Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. newbie here. have asked for help on another forum with no help so i thought i'd try this one. it concerns the starting procedure for my 2007 X540 i got with 450 hours on the clock. it now has 550 hrs. and i've had this problem since the day i got it home.
according to the manual, starting the engine should go like this...sit in seat, push on brake pedal, turn key to start. pto is off of course.
on mine it's...sit in seat, turn key to run (dash lights come on) push brake pedal, turn key to start and she fires up. if i follow the manual sequence i get nothing when i turn the key.
as far as i know the safety interlocks should be independant in that they don't have to be in any certain order, that is to say i could bypass the seat safety switch, bypass the pto safety switch, push the brake pedal, turn the key and it should start.
any ideas as to why my tractor is acting so squirrely?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Have you checked the ignition switch.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
What happens when you leave the brake pedal locked down?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Have you bypassed the RIO and seat switch to confirm those are not the problem ? :wgtt:

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
Just to make sure I am clear on this, if you sit on the seat and turn the key and THEN push the brake pedal, that is the only way it will start?

What happens if you leave the parking brake locked and attempt to start it?

Any difference?

Is there any other difference in the dash lights or anything else that you notice if you follow the manuals instructions?

If you don't have the Factory Technical Service manual for your tractor, I would strongly suggest buying the disc or the book if you can find it. It will have the detailed schematic of the harness and systems which will aid in seeing exactly how they interact with one another.

Make sure to keep posting responses and answering questions, that way it makes the threads valuable for others future use.

Now that you have found the BEST John Deere forum, we hope you stick around and participate.......Welcome to the GTT.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The book states to park the tractor with the brake pedal locked down. Then you should be able to get on, adjust throttle/choke then crank the engine over. The PTO switch must also be down/off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got back from town where i visited with a tech at John Deere who's been working on these for years. I stumped him. he thinks the only possibility is the control module, behind the dash cluster, may have a malfunction. he'd try replacing that to see if that fixed it. after looking up the price, $220, i told him i'd learn to live with the fault. this spring when it warms up i'll go thru it with a fine tooth comb to see if i can solve it. til then, i'll live with it. thanks for the help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts