Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 X580 with a 47" snowblower with 41 hours. Lately the PTO has been acting up. I pull the PTO
switch and nothing happens for 5 to 10 sec, then the PTO engages. Sometime it will engage for a second, disengage
for a second or 2 then engage again. After it does this song and dance it stays engaged. I think I read in another
forum that the PTO switches were flakey. But that forum wasn't for the X500 tractors. Has anyone seen this
on their X500 tractor and knows what is causing it ? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Probably the same push/pull PTO switch on all of them. I had this happening on my 2025R. Had them replace it when I had them lube the driveshaft Ujoints at 200 hours. On the 2025R, the instrument console had to be removed (e.g. steering wheel and all).

Ralph

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday JD looked at my tractor and said I had a bad PTO switch. I noticed on amazon they have PTO switches
made buy a company called HD Switch which is rated for 10 amps and 200000 cycles. Has anyone ever used
one of their switches ? The one from JD didn't last very long and I was looking for something a little more
durable.
Thank for the help.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Yesterday JD looked at my tractor and said I had a bad PTO switch. I noticed on amazon they have PTO switches
made buy a company called HD Switch which is rated for 10 amps and 200000 cycles.
Has anyone ever used
one of their switches ? The one from JD didn't last very long and I was looking for something a little more
durable.
Thank for the help.
Do you have a link for the HD Switch replacement? I looked at several Amazon listings and none of them matched the PTO switch P/N listed in JD Parts for the X580.

If they do make one for the X580 you have nothing to lose by trying one. They cost pretty much the same as the OEM JD switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a parts catalog, so I went to the johndeerestore.com and they said the switch is AM147972.
Then I went amazon, entered AM147972 and got
HD Switch 10 AMP OEM Upgrade Clutch PTO Switch Replaces John Deere AM147972
Brand: HD Switch
3.2 out of 5 stars 4 ratings

Price:$20.99

How many amps does the PTO draw ? I'm wondering how heavy duty the HD switch really is.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
I don't have a parts catalog, so I went to the johndeerestore.com and they said the switch is AM147972.
Then I went amazon, entered AM147972 and got
How many amps does the PTO draw ? I'm wondering how heavy duty the HD switch really is.
Thanks
I have a X500. The Technical Manual lists the PTO clutch as 2.8 - 3.3 ohms. At 12.6V that would equate to 3.8 - 4.5A. Your X580 has a different P/N for the PTO clutch but I'll bet they are very similar. As far as I can see on the wiring diagram, there is no relay - the PTO switch controls the PTO clutch directly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jgayman,
4.5 amps is not that far from 5 amps which the OEM switch is rated. Wonder if it is worth while switching to the
HD switch with it's 10 amp rating.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
jgayman,
4.5 amps is not that far from 5 amps which the OEM switch is rated. Wonder if it is worth while switching to the
HD switch with it's 10 amp rating.
For around $20 it is certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find it interesting that there is a company that is making HD replacement PTO switches. There must be a lot
of stock PTO switches failing. I wonder if the RIO feature is causing the PTO switch to be used a lot more than it was
designed for. It is also interesting that there are 2 part numbers. It looks like the original part number
is gy22356. That was replaced with am147972. Wonder why they did that. I think I'm going to order
the HD am147972 and compare it to the JD part the service tech shows up with and see what switch
works better. Thanks to all of you for the input and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts