Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to use a come-along to pull my x580 out of the mud a couple times (my wife did not believe me when I told her she'd get it stuck)

Now she's gotten a trailer stuck, and I'm not risking the tractor getting stuck to retrieve it)

So I'm just putting a winch on the tractor.

I have the front weight bracket, and imho that thing is as solid as it comes. My theory is to bolt on an ATV winch mount against it.

I've searched forums and can't find anyone who has used this bracket for anything other than the snow blower or weights.

Thoughts?

https://www.harborfreight.com/atvutility-winch-mounting-plate-60522.html

·
Premium Member
12,640 Posts
I doubt you'll find anyone who has used it for a winch BUT... if it's bolted on anything like the front bumper (not brush guard) I have on my basic X500, you could easily use it to lift the tractor into the air with a crane. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, that definitely seems like a good place to permanently mount a winch. I would probably use a receiver hitch so I could take it off easily, but then with my luck I would never have it on when I needed it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,020 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
You're far better off purchasing a mount that will work with a 2" receiver hitch, and putting that hitch on the back of the tractor. I did this with the winch I put on my own 580 and it worked perfectly. I ran #8 cable straight from the battery to the fuse and then to the winch relay. You'll need a 200 amp fuse for the winch. I enclosed everything in a distribution box mounted behind the seat, then connected the winch to the trailer socket and the controller to it's own socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just another way to look at this -

Maybe it would be simpler to mount a receiver hitch to your tractor - like from Ken’s

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks

View attachment 707122

Excellent! I've been looking for a more stable hitch mount too, as the one I have is... Not the most stable (it's just a ball on the "hitchin' post") and I've already broken the original bolt due to the iffy build quality.

That'd also let me use it on a car if needed.

My only problem with rear mount, is that my MC519 is typically on when it gets stuck haha. So front mount would be helpful to drag it out by attaching it to a tree.

Thanks everyone!

Then have a receiver winch mount like this

https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-receiver-mount-for-winches-69106.html

View attachment 707124

This way you don’t have the bulk of the winch always on the front of the tractor.

Just thinking out loud.....
Excellent! I've been looking for a more stable hitch mount too, as the one I have is... Not the most stable (it's just a ball on the "hitchin' post") and I've already broken the original bolt due to the iffy build quality.

That'd also let me use it on a car if needed.

My only problem with rear mount, is that my MC519 is typically on when it gets stuck haha. So front mount would be helpful to drag it out by attaching it to a tree.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I made a similar winch mount before they were commercially available that fits the 2" receiver on my F-150 and then put a front mount receiver on the front of the truck too. You will be able to do the same with any 2" receiver on any vehicle as long as you can connect to the battery. I use another 2" receiver that I can chain to the base of one tree and use the winch to pull down any problem trees that I want to chainsaw. I just take another 12v car battery with the winch. Keep in mind that a winch will wear the battery down very quickly on your vehicle so it's a good idea to have a spare battery that you can connect to so that you don't need the vehicle battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts