Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have the engine malfunction indicator light flash on there X590, mine started doing it just as I finished
cutting the lawn, tractor seems to run fine, but owners manual says to shut down tractor and call your J.D. dealer, which I did and
they have the tractor now.
Just wondering if anyone else had this happen and what the problem could be.
any input on this would be greatly apprecated
thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone have the engine malfunction indicator light flash on there X590, mine started doing it just as I finished
cutting the lawn, tractor seems to run fine, but owners manual says to shut down tractor and call your J.D. dealer, which I did and
thanks
I had a 2017 x590 that had the same issue. I would intermittently get a flashing engine malfunction indicator light. I had my local dealer check it out and they could not reproduce the problem. Of course, after I got it back, it happened again. The dealer suggested that an ECM replacement might be a solution, but I traded the tractor in before that occurred.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
I had a 2017 x590 that had the same issue. I would intermittently get a flashing engine malfunction indicator light. I had my local dealer check it out and they could not reproduce the problem. Of course, after I got it back, it happened again. The dealer suggested that an ECM replacement might be a solution, but I traded the tractor in before that occurred.
You traded it in because it had a malfunction while it was still under warranty?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You traded it in because it had a malfunction while it was still under warranty?
This is the 4th time taking my X590 in for warranty work and I'm only on my second summer.

John deere quality has slipped in my opinon, if it would not cost me an arm and leg I would trade it in.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
This is the 4th time taking my X590 in for warranty work and I'm only on my second summer.

John deere quality has slipped in my opinon, if it would not cost me an arm and leg I would trade it in.
It's a Kawasaki EFI engine. JD had nothing to do with the quality. :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
To access the codes do the following:
Park brake ON, PTO OFF.
Key on/off 3 times, leave the key on 3rd time. The codes will come up. They are 2 types of codes. Active and Stored. If active, the code will have an A after the numbers. The Stored codes will have an S after the code. Note.. The S may look like a 5. Once the codes are all displayed the next numbers that come up will be the max rpm the engine has reached. Next it will display the battery voltage in real time. Then it will repeat the codes again.
Get the codes and post them.
I will try to help you.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
thanks
My 2016 590 did this the first day I had it. Dealer came and took it away, no codes, they kept it a week and ran it cold, ran it hot, mowed 1 1/2 acres and no malfunction. Mine also idled down when the light came on.
The salesman called and asked if I wanted a new one but would take a few weeks so I took it back. No problems since.

Thinking back, I think I disconnected the battery, which I think cleared any codes?
It must have also cleared the problem.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The disconnecting of the battery may clear the codes, that is why vehicles are required to store it in non-volatile memory, and must used a computer to reset the error codes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To access the codes do the following:
Park brake ON, PTO OFF.
Key on/off 3 times, leave the key on 3rd time. The codes will come up. They are 2 types of codes. Active and Stored. If active, the code will have an A after the numbers. The Stored codes will have an S after the code. Note.. The S may look like a 5. Once the codes are all displayed the next numbers that come up will be the max rpm the engine has reached. Next it will display the battery voltage in real time. Then it will repeat the codes again.
Get the codes and post them.
I will try to help you.

thanks for the offer dealer has unit, still no word from them , said they had a problem with their lap top that they use to get codes, a week later
their got someone to repair their lap top, now they have issues getting the program to work, waiting on J.D. to help with program.
After that they'll probably have to order parts.
In the mean time costing me 40.00 to have someone cut my lawn.
4th time this thing has been in for warranty work.
Sure loosing faith in John Deere products.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
thanks for the offer dealer has unit, still no word from them , said they had a problem with their lap top that they use to get codes, a week later
their got someone to repair their lap top, now they have issues getting the program to work, waiting on J.D. to help with program.
After that they'll probably have to order parts.
In the mean time costing me 40.00 to have someone cut my lawn.
4th time this thing has been in for warranty work.
Sure loosing faith in John Deere products.
It's not really the product. Things happen that are unforeseen. It's how the dealer handles those things that make a difference.
The codes can be accessed through the instrument cluster without a laptop. All switches can be checked and codes can be cleared. The only thing a laptop would maybe needed for is a software update. Never had to do one on an X5 series though so I really don't know if that is even possible. We did some on the X7 series.
Sounds like your dealer is under trained on these units. That happens with small dealers. They just don't want to spend the money to have properly trained techs.
Good luck and I hope they get you going.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, I traded it in because I wanted an x758 as it was a better fit for my property. I was just commenting to the original poster that the ECM never got replaced on the x590 while I owned it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have been reading along and I have to wonder if this is a problem associated with the 590 EFI. I have been putting my 580 to good hard use and have had zero problems. I'm approaching 50 hours and the only issue I've had was some water in the gas brought on by a tank left outside in the rains we've had. My own fault, but a bottle of isopropyl alcohol cured the issue and there has been nothing else to even suggest a problem with the machine.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
I have been reading along and I have to wonder if this is a problem associated with the 590 EFI.
No doubt! The EFI engine is the only model with a Engine Malfunction Indicator. Per the manual when that indicator lights up you shut the tractor off and call the dealer. Ya gotta love that! :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Understood, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the service indicator which all 500 series tractors have, not the specific engine malfunction indicator.

J - Service Indicator - If flashing, contact your John Deere dealer for service. Will not flash to indicate service intervals. (See Service Intervals in the SERVICE INTERVALS section.)

K - Low Engine Oil Pressure Indicator - If flashing, engine oil pressure is too low. Stop engine and perform service. (See Checking Engine Oil Level in the SERVICE ENGINE section.)

L - Engine Malfunction Indicator (X590 Only) - If displayed, engine service required. Stop tractor, disengage PTO, shut off engine, and contact your John Deere dealer.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
Understood, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the service indicator which all 500 series tractors have, not the specific engine malfunction indicator.

J - Service Indicator - If flashing, contact your John Deere dealer for service. Will not flash to indicate service intervals. (See Service Intervals in the SERVICE INTERVALS section.)
Only the newer X-series tractors with the LCD dash panel have the service indicator light.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
I see JD has come with an addendum for the dash panel on the new X-series tractors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No doubt! The EFI engine is the only model with a Engine Malfunction Indicator. Per the manual when that indicator lights up you shut the tractor off and call the dealer. Ya gotta love that! :)

The instrument panel is it's own controller. On the compacts it is known as the ICC. The system is very very basic. No high speed low drag stuff like on your Volvo. Lol.
It has a few functions. It will display active and stored codes. It will allow toggling between the hr meter and real time engine rpms. It will show actual battery voltage and also the highest engine rpm for x cycles. You can diag all your safety switches. Seat, brake, pto, rio.
Occasionally you will get a weird code that will throw a light and then disappear at the next cycle of the key.
If anyone has a tech manual for the x590 maybe they can post the codes. I can post a new thread on how to access and clear codes if anyone is interested but I cant get too in-depth due to Mother Deeres copyright laws. There has been some tech azzes in cracks over that one. Yes.. Mother Deere does frequent this forum!
Its not a bad system.. It works.. Works well.. And there are very few failures of the display and components overall. The main issue I see is techs not up to speed to use what little is there to their advantage. Last I looked it was 350 per day for training with Deere plus travel, plus whatever to send a tech for one day if local. Then add in lodging, maybe a plane ticket, meals..ect if you come from out of the area.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Only the newer X-series tractors with the LCD dash panel have the service indicator light.
My 580 is less than 90 days old and I have an LCD display panel. That's why I asked the question, and that's why I'm still curious. The 590 engine malfunction may be specific to the EFI, IMO, however, has anyone noticed similar problems with the display showing unidentified and constant faults with the 580 that I should be concerned with.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts