Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did an oil change on my LT for the first time. I noticed that once the oil filter comes off the oil was going to run down the frame into my catch pan. So I had an old plastic trash can laying around I was going to toss this week. I cut a section of the can and cut and shaped it into a flap to catch the drips and filter runoff and divert it away from the LT frame. A million people have done this but here's my take on it. A little trimming and bending made a nice drip flap. The plastic was a really sturdy thickness and held its shape nicely. I think i'll paint in JD yellow so I'll remember why I have it.

Oil drip flap 1.jpg

Oil drip flap 2.jpg

Oil drip flap 3.jpg

Oil drip flap 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts
You did pretty good. You may have trouble with the oil having a mind of its own since there isn't a channel to direct the flow. I have a similar mower and use something called Form-A-Funnel. It is a heavy rubber funnel with a malleable core that allows you to form it into any shape you need. It comes in two different sizes. I've had one for about 5 years now and use it for all sorts of jobs where fluid wants to run the wrong way and make a mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know what you mean but the flap can be bent inward to direct the oil into a pan, which I've done. it's just not shown in the picture. The container I use to catch the oil for the LT is a large rubbermaid container with a sturdy lid. It was actually for baking but it's been reassigned to garage duty for decades. So it has plenty of room to catch a water of oil if need be.

This is just to handle the oil filter only the engine oil drain clears the frame easily.

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts
This is just to handle the oil filter only the engine oil drain clears the frame easily.
I just use the funnel for the filter also. I use an oil sucker for the oil. I've never even had the cap off the crankcase drain plug. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts