Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall, the X530 is a highly capable lawn tractor. I've owned mine for just over a year and I've been completely satisfied with tractor's ability to mow and plow heavy snow with the front blade. I especially appreciate the locking differential, which is one of the main reasons I decided on the X530. And the power steering is a real pleasure.

But I am VERY disappointed with the hydraulic lift. And I consider this a huge downfall. It will not hold my mower deck, or snow blade, in the upmost position for any length of time. I can mow my lawn, then raise the deck, drive out to the end of my driveway to get the mail (about 100 yards), and by the time I get back to the house the deck has fallen to the point that my deck wheels are riding on the ground.

Same story with my snow blade. If I want either implement to remain in the upmost position I have to keep reaching for the lift handle to raise them again. My previous tractor was a JD 345 with the hydraulic lift and this was NEVER an issue. When I'd raise the deck or blade, they would remain UP.

I was confident that this was a defect that would be handled under warranty. But that was not the case. When I described the problem to my local JD dealer (the dealer I purchased from) they picked up the tractor and had it for more than two weeks before they brought it back and told me that this issue was not only normal, but "allowable"?! They said that they raised the deck and let the tractor run for several minutes, and the amount of distance the deck crept down (lowered) was within John Deere's allowable specs! Perhaps my frustration has much to do with my experience with the 345 hydraulic lift, that never budged over 15 years of ownership, but I absolutely wish that my dealer had told me that the deck or blade would not remain in the upmost position after raising it... because I absolutely would NOT have paid for the hydraulic lift feature.

I still can't believe that this defect is known and tolerated by JD... or maybe my dealer's service department is just inept?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
741 Posts
That does not make sense to me. I have an x540 with no such problem and I can't imagine the design is any different than the x530.

I'd recommend calling Deere customer service.

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
My daughters FIL x585 (10+ yrs old) mower stays up one week to the next. I've come in and forgotten to lower the deck , the next week it is still in the raised position . Hard to believe they changed the x530 to a one way cylinder like the series 1 . I believe I would be calling another dealer and asking them about your problem. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My X540 will drop but it takes a few days at least. I normally lower the deck/blade when I park it any way.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
They all basically work this same way. When you have the deck in its most up position you are to use the lock up setting. Some are worse than others because of seal leakage. Here is a thread where I explain it a little more. Lift Thread

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
They all basically work this same way. When you have the deck in its most up position you are to use the lock up setting. Some are worse than others because of seal leakage. Here is a thread where I explain it a little more. Lift Thread
I don't think the garden tractors use a locking mechanism like the SCUT/CUT. They just use the cylinder to hold the deck in position.

Unless of course you changed the grass height knob to the highest setting every time you park the tractor which would be a PITA.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Unless of course you changed the grass height knob to the highest setting every time you park the tractor which would be a PITA.
Yup, just like the SCUTs. That is how my 2305 works. The highest setting is labeled lockup.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Yup, just like the SCUTs. That is how my 2305 works. The highest setting is labeled lockup.
Hmmm... the X530 manual makes no mention of such a feature. I have a X500 but looked at the X530 before my purchase and didn't remember seeing this.

As per the manual:

Transport Position (I assume transport position would also be used for Park)

Holds mower above ground level while traveling to and from worksite.

1. To place mower in the transport position:
Models with Mechanical Lift

• Push forward on lift pedal.
  • Pull up on mower lift lock lever to lock deck in transport (raised) position.
  • Remove foot from lift pedal and mower stays up.
Models with Hydraulic Lift

• Pull up on hydraulic mower lift lever to raise mower deck.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
So, how is mower cut height maintained?

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
So, how is mower cut height maintained?
[h=4]Mowing Position[/h]Mower floats along ground contour while maintaining desired cutting height. The mower will always float up and back down onto the depth stop.

1. To place mower in mowing position:

Models with Mechanical Lift

• Press lift pedal, making sure mower lift lock lever is in lower position; select cut height on knob and release pedal to lower deck.
Models with Hydraulic Lift

• Pull up on hydraulic mower lift lever to raise mower deck. Select cut height on knob. Press down on hydraulic mower lift handle to lower deck.

This is why I mentioned in my earlier post that one possible method would be to change the cut height to the highest position every time you park it. That is a bit of a PITA and according to the manual it is not required for transport.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
OK, I just assumed since it functions exactly like my 2305 they would be the same. Not sure I see the pita thing, it is just twisting a knob. And you are correct, it is an option to set it at its highest setting.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
OK, I just assumed since it functions exactly like my 2305 they would be the same. Not sure I see the pita thing, it is just twisting a knob.
I'm lazy. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
OK, I just assumed since it functions exactly like my 2305 they would be the same. Not sure I see the pita thing, it is just twisting a knob. And you are correct, it is an option to set it at its highest setting.
Guessing your aware of this , But the hyd lift isn't the same as the sub compacts. On the sub compacts a one way cyl . ,lifts the mower up and then it will leak back down on it own

The x530 is 2 way, Lift it up should stay up till you move the lever to lower the deck.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Guessing your aware of this , But the hyd lift isn't the same as the sub compacts. On the sub compacts a one way cyl . ,lifts the mower up and then it will leak back down on it own

The x530 is 2 way, Lift it up should stay up till you move the lever to lower the deck.
Sorry, not following you Gene. Even if one is single acting and the other is double acting it will require a lever to move. Think of like double acting cylinders on your loader. They leak down and require lever to move. The single acting on my 2305 is the same, lever motion to raise and lower and leaks down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
He would not have any trouble maintaining cutting height because the deck is lowered on to a hard stop when in use. My X720 will leak down and drop the deck after a few days of sitting, nothing like you describe. What you are experiencing is not normal. The deck-raise valve or lift cylinder have an internal leak. I'd be raising a stink with them.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
He would not have any trouble maintaining cutting height because the deck is lowered on to a hard stop when in use. My X720 will leak down and drop the deck after a few days of sitting, nothing like you describe. What you are experiencing is not normal. The deck-raise valve or lift cylinder have an internal leak. I'd be raising a stink with them.
You are absolutely correct, Mach-1. Even large machines will leak down after awhile but not that quickly. There is definitely a valve not setting correctly or just a manufacturing issue with the valve or cylinder. I would center on the valve.. My X738 deck will drop a little after a few days but not within an hour or so.. The fluids are bypassing the valve neutral point. Bad valve? Instructions do say to lower things such as a mower deck to take the pressure off the hydraulic system when you are finished, and that's on all equipment. That's for a reason. I believe the more you do the opposite the worse it will get. I see my stabilizers on my backhoe settle like this after a week or so but they settle only about an inch... I always drop my hoe, bucket and take all the pressure off the hydraulic system by moving all levers a couple times on all my machinery, always have and always will.. I would raise a stink also..

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
Sorry, not following you Gene. Even if one is single acting and the other is double acting it will require a lever to move. Think of like double acting cylinders on your loader. They leak down and require lever to move. The single acting on my 2305 is the same, lever motion to raise and lower and leaks down.
Randy ,, on the 2210-2305-series1 with hyd lift on mower, I lift the mmm drive maybe 100 -300 ft and deck has dropped back down to setting. With daughters FILx585 or my old JD425 lift the deck and it would stay raised one week to next week. On the Sub compacts the weight of the mower will allow the mower to drop .. Does not work that way on the X585 or on his x530. You raise the deck that mower deck should stay raised for a longer time than he is stating. He has a problem ,one with the hyd cylinder and another with the dealer telling him this BS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a JD X310, which I believe has the same hydraulic system as the X530. My deck will stay up for two weeks or more with very little drop, maybe just a 1/4 inch. I would also agree that something is wrong and you should get the dealer to repair it under the warranty. That much drop in an hour is not normal. Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My X530 has no "lock" setting

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. My X530 hydraulic lift has no lock setting.

Incidentally, my dealer, D&G in Howell, MI told me that this is a known issue. And... their words, not mine... "They don't build them like they used to." I wish they had mentioned that before I bought it!:banghead:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
My X585 also will lift and stay there for days. The ZTrack has a transport lockout where I lift it with hydraulics then there is a travel lockout which is the small knob on top of the cut height adjust. They are separate knobs so it remembers where you had it set. Just give it a 1/4 turn CCwise.

On the X530 do you have a blade or other quick hitch attachment? What would happen if you left it up in the air does it go down? Might tell you if it is leaking at the control valves or the cylinder for the mower.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts