Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up my X540 last week, put brake lock on to let warm up while I opened door to outside, and she died out! What da...was my thought, got back on her and just a clunk noise at starter! Figured battery was shot but checked that out, and also attempted to jump start from from truck, and still the same clunk noise at starter! Checked brake and seat switches, also shorted solenoid and still the same clunk at starter??? I figured I've got to determine if she's locked up, so I thought I could turn the drive sheave under frame, but didn't realize that a clutch sheave is there as well making it near impossible to turn drive sheave above by hand. I also just pushed the beast thinking that would help free things up, but still no start. Tomorrow I'll take a plug out, and insert a screwdriver into cylinder, then push the mower and see if piston forces screwdriver out... I'm in a bind, this tractor is heavy, to get it on a trailer to get it to my dealer will be a tough task! Sure would appreciate any and all help and suggestions! Thanks to all ahead of time, and have a great and safe weekend!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
How old is the tractor and battery.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Since the battery is 7 years old, I would suspect the battery is dead. Sometimes jump starting still isn't enough to start a motor with a completely dead battery. A lot of times the batteries just die without any sign of being weak. And sometimes the battery voltage will show 12v even though it is just about dead.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
There is a bolt in the center of the pto clutch. Remove spark plugs and turn the bolt and see if the engine will turn over.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Bad battery. Check the voltage while trying to start it. I'll bet it is way low. Also, if jump starting it, disconnect one of the tractor battery leads and clamp your jumper cables onto the wire terminal as you may have a shorted cell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad battery. Check the voltage while trying to start it. I'll bet it is way low. Also, if jump starting it, disconnect one of the tractor battery leads and clamp your jumper cables onto the wire terminal as you may have a shorted cell.
Thank you very much , will check that this afternoon!

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
She won't budge! Tried a pry pipe over the rachet handle. I sprayed some WD40 into each cylinder, but not sure how effective that would be because the pistons are horizontal? Major bummed!
WHen it stopped running, did it sound like it normally does when you shut it off or was it a very sudden and almost violent engine stoppage?

Is there oil in the engine? Check via the dipstick.

If you are trying to turn the center bolt that Xcopter mentioned, with the spark plugs removed, it should rotate fairly easily. Just make sure you are actually on the crankshaft bolt on the PTO clutch before reefing on it with a bar or you could sheer off something else which is never good.

Generally, when an engine "locks up" it is the culmination of a series of events such as smoking, severe overheating, etc. Look down in the spark plug holes with a light and make sure there is no fluid in there or other obstruction (mouse nest).

Also, when an engine "seizes up" it usually shakes the tractor very violently as it is stopping something which is turning at 1,000 rpms and suddenly to 0 RPM's. The engines I have seen seized it occurs unlike a normal engine shut down.

When it quit when you were opening the overhead door, was it smoking or doing anything else unusual? (knocking, pounding, running very rough, smoking, did it smell like coolant overheating or burning, etc).

While engine seizures certainly happen, they are not common and almost always preceded with a series of "warning signals" like I have listed above.

Be super careful about sticking things down in the spark plug hole as you mentioned in an earlier post. Do not put the screw driver in there and see if the motor pushes it out. That is a easy way to score the piston or cause other significant damage.

Instead, either look in the hole with a light or get a remote camera ($79 or so on sale at Harbor Freight) so you can put the camera probe in the cylinder.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Started up my X540 last week, put brake lock on to let warm up while I opened door to outside, and she died out! What da...was my thought, got back on her and just a clunk noise at starter! Figured battery was shot but checked that out, and also attempted to jump start from from truck, and still the same clunk noise at starter! Checked brake and seat switches, also shorted solenoid and still the same clunk at starter??? I figured I've got to determine if she's locked up, so I thought I could turn the drive sheave under frame, but didn't realize that a clutch sheave is there as well making it near impossible to turn drive sheave above by hand. I also just pushed the beast thinking that would help free things up, but still no start. Tomorrow I'll take a plug out, and insert a screwdriver into cylinder, then push the mower and see if piston forces screwdriver out... I'm in a bind, this tractor is heavy, to get it on a trailer to get it to my dealer will be a tough task! Sure would appreciate any and all help and suggestions! Thanks to all ahead of time, and have a great and safe weekend!
If I am not mistaken, the X540 is hydro-static drive and pushing a hydro-static drive tractor won't result in the engine turning over. A hydro-static drive is driven with hydraulic fluid pressure and there is no mechanical gearing directly connecting the engine and drive unit / transmission in the tractor. So pushing it achieves nothing other than a workout for you.

When you are attempting to turn the tractor engine over, make sure the lever on the hydr0-static drive is moved to the "Push" position so as to not damage the hydro-static pump and assembly. It also puts the tractor in neutral and makes it roll much easier........Your owners manual should indicate where the lever is on the rear of the tractor. Some are a push pull lever and others are a handle you move top to bottom. I am not sure how the X540 handle for manually moving the tractor works, but I am sure it is covered in the operational manual or there are x540 owners on GTT who will know where the lever or handle is located.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
What I've seen. FWIW. Seized PTO bearings. Magnets under flywheel coming apart, jams flywheel. Traction drive belt or idlers fail and jam. Ignition coil comes loose and jams. Very very rarely a x540 eng has a catastrophic failure. It does happen.. But rarely.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
She won't budge! Tried a pry pipe over the rachet handle. I sprayed some WD40 into each cylinder, but not sure how effective that would be because the pistons are horizontal? Major bummed!

Did you take the spark plugs out? If not try this first. If you did the engine has other problems. Were the valves ever adjusted on your engine? Also how does the oil look condition and level?
Unfortunately it could be an internal malfunction.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
One other one... Engine starts fine.. Runs. Starter never disengaged from flywheel.. Runs for a while. Starter seizes up and locks her tight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I am not mistaken, the X540 is hydro-static drive and pushing a hydro-static drive tractor won't result in the engine turning over. A hydro-static drive is driven with hydraulic fluid pressure and there is no mechanical gearing directly connecting the engine and drive unit / transmission in the tractor. So pushing it achieves nothing other than a workout for you.

When you are attempting to turn the tractor engine over, make sure the lever on the hydr0-static drive is moved to the "Push" position so as to not damage the hydro-static pump and assembly. It also puts the tractor in neutral and makes it roll much easier........Your owners manual should indicate where the lever is on the rear of the tractor. Some are a push pull lever and others are a handle you move top to bottom. I am not sure how the X540 handle for manually moving the tractor works, but I am sure it is covered in the operational manual or there are x540 owners on GTT who will know where the lever or handle is located.
One other one... Engine starts fine.. Runs. Starter never disengaged from flywheel.. Runs for a while. Starter seizes up and locks her tight.

Xcopter your a thinker and we all benefit from members like you, thank you for your thoughts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts