Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be me, but it is really hard to add hydraulic fluid after draining the system. Seems that the opening is extremely small and it burps a bit as it only accepts a little at a time. Found this out the hard way as the opening seems big, but it is reduce further inside the tank. Any words of wisdom, or simply go slowwww. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
This may be me, but it is really hard to add hydraulic fluid after draining the system. Seems that the opening is extremely small and it burps a bit as it only accepts a little at a time. Found this out the hard way as the opening seems big, but it is reduce further inside the tank. Any words of wisdom, or simply go slowwww. Thanks
The best advice I can give is to use a funnel like this and add the fluid slowly. It makes the job way easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
It depends; on what type of container you are using: quarts, gallon, 2 gallon, 5 gallon pail

A funnel for quarts, otherwise a transfer pump (manual or electro/mechanical) so you don't kill you back. Then there is the old fashion way a pour over to a smaller. YMMV

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the info. I was using a full gallon so it made it a bit cumbersome. I went out and purchased a funnel with a control valve that allows one to ontrol the rate. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thanks all for the info. I was using a full gallon so it made it a bit cumbersome. I went out and purchased a funnel with a control valve that allows one to ontrol the rate. Thanks again.
I always buy the quarts. lol
Also use a tiny plastic funnel maybe an inch and a half across on the big end.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Do share! I'll be hitting 50hrs in the fall.

It depends; on what type of container you are using: quarts, gallon, 2 gallon, 5 gallon pail

A funnel for quarts, otherwise a transfer pump (manual or electro/mechanical) so you don't kill you back. Then there is the old fashion way a pour over to a smaller. YMMV
if one is to go with an electro/mechanical is there any criteria one should look for so the internal don't rot out as you're using it? I've used a mechanical one before that spun via the 1/2" chuck of my drill, the paddles wore out before i could finish and began breaking down. I think I was transferring fuel. (this was 10-15yrs ago so I can't remember fully)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying a funnel with an large reservoir with an on/off valve. I added a longer hose and it works great. I think simply using quarts would be an easy solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts