Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is my question
dont want to spend a lot of money for starters
my mom is in assited living near me. her home is 2 hours away and i still want to keep the house yard mowed up
have a x485 1100 hours on it currently. it needs a fuel filter and the main u joint (or so the dealer says) estimate $1000 TO FIX
there is about 2 hours of mowing each week and i have one if her old neighbors kid mowing it as i dont have time
so A do i suck it up and fix the x485
B do i look at a X540 a couple years old with some warranty?( what will resale be on this if somehting happens to mom)
c try and find a newer x700 series as i know they are tough
i'm willing to spend a total of 4-5000
ideas thoughts
thanks

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
How much would it cost to hire a lawn contractor to do the lawn?

$4k-$5k will go a long way paying someone else to do it not even counting travel expense back and forth.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
How much would it cost to hire a lawn contractor to do the lawn?

$4k-$5k will go a long way paying someone else to do it not even counting travel expense back and forth.
My thoughts exactly. When you consider equipment costs, maintenance and fuel it sometimes makes everyone question why we mow our own lawns sometimes.

Also, why the X540 vs X700 decision? Why a X540? Unless there are some details you left out it seems you could be mowing this lawn with a much less expensive machine... even a X300 or X500 or perhaps even less.

Given the choices you listed, fixing the existing tractor is probably the most prudent choice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well for starters I have looked into hiring it butWOW $100 a time and this yard in the spring needs it almost every 5 days so at minimum for $2000 a yr and that goes long way to purchase . Yard is about 2 acres
Just scared of a older used mower a teenager going to be running
I am partial to liquid cooled especially since a kid running it not to over heat
More suggestions?

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
What about a riding mower instead of a garden tractor for just mowing.

A new e,s or x350 plus fixing your x4 it under budget and mowers can stay at each house.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Fix the X485. It's a phenomenal garden tractor. Equivalent to the current X700 line.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If the mower is going to stay on site and the kid running it, I would buy a 100 series or a red yellow orange equivalent. Even a good used on would foot the bill. Or.. Better yet if junior has his own ride, a few extra bucks for wear and tear might seal the deal.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
If the mower is going to stay on site and the kid running it, I would buy a 100 series or a red yellow orange equivalent. Even a good used on would foot the bill. Or.. Better yet if junior has his own ride, a few extra bucks for wear and tear might seal the deal.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it's the u-joint on the driveshaft, have you ever thought about changing it yourself? If the shaft is in tact, u-joints are typically $25.00 to $35.00 bucks.
I'm not familiar with the x485, but I'm about to change a pto u-joint (cross bearing) on my x738. Not a difficult job. Perhaps I'm over simplifying this and don't totally understand the problem.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
If it's the u-joint on the driveshaft, have you ever thought about changing it yourself? If the shaft is in tact, u-joints are typically $25.00 to $35.00 bucks.
I'm not familiar with the x485, but I'm about to change a pto u-joint (cross bearing) on my x738. Not a difficult job. Perhaps I'm over simplifying this and don't totally understand the problem.
I’ve taken driveshafts from vehicles - some with CV joints - to a local machine shop for replacement. Very nice quality job at a fraction of the cost of buying OEM new.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wish ii had more time to fix it, ( had a house fire a year ago and trying to finish up rebuilding and have to redo my complete yard

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Today's equivalent to the X485 is the X730. 2wd, 2ws with shaft drive implements. It is the 2wd version of my X585.

Does the teen need this class of machine? If just cutting grass I guess that depends. You mentioned retaining value and such. You mentioned the lot is 2 acres. Mine is 2.5 so pretty close in size. Where I find the shaft drive implements nice is reliability and ease of use. A neighbor just brought home a new X580. Fine machine for him. His lot is just over 1 acre. He had them deliver it with the mower attached thinking winter was over and got it with a front blade. Well this week forecast changed and we got a good 10" of snow. So I went over and helped him remove the mower and put the blade on. It was much harder to change over than what my X585 is but I haven't put the mower deck on in a few years. Granted mine isn't as easy as the drive over decks but the shaft eliminates a lot of belts and I don't like belts. Belts are more likely to cause issues and if you have a teen that might not know how to maintain the machine or simply won't, eliminating them as much as possible will help keep the machine up. While I didn't see any mention of the teen dealing with snow (you do live in IA) so these factors would assist in resale but it may mean you have to store something.

Have you looked at used machines in your area? Are there any auction sites or estate sales that pop up? Estate sales might be a little more time consuming but we have a few auction sites around here that have these machines that pop up every now and then. For $1000 I would fix the X485. Either way it is worth more than that.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
I am partial to liquid cooled especially since a kid running it not to over heat
More suggestions?
Is that really an issue? I've been running air cooled riding mowers for 50 years and I don't recall ever having one over heat. Liquid cooling on the other hand can very easily overheat if the coolant gets low or the radiator gets plugged with debris. Do you think kids are going to check the fluids before each mow? I would be more concerned about them checking the oil before each use.

If one were to pick the configuration that would be more kid (i.e. neglect) tolerant I would say air cooled. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
X485 is a great machine. I would fix it. Maybe check around for an independent repair shop that does Deeres. Might save money that way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts