Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone long time lurker here. Great site! Anyhow I am having a hard time justifying a scut although I do really want one. I'm only maintaining 2 acres currently. I do have ground to move and a garden is in the works once I remove some trees.My question is can an x500 handle pulling a box blade and ripping up an existing compacted gravel drive? Potholes are driving me nuts and I need to rip it up. My drive is about 300 feet long opening to a 6 car parking area infront of my garage/shop. Now my machine will be primarily a mower 90% of the time. But an fel would be great as I cut a lot of wood and also have access to 20 acres behind my house which I will be cutting up anything dead/fallen. My entire house needs re graded to move water from my foundation and I also have to create a trench/ swell on one side to direct water between my septic , propane tank, and house (not much room on this side of house). Any way given those circumstances what do you think? Thanks everyone I included an over head shot of my property

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

Do you own the 20-acres you mentioned in your post, or are they owned by someone else giving you access?

Ideally you need a dedicated lawn tractor (X500) and a SCUT/CUT for everything else.

I'm trying to convince myself to get a AWS X700 series just for mowing duties as I'm tired of my Big Box Mart grade Deere L130. I don't need all that the X700 series has to offer as I don't mow that often; I just want it to make mowing less of a headache, especially as I get older.

I have a CUT for non-mowing duties.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The x500 is a good lawn mower, however its too light duty for some of jobs you listed.

A 1025r would be a better fit for you. It may even be a bit small for going in the woods.

Buy as much tractor as you can afford.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Really wish I owned the woods behind me. I am hoping the farmer sells it to me. Trying to keep a good relationship with him and help him out with small tasks. He doesn't like anyone else in our area so I think I am ahead if he sells :). But I have permission to hunt, take an atv, or small tractor to gather firewood. I would also love an x500 for mowing and a larger fel for work described. But that will never happen . I am really shooting for a one truck pony to do all tasks . I looked into the zero turn and atv route but I am not a fan of that. My neighbor has that setup and is very limited to basically snow plowing and recreational riding. A sub cut I feel is my best bet and I know I won't complain about an fel. I used to run all kinds of equipment but my favorite was a 4x4 Steiner we had 3 of em when I used to lay block. Those little bastards were tough as nails!
I recently tooled around on my friends brand new bx2370 and I was amazed at how nimble it was with fel off and mmm. I almost mowed his whole property I didn't want to get off. I actually really liked that bx felt solid. For ripping up my driveway with a box blade how bad is the 1/4" valve on the kubota vs position control on the 1025r for tasks like that?
Also driving the bota around made me hate my d120 lawn mower. But I got it for 500$ with 30 hrs on it the first summer we moved in.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,671 Posts
I agree with mjncad and ejb69. A SCUT or CUT is what you really need.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Really wish I owned the woods behind me. I am hoping the farmer sells it to me. Trying to keep a good relationship with him and help him out with small tasks. He doesn't like anyone else in our area so I think I am ahead if he sells :). But I have permission to hunt, take an atv, or small tractor to gather firewood. I would also love an x500 for mowing and a larger fel for work described. But that will never happen . I am really shooting for a one truck pony to do all tasks . I looked into the zero turn and atv route but I am not a fan of that. My neighbor has that setup and is very limited to basically snow plowing and recreational riding. A sub cut I feel is my best bet and I know I won't complain about an fel. I used to run all kinds of equipment but my favorite was a 4x4 Steiner we had 3 of em when I used to lay block. Those little bastards were tough as nails!
I recently tooled around on my friends brand new bx2370 and I was amazed at how nimble it was with fel off and mmm. I almost mowed his whole property I didn't want to get off. I actually really liked that bx felt solid. For ripping up my driveway with a box blade how bad is the 1/4" valve on the kubota vs position control on the 1025r for tasks like that?
Also driving the bota around made me hate my d120 lawn mower. But I got it for 500$ with 30 hrs on it the first summer we moved in.
I upgraded from a 1986 JD180 lawnmower to a 1025R and the 1025R outperforms it in every way (including turning radius.)

FWIW....0 down 0% interest netted me a $279 payment for 72 months. Equipped per my signature below.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any thoughts on position control vs inching valve. I understand the concepts but is the inching valve something you just adjust and learn? Is it still capable of doing a nice even job on a gravel drive or yard?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'd bet a 1025R would do everything you ask it. I've got 2.2 acres and I've never been let down by my 1026R. I had a 318 and Polaris Scrambler combo when I moved here. The loader is so much nicer for yard tasks than my Yard Cart. I know you said it wouldn't happen, but for yard work having the 318 at my disposal is super handy. When I have the tiller and loader on my 1026R it's nice to have the 318 on the roller and spreader as 3 point attachments are kinda cumbersome to remove. It wasn't worth much for a trade in and I've never regretted keeping it. There are times I find reasons to use just to justify keeping it. Last week I "didn't" get to my lawn mowing duties in time so I "had" to fire up the 318 and run the lawn sweep over the yard. Worked pretty slick and its nice to get in the seat some.

An extra $.02. Get the snow blade system. 54" quick hitch blade. It's awesome! If you can't at first the loader will do the job. I got mine a year later and love it. I do wish it was built a little heavier so you use it for more than just snow.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Here's a shot of when I tore out an old concrete chunk retaining wall.

Here's a picture of a test garden I tilled.

Collecting some fire wood.

Here's the blade setup I mentioned. Man is it SLICK! I added the wings. Kind of a fun project.

Here's a few of a chunk of yard I fixed up.

I don't get any commission from JD. :lol: So this is just something I threw together to help spend your $$ :thumbup1gif:

Go look at a dealership and see what you think. Mine actually let me demo a 1026R to see how it fit my property.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Any thoughts on position control vs inching valve. I understand the concepts but is the inching valve something you just adjust and learn? Is it still capable of doing a nice even job on a gravel drive or yard?
Position control is a good thing, like cruise control in your car. An inching valve (what I call a floating control) is like not having cruise. Like you said, you get used to it. You have to look at your implement, which I do anyway. A little practice and you can do just as good a job. Actually sometimes better because you are paying more attention.

My last three tractors have had floating controls, and even when i get on a machine with position control I rarely use it.

If I was using it in an ag application and turning at the end of every row position control would be a very good thing. For what I do grading a drive or the yard, I just use what I have and a little operator skill.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great pics great setup! I am leaning toward the bx only because I really liked my friends . But I cannot commit until I drive a 1025r just wouldn't be right not testing it. I know with my equipment operator ing background I would quickly adapt to the inching valve but I hope I wouldn't regret it when it comes to driveway maintenance

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
A buddy of mine has a BX25D and loves it; but I prefer Deere's two pedal HST to Kubota's treadle system.

Anyway, since you have 2-acres, a X500 series would be fine for mowing and other light ground engaging chores; but a 10xx series SCUT (BX equivalent) would be better for all around work around your property.

If Deere is running a 0% for "X" months, take advantage of it and use their money instead of yours. Supposedly one can negotiate a 15% - 18% discount over MSRP based on posts I've read on GTT and other forums.

As I recall, you're east of the Big Muddy and as such should have plenty of choices in used equipment. In the arid west where I'm at, used equipment is rare, let alone good used iron.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty much convinced on a scut after mowing on my friends. I'm still really impressed with how well it did with that task for its size compared to my d120. I will agree kubota pedal setup was odd. I have looked at used and last time it was slim, need to look again but prefer new for some odd reason.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
With John Deere offering 60 and 72 month 0% it has sort of ruined the used 1 series market. If you have the extra cash I bet you can pick up a 1026/5R with H120, 60" MMM and rear ballest box with low hours for a great price. You might have to travel, but I've read many times that dealers don't want used 1 Series on their lot as the price would have to be super low to get someone interested. Just thought. I love my 1 series as many do, but I know a few on here have wanted to step up a series or two and the dealer was less than thrilled to take their clean low hour trade. Could be something to look into.

·
Super Moderator
4,966 Posts
I think the x500 would be fine for your mowing duties but you'd be beating it up pretty badly dragging a box blade that much and it just doesn't have the ground clearance for working in the woods.

I had a similar decision to make (2 acres, clearing woods, etc...) and ended up keeping my D160 for mowing duties and buying a 2032r for everything else. The ground clearance issue was really a biggie in my decision making. Driving over ruts, logs, stumps, rocks, etc... just wasn't possible with the smaller (x500/x700) tractors and I wanted more loader capacity for hauling logs and moving some of those rocks around.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Great pics great setup! I am leaning toward the bx only because I really liked my friends . But I cannot commit until I drive a 1025r just wouldn't be right not testing it. I know with my equipment operator ing background I would quickly adapt to the inching valve but I hope I wouldn't regret it when it comes to driveway maintenance
Definately take the time to operate both tractors. Try and get on one with a loader and mower setup so that you can get a real feel for how they work..and be picky about what you like and don't.

These are big investment toys and you are gonna plunk down some hard earned $. While everyone wants to believe that there well kept, well maintained equipment will hold its value, it really isn't the case when you go to trade (and color doesn't matter).

There are a couple different sizes of the 1 series with different options. While you are there, jump on a 2 series just for the grins. If you happen back by an orange dealer, try out one of the smaller B series. (mine doesn't have the dreaded banana peal pedal)

If the $ aren't a stretch, I would encourage you to go a "little bigger". While thinking "practically" is good, it is part toy. You will be supprised how much you will find to do with it. Just an example - I own 2 acres at the house.....I have "inherited" another 8 acres one place, 30 in another, and the better part of my brothers 75 - all just because I want to play.

And my "little bigger" tractor handles as good, if not better than my SCUT (2305). I grin like a bird fed cat everytime I get on it...:yahoo:

Enjoy shopping!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I had more land I would without a doubt buy bigger. Problem is this will be my mower. Lol I can see it now I keep my d120 park it next to my new scut and say hmmm which one to mow with..... New on it is! I would never drive that d120 after tooling around on my buddies bx. Just got further support from the boss! We got quoted 23,000$ for basement waterproofing. The rep did not like when I told him I'm debating on buying a small tractor/bh. Told him I could easily regrade and dig 3-4ft down my foundation seal and add my own drainage tile and say screw his interior drain system. I already have a perimeter drain and sump pump system. Needless to say after I told him all that he left with a bad attitude. Would rather spend 20,000 on a toy/tool!!! My water problem in basement consist of one corner and wall that never leaks just gets damp for the time being during heavy rains... 23,000$ kiss my a$$. Rant over sorry about that! But hey could be my first big project for a fel bb and bh!

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
See, you are already making a honey-do list......

Just enjoy the "shopping".

I mow with my CUT. Larger tires, not that much heavier, probably less pounds per sq inch of tire. (I haven't loaded the tires yet....)

Once I get my dirt work done, I'll be looking for a zero turn. :dance: At that point I'll be loading up the tires so that I can really start having fun clearing a 10+ acre wood lot...:yahoo:

A SCUT will be fine for what you have and will have enough so that you can take on some extra chores for fun and entertainment.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to rehash this but I hear about guys pulling box blades and graders with their atv. Why would an 800+lb dry x500 not do the same?

·
Super Moderator
4,966 Posts
Sorry to rehash this but I hear about guys pulling box blades and graders with their atv. Why would an 800+lb dry x500 not do the same?

Go do a couple of searches on guys dragging box blades with ATVs. Most of them are using Agri-Fab or Koplin scrapers. That's the same equipment designed for your D120 (which you could use too.). Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and knock on one of those scrapers. They're pretty light-weight and not really made for doing much more than moving around an inch or two of loose dirt. They work fine for leveling out a freshly tilled 20'x30' garden bed but.. they just aren't made for the sort of work you described.

It isn't that an x500 can't do it, it just can't do it WELL. You started this thread saying you had a 300' ft long hard-pack gravel driveway you wanted to tear up. You'll need 3 or 4 of those Koplin box blades because they're going to fall apart on you. And then it's going to take you a week of doing nothing but running back and forth over your driveway with the x500 to get done.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts