That's how I ended up with a x758 over a x590. Could have been worse I could have went straight to a 2 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

You can always buy a bigger better tractor. However what you have can also do a fair amount of work for the money that you already spent.

I'm sure that the JD dealers are the same as the H-D dealers. They just LOVE trading in stuff that was a wrong fit purchase. lol
Every time they make some kind of commission. Heck I even seen guys buy their old bike back. More than once! lol
One old guy traded a 2015 V Rod for a brand new 2017 Sportster on Friday. Bought a better seat and ordered a bigger fuel tank on Saturday (it was raining this day). Sunday was a nice day so he finally rode the bike. Monday he came in to get the V Rod back. He also wanted to return the seat and cancel the tank. He was more than happy to pay the restocking fee for the parts. I don't know what the sales department rocked him. lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well I need to dress some of the ground around here -ruts left by a bobcat when sod was laid and I need to moderate the slope behind my shop and adjust drainage. Soil is a very fine "sugar" sand; once you disturb the vegetation crust it fluffs like powder. I buried my X500 to the axle the first day I had it when the mower deck hit a drift and it just dug itself in.

After that, well I'm sure I could think of something...

I've looked at the Johnny Busket videos, makes a tempting alternative, just not sure how it and my base X500 would fare in this fine sand.

·
Administrator
20,477 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Let us know when you pull the trigger. :good2: :greentractorride:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well I need to dress some of the ground around here -ruts left by a bobcat when sod was laid and I need to moderate the slope behind my shop and adjust drainage. Soil is a very fine "sugar" sand; once you disturb the vegetation crust it fluffs like powder. I buried my X500 to the axle the first day I had it when the mower deck hit a drift and it just dug itself in.

After that, well I'm sure I could think of something...

I've looked at the Johnny Busket videos, makes a tempting alternative, just not sure how it and my base X500 would fare in this fine sand.
Well, if you are looking to move a fair bit of dirt with something like a box blade or a land plane you would likely want a 3-point. At that point I really would recommend a 1 series over a x5xx or x7xx tractor. They are just better at ground engaging workloads. The Johnny Bucket is a nice option but does not compare to a front end loader or a decent size dirt scoop in my opinion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if you are looking to move a fair bit of dirt with something like a box blade or a land plane you would likely want a 3-point. At that point I really would recommend a 1 series over a x5xx or x7xx tractor. They are just better at ground engaging workloads. The Johnny Bucket is a nice option but does not compare to a front end loader or a decent size dirt scoop in my opinion.
I had been thinking that a box blade would be the best tool for dressing the areas in mind. Also thinking that 4wd/awd might fair better as well. Plus I really like the idea of the drive on/drive off mower deck...;-)

But, a big step in $$$, for what will likely be an infrequent need. ��

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had been thinking that a box blade would be the best tool for dressing the areas in mind. Also thinking that 4wd/awd might fair better as well. Plus I really like the idea of the drive on/drive off mower deck...;-)

It is a big jump in price coming from a X500. I was looking at a X758 so I think I actually got a better deal with the 1 series. Not trying to push you but JD does have pretty good financing deals on occasion. I don't know what they have right now but I did 84 month 0% interest.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It is a big jump in price coming from a X500. I was looking at a X758 so I think I actually got a better deal with the 1 series. Not trying to push you but JD does have pretty good financing deals on occasion. I don't know what they have right now but I did 84 month 0% interest.

Well, I test drove one (1025R) today. No implements/FEL yet, it was a new shipment. OMG! The steering was so light it seemed I could crank the thing around almost on top of itself. I know the book says 7.4' radius, but no way it was that large. Very nimble, but the different location of the brake takes some adjustment. Running through some rough spots, I found I'm still bottoming out the seat (6'3", 260 lbs). That is an issue with my X500 as well. It will also take some adjustment to have to stop and go to neutral before making any changes to 2wd/4wd However, while a good test it doesn't really tell me how it will handle the sugar sand on my place.

Dealer gave me a good quote on unit with FEL. Also Trying to make up my mind which provides most versatility/utility in tasks -a box blade or rotary tiller.

If I proceed, I think I'm going to forgo the mid deck or drag behind mower. Neither will do as good a job (I think) as the X500 for that one task. If I sell the X500 or transfer it to a relative, then I'd have to get the mower attachment for the 1025R.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I test drove one (1025R) today. No implements/FEL yet, it was a new shipment. OMG! The steering was so light it seemed I could crank the thing around almost on top of itself. I know the book says 7.4' radius, but no way it was that large. Very nimble, but the different location of the brake takes some adjustment. Running through some rough spots, I found I'm still bottoming out the seat (6'3", 260 lbs). That is an issue with my X500 as well. It will also take some adjustment to have to stop and go to neutral before making any changes to 2wd/4wd However, while a good test it doesn't really tell me how it will handle the sugar sand on my place.

Dealer gave me a good quote on unit with FEL. Also Trying to make up my mind which provides most versatility/utility in tasks -a box blade or rotary tiller.

If I proceed, I think I'm going to forgo the mid deck or drag behind mower. Neither will do as good a job (I think) as the X500 for that one task. If I sell the X500 or transfer it to a relative, then I'd have to get the mower attachment for the 1025R.
Yeah, the seat springs could be better. Ken's bolt-on sells better springs along with many other nice additions. I would also recommend checking out Tractor Time with Tim on YouTube, it has a lot of useful information.

I don't really have a recommendation for box blade vs tiller except to say if you garden the tiller may make more sense.

I also can't speak to the mowing. I have only had a 445 and 1025R from John Deere. Both had 54" decks and have been excellent. The 445 was the equivalent to the current X7xx series of tractors although I do think that the X7xx and 1 Series have heavier duty decks than the current X3xx/X5xx tractors. I don't have any direct experience with that, it's just an observation from looking at them at the dealer.

Also, from what I understand, it can cost a bit more to add a deck and lift mechanism after the fact.

Good luck with your choices!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, I ordered a 1025R, just waiting on the dealer to round up an FEL.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts

Well, I ordered a 1025R, just waiting on the dealer to round up an FEL.
What was that you said about the drive over mower deck??

:wgtt: and Congrats!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What was that you said about the drive over mower deck??

:wgtt: and Congrats!!! :bigthumb:
That I like the idea of it. However, the reality is I don't need it as long as I have my X500, and at $3500 quoted by the dealer for cost plus setup, can't justify it since it doesn't do anything the X500 doesn't for mowing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts