Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer because I cracked another one of those 90 deg fittings coming off my pivot cylinder on the quick hitch. As I was checking out I looked over and they had some "Gator Seats". I asked the parts guy if it would fit a X585. He said that they have a chart on the back of the box with the machines that it fits. He looked at the sheet and said yep it fits the X5xx machines. I explained to him that the X585 isn't anything like the current X5xx it is an older machine and it is more like a X7xx than a X5xx. He insisted that it would fit. I asked if it fits a X7xx but he just said that I told him I have a X5xx not a X7xx. OK. He grabbed a bracket to mount it to the seat suspension and said all I have to do is plug the seat switch in. I asked if I can bring it back if it doesn't fit as I was willing to try it but he wasn't listening to what I was saying. I had never seen this parts guy before so not sure if he is new or what. He said I could bring it back and being I drive right by them on the way to and from work, I figured it was worth a shot.

I think all said and done it was $135 for everything.

I get home and flip my seat forward. I can tell that the bracket that he sold me looks like it will work. There are lots of mounting holes that might work. However the biggest issue I see is that the port for the seat switch isn't anything like what I have. Anyone know if this can be adapted? Sure I could bypass it but the kids are starting to use the X585 so I want to leave it intact.

Original seat

New Seat

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do they sell a switch for the new seat? Then it would just be if the plugs are the same for both.
By the time you buy the switch and correct end, the X585 seats price may start to look better.
I have all my safety's working also. Not getting any younger here.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am going to ask when I stop by there on the way home. The problem is that I have had my X apart enough to know the connector for the seat switch is part of the main harness. I would assume it is the same on the newer ones. The only reason I don't think it is would be because when you need to pull the fenders the hole that you feed the seat switch through isn't that big. Unless they made it massive to fit that 3" (or so) hole under the seat in the fender maybe they have a smaller wire for the seat switch that connects to the harness. If they didn't, there would be no way to remove the fender. That is why I don't want to splice something on replacing my connector. I could rig it up or 3D print an adapter to hold my switch but the time in 3D modeling and such isn't something I have time to mess with right now. Not that it is a critical thing. However the actual seat for the X585 is $185 (before tax) so for another $70 or so I can just get the right seat and save myself the headache.

I was just wondering if anyone else tried these Gator seats? If so did they run into this issue or a warning for those of us with cracked seats on these older generation X Series. My seat is functional but it is cracked. I covered it with one of those JD Seat covers but I broke the shock cord that holds it on so it is always falling off when I get off the machine. That and I was a little too close to a fire the other day and it appears that embers burned holes in a few spots. Not that big of a deal but I thought I would try this seat to see if it worked.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
Have you checked into the correct switch for the new seat? To see if your harness will connect?. I am not understanding why the seat switch has to go through the fender pan to take the fender pan off? Seems like you would just unplug the harness and leave the switch on the seat?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
By the time you buy a seat switch for the gator seat you’re spending just as much as getting the one listed for the x. Mine was under $150.

Your pictures aren’t working so I cannot see the differences.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Have you checked into the correct switch for the new seat? To see if your harness will connect?. I am not understanding why the seat switch has to go through the fender pan to take the fender pan off? Seems like you would just unplug the harness and leave the switch on the seat?
The tractor side of the harness comes up through the fender and must be pushed down through to remove the fender.

I also don’t see where he looked at the correct switch, so there very well may not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As mentioned the wire that connects to the switch is part of the harness. The wire harness needs to feed through the hole in the fender.

By the time you buy a seat switch for the gator seat you’re spending just as much as getting the one listed for the x. Mine was under $150.

Your pictures aren’t working so I cannot see the differences.
Yeah I you are right I could buy the new switch and it may plug into my harness if the connector is the same. Maybe I will ask what the cost of the switch is.

That is really odd that the pics are not working. They are hosted here in my X585 album. Not like they are posted on some other site.

The tractor side of the harness comes up through the fender and must be pushed down through to remove the fender.

I also don’t see where he looked at the correct switch, so there very well may not be a problem.
No, you are right, I didn't ask about a new switch. Parts guy said just move it over. Honestly by the time I got home and had time to look it over, I was a bit tired from a long day, saw the difference and was thinking it just wasn't going to work. Part of that was because going into this I was still questioning the parts guy dismissing my comments that I have a X585 which is very different from every other X5xx they have as a current generation. It is much more simliar to a X728 or X738 than a X590.

I guess if the switch is more than $70 then it would be cheaper to buy the new correct seat. If it is less than $70 ( would guess $50 or so) then it would be cheaper to buy the new switch and see if the connector is the same. It probably is. Then there is the potential of other seat issues. For instance while there are lots of holes to use to mount the bracket, I didn't test how the options lined up to the original seat. So, even if it is $20 cheaper overall to get the new switch and go with this seat, it is possible that the correct seat will fit better. Keep in mind I am 6'4" and need all the leg room as possible. The more I run through this, I think I will return it and order the right seat.

If I were looking at the deluxe suspension seat that runs close to $600, then a $130 option is a great deal. A quick search on Green Parts and a few other places shows the right seat is $185 plus likely some shipping and/or tax. Not sure what my dealer's price is yet but I will ask.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More info on the switch needed.

It looks like I would need this. Not sure if it fits on my wiring harness connector as it isn't clear if this is the holder for the switch or all as one unit. This does look like what would fit in the bottom of the new seat.

This is what the seat switch looks like that I have on my tractor now.

They are a lot cheaper than I thought. I was thinking $50 but this is a lot less. Maybe I will take it back home and try fitment of the seat and leg room before returning it. It isn't a big deal as I drive by the dealer every day. For a test I can always just jumper the switch.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
From the pictures of the seat switches you posted, connector looks the same for both.
I really could not understand the deal about not fitting through the fender pan, just unplug the harness from the seat.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I the end I took the "Gator" seat back and bought the one for the X585. I gave them the part number and the parts lady said she would be right back. What?? They actually had one in stock?? Sure enough she came back a few minutes later with the seat.

To make the other seat work I would have either had to replace the switch which was cheaper than I was thinking it would be based on the other links I posted. Not sure if that is just a switch holder or a switch assembly. However it was going to be another $10-15 closer to the cost of the exact replacement. What it came down to was the fact that the mounting bracket and available holes would mean that there was no adjustment up and down on the front edge of the seat. The original seat has three sets of holes where you can mount the pivot pin changing the pitch of the seat a bit. Where this new seat only had one position. The deal killer was the fact that when I measured things, I was going to lose almost 3" of leg room. I have long legs and I wasn't going to like that. Without factoring in the seat switch cost, returning the Gator seat & bracket then getting the right seat was a different in cost of $60 after tax. For another $60 being able to maintain leg room was enough to finalize the decision. I moved my seat switch over and everything fits right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts