Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for the 48” blade 6006M (BM25910) and angle kit BM23448 on a 2107 X570. While installing the 48” blade the instructions were decent. There was two photos one for use and one for storage regarding the wheels that were swapped but otherwise they were good.

The angle kit instructions stunk. There was photos but they were so close up it was hard to tell where things went. I made this post and attached photos to provide clarity for somebody doing this in the future.

Overall I like the set up but I was disappointed that a couple things are held on with self tapping screws. If I am going to buy John Deere I expect nuts welded on the backside of a blind hold and not self tapping screws.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive fuel system Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Yellow

·
Administrator
21,217 Posts
Interesting design!
So you turn the handle to release the locking mechanism, then push/pull it to change the angle?

·
Premium Member
13,286 Posts
Herm,
Nice post, but DANG, there is no clearance under the front hitch. I sincerely wonder if the Deere engineers use these things themselves in real world settings. When you push the snow into a pile, its going to be easy to get the plow mount hung up on uneven terrain, etc.

And self tapping bolts instead of through bolted attachments as you pointed out, is simply not a good long term solution.

If you don't mind sharing, What is the ball park price for the total plow set up on the x570?

Thanks for posting this information. Excellent photos and I am sure this is going to be helpful for others who purchase or contemplate this snow clearing attachment.............

·
Premium Member
13,286 Posts
I also noticed the negative battery cable is unhooked during the process, so someone is really following directions. (y) Plus, the plow rubber edge is a couple of inches longer than the blade, which is a good idea. I assume you made the plow scraper edge yourself?..........I like your attention to details.....How does the wire at the end of the plow adjustment handle work in the process?

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting design!
So you turn the handle to release the locking mechanism, then push/pull it to change the angle?
Yes

Nice post, but DANG, there is no clearance under the front hitch. I sincerely wonder if the Deere engineers use these things themselves in real world settings.
No clearance there or for the bracket that raises and lowers it in the middle. I am going to have him come over before I take it there to see if he wants the handle for releasing the pin and angling the blade moved up. As it is I think with snow boots on there is not much room for a boot and the bracket.

If you don't mind sharing, What is the ball park price for the total plow set up on the x570?
Right about a grand.

How does the wire at the end of the plow adjustment handle work in the process?
That pulls on a lever that releases the pin so you can angle it. It is tiny and I see a spare being bought in my near future.

He has a driveway in town so I think it will work for him but he is used to using a blower or the skid loader here so I think he will have to get used to pushing it back further to start the season. Of all the things I have used in my life last year was the first year I have ever used a snow plow. I was shocked how high I could push a pile so we will see. I asked him if he wanted a plow or a blower but he knows what a blower is like without a cab so he decided on the plow. It surprised me that a blower lists at $1,600 which really is not that much more. Depending on what it is like next year might be different.

The rubber strip is off the roll I bought for mine and is 4 x 1/2. I had it set at 2" but it skipped across the floor terrible so I put it down to 2-1/2 below and it seems to be smoother.

I used it last night for leaves and it did work well. I dump the leaves in piles with the TKV-20 where we grow corn and usually just knock the piles down for plowing with a fork or rake. It spread them out very well and was a lot easier way to do it.

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SB, I am glad you replied. This blade is 18-20" tall. I suspect your double wide blade is about the same height. Do I want to add a top flap to this blade? I have the baler belting I used on mine and could easily add it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Now won't that rear weight bracket thats going to be YELLOW match the YELLOW plow up front??? :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
I owned the exact same blade when I owned my X580. The blade and machine will be more than capable of pushing snow, even deep and wet snow falls. However, you will learn to absolutely HATE the POS rig used for angling the blade. Not to mention that when you pull the rod towards you to angle the blade to the right it will hit your knee or leg leaving large bruises. You'll also hate it when the link binds or falls off and you have to turn it by hand.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
However, you will learn to absolutely HATE the POS rig used for angling the blade. Not to mention that when you pull the rod towards you to angle the blade to the right it will hit your knee or leg leaving large bruises. You'll also hate it when the link binds or falls off and you have to turn it by hand.
I noticed that, what an odd position they decided on for the handle height. In fact I called my son and told him to come over tonight to sit on this because I see about an 8" riser being put on for the handle. I did close up the front link so it better not fall off.

To protect the innocent how much weight did you put on the rear including yourself in the total.

·
Premium Member
13,286 Posts
SB, I am glad you replied. This blade is 18-20" tall. I suspect your double wide blade is about the same height. Do I want to add a top flap to this blade? I have the baler belting I used on mine and could easily add it.
I would say yes the top flap on the plow. The baler belting is what I also used and its worked very well. Strong enough to roll the snow, but not so strong it doesn't help to roll the snow. You also don't want the flap standing up straight as it becomes like a snow pusher and can overwhelm the tractors traction and pushing strength.

I am considering a different approach on my new plow, I am going to fold the belting in half from end to end and mount it in that fashion, with the curved leading edge facing forward. Picture taking an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and bending it so the long edge on the right side of the paper comes back over the 3 punch holes in the left side of the paper. Don't fold it flat, just leave the curved edge forward facing and allow it to give the flap strength.

Fender washers at the base of the flap where it bolts to the plow to prevent the flap tearing away at the bolts. One bolt through the flap material edge, with a nut on the bottom of the plow top flap flange. I will post pictures when I try it......It might be a colossal failure, we will find out........It's easy enough to change if it doesn't work.......

Herm, I would also suspect without a top flap, the snow would push over the blade and fall onto the hitch angling mechanism and I could see that getting ice and possibly frozen, etc. There were times with the plow without the top flap where the snow would pile on top of the quick tach hitch as high as the top of the blade. It packs into the angle cylinder wells on the hydraulic angling and ends up bending the 90 degree fittings on the cylinder. The 1025r does this less as the exhaust is aimed right at the hitch on that set up, but when the exhaust doesn't keep the hitch clear, without a top flap, the snow will really pile up on the back side of the plow.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with........

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Sully / herm,

Be careful with a flap on the blade for the 570. The 570 does not have hydraulics and any extra weight added will be felt by your back and legs. If you take a look at my pics you'll see where snow has come over the top and is resting on the plow frame. This wasn't a problem and a quick kick would take it off.

One BIG problem with the JD manual design is that stupid link. closing it will keep it from falling off, but it will still bind forcing you to get off and deal with the POS. Just before I sold the X580 back to the dealer for my X738 I installed a dual ended stainless swivel link. That solve much of the problem.

Try to get the push/pull rod up as high as possible, although it may not help. I tried many heights, finally gave up, and then used a shin pad from my semi pro hockey days.

All that said the plow is a good plow for the X5xx series and very capable of moving deep snow. I have a pair of Terragrips hanging in my shed that are almost new if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Comparing my angle rod installation to yours it appears the leg breaker bracket may be gone. Hopefully that is the case. Let us know please.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had this plow on a X590. I bought the plow used with my new tractor (don't advise this, used cost more then new due to salesman not knowing I needed more pieces) and it didn't have the angle part on it at all. Every time I wanted to angle it I had to get off. I can see where although possibly poorly designed, that would've been handy. And I let snow/ice freeze on the plow frame one time. After that I learned to kick it off before I parked it. Had to kick the jeebies out of the frame to free it that mornin.

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just before I sold the X580 back to the dealer for my X738 I installed a dual ended stainless swivel link. That solve much of the problem.
I closed it up but if it is an issue I appreciate the idea. I am not ashamed to steal good ideas.

I have a pair of Terragrips hanging in my shed that are almost new if you're interested
I am hoping the new Kendra's and some weight will be enough since his drive is flat. If not I might be interested.

Try to get the push/pull rod up as high as possible, although it may not help. I tried many heights, finally gave up, and then used a shin pad from my semi pro hockey days.
I moved it up 8" feels much better there.

Comparing my angle rod installation to yours it appears the leg breaker bracket may be gone.
If your talking about the extra piece on the part the rod goes through once I realized it was not required I cut it off. When on ice I don't like things that can grab on to a coat or sleeve.

Here is the part for testing. Just got it back from the blast and paint department and should be dry tomorrow for install.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Green

Reactions: SulleyBear and gdow

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the finished product.

I ended up putting the strip on top the blade, I liked the rolling idea that SB mentioned but I the baler belting I have is not quite wide enough to work effectively in my opinion. Based on BOBL's suggestion I closed the link as much as I could but will change it if he has binding issues.

I am hiding the rear weight bracket over in this thread since there was a strong contingent in the "shop today" thread who suggested yellow. In my defense it is yellow with some black.

Once the top flap retaining strip dries and the weights come in next week it is ready to go to work if needed.

Tire Wheel Green Riding mower Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Riding mower Lawn mower

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't know if you'll like the idea or not but when I was using my pickup to plow professionally, I too used a piece of conveyor belting and experienced the problem of the wind and snow pushing it back over the blade. So I took some rebar and made a weight - the rebar screwed into the bottom edge of the conveyor and kept it down but movable. Just a thought.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Herminator. Really nice job here. Great work on the twisty pulley bar support. It shouldn't hit your leg or knee, but it might put your eye out!!! Wear goggles.;)

This is the shackle type you'll need. Measure the length and then get a shackle to fit.

1/2" Stainless Steel Jaw x Jaw Swivel (e-rigging.com)

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the shackle type you'll need. Measure the length and then get a shackle to fit.
BOBL you seem quite sure this is going to jam up. Since I have zero experience with this and you have much I should probably listen. Plus doing things in my nice warm shop is better than in a cold garage where I don’t have my tools with me. My only hesitation is all the work I went through to get that clamped shut. 😂

I am glad you posted the link because I was trying to figure out what you were talking about since the two pieces are 90° to each other. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts