Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
battery went dead, jump started fine, engaged pto & died, found pto fuse blown, replaced & tractor runs, pto will not engage, remove fuse & tractor dies. checked switches & all good, can jump pto at interloc module & turn on and off. bad module?

·
Registered
23,034 Posts
Battery is likely bad. A shorted battery can cause all kinds of goofy things with all the electronics. Test the battery.

If you have a multi-meter - check the voltage while the starter is cranking. If it goes below 10v your battery is bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery is likely bad. A shorted battery can cause all kinds of goofy things with all the electronics. Test the battery.

If you have a multi-meter - check the voltage while the starter is cranking. If it goes below 10v your battery is battery has been replaced

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If you have a multi-meter - check the voltage while the starter is cranking. If it goes below 10v your battery is bad.
battery has been replaced, why would it not run without pto fuse? looks like only pto is powered off that fuse from the wiring diagram

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
battery went dead, jump started fine, engaged pto & died, found pto fuse blown, replaced & tractor runs, pto will not engage, remove fuse & tractor dies. checked switches & all good, can jump pto at interloc module & turn on and off. bad module?
Put a new battery in. Before you screw something up by jump starting or trying to use it with the shot battery.

Next thing would be to see if the charging system is working. After you put in a new fully charged battery.

·
Registered
23,034 Posts

If you have a multi-meter - check the voltage while the starter is cranking. If it goes below 10v your battery is battery has been replaced
Battery was replaced when? They can go bad anywhere from 1 day to 10 years.

Why not just check it? If it tests good you can take it out of the equation and move forward with diagnostics from there.

Always check the simple/obvious stuff first. Testing the battery will take all of one minute.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
new battery yesterday
Make sure that new battery is 100% charged. Put a tender on until you get a green light.
Also connections are clean and tight. On any new battery you have to shine up the posts before putting the cables on. Never just bolt it in.

Then start it and check it the charging system is working.

Last I would see if you have power to the PTO. Unplug it then have someone operate the system from the seat. While you check the voltage at the plug. Remember you will need the seat switch closed and the brake pedal off for it to work.

It is possible to fry parts when jump starting. If you have power to the PTO the module is fine. The clutch is bad.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure that new battery is 100% charged. Put a tender on until you get a green light.
Also connections are clean and tight. On any new battery you have to shine up the posts before putting the cables on. Never just bolt it in.

Then start it and check it the charging system is working.

Last I would see if you have power to the PTO. Unplug it then have someone operate the system from the seat. While you check the voltage at the plug. Remember you will need the seat switch closed and the brake pedal off for it to work.

It is possible to fry parts when jump starting. If you have power to the PTO the module is fine. The clutch is bad.

Good luck
all is good with the battery after i replaced it, i get no power to the pto clutch, switch sends power to interloc module but no power comes back out to clutch

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
battery has been replaced, why would it not run without pto fuse? looks like only pto is powered off that fuse from the wiring diagram
Which fuse did you replace? Could be a bad module but I would be more concerned why the fuse blew. When you say it doesn't start do you mean it wont turn over? I would also take a quick minute to recheck that battery.. Just in case.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which fuse did you replace? Could be a bad module but I would be more concerned why the fuse blew. When you say it doesn't start do you mean it wont turn over? I would also take a quick minute to recheck that battery.. Just in case.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
without the pto fuse in it will turn over but not start. it was the pto fuse that blew. the battery is good after i replaced it. now with new battery it starts fine, the pto will not engage, power goes from switch to interloc module but does not come back out of interloc module to pto clutch

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had to replace the module on my x540 when the battery was dead and I jump started it.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
741 Posts
Please don't ask why I saved the old module....maybe for a Kodak moment like this!

Attachments

Reactions: Franked

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I had to replace the module on my x540 when the battery was dead and I jump started it.
Now I know what not to do on my X540. Jump start it.

If you don't have any power coming out of the module and going to the PTO I'd say that is your problem.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Now I know what not to do on my X540. Jump start it.

If you don't have any power coming out of the module and going to the PTO I'd say that is your problem.
Yes, hopefully this thread will discourage anyone from jump starting their x500 series.

Reactions: Franked

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yes, hopefully this thread will discourage anyone from jump starting their x500 series.

I had to jump start 100's of batteries over the years. Never had a problem. However there is always a first time.

One tip. If I ever have to boost a small battery off of a large one. Don't have the booster vehicle running. Just hook it up. A good battery should not have any problem by itself.

Reactions: darkrt
1 - 20 of 21 Posts