Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing an X590 and need advice on which tiller to purchase. The 42" hydraulic or the 30" mechanical -drive tiller. Will one be more power, or better for the tractor, install, maintenance, etc? Any thoughts from those that have used/owned them? Thanks for help.

·
Super Moderator
6,000 Posts
Welcome to GTT

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
You'll find Out real quick how Heavy the Hydraulic tiller is to Put On That said I have a 42inch Hydraulic tiller On a X700 series

I had a 30inch Mechanical tiller for 12 years On a JD240 it is a nice Light implement to deal with compared to the 42inch Hydraulic which actually weigh more On the X500 series then the X700 series do to the sub frame

The 30inch On a UN-plowed soil will usually Take several Passes to get to the right consistency (not see grass depending on your soil) But if using it after You tilled the first Year In the same Garden Plot it will do a great Job year after year.

The 42inch Hydraulic tiller Can usually do it In one Pass to get it ready for Planting(again depending on soil) The 42inch Hydraulic tiller Can also be turned around On the frame to Be used for Back tilling. I have Never bothered to switch the 3 point Frame around You would Have to do the same for Your frame mounted Hydraulic tiller

The Nice thing about the rear rocker shaft you Install for the Hydraulic tiller is You Can attach they Hydraulic lift Integral Hitch(sleeve Hitch) to it so you don't need to Install all the mechanical rocker shaft components for the Hydraulic lift Integral hitch to use it. You use the same lift arm as the tiller Just Looked at the rocker shaft for the 30inch Mechanical You could also use that rocker shaft to raise and Lower the Hydraulic lift Integral Hitch as well see Picture Below circled in Green Hydraulic tiller rear rocker shaft lift arm Red is for the 30inch tiller

The Good thing about the Hydraulic tiller On the X500 series is you don't need to change out the Hydraulic lift cylinder anymore like You Had to for the GX300 series(it was a Permanent Hydraulic lift cylinder upgrade)

The only real downside of the 42inch Hydraulic tiller on the X500 series is the weight when Mounting it or storing it off the Tractor even with the assist wheels

Make sure You Take the 42inch Hydraulic tiller On and Off on a Hard surface or You will really hate that Hydraulic tiller and Make sure You get 4 suitcase weights for the front Might even Invest In wheel weights as well if You go with the Hydraulic tiller. As it is Just one Heavy SOB to deal with on or off the tractor (y)

Welcome to the forum as well :)

Screenshot_2021-04-19 John Deere Parts Catalog.png
Screenshot_2021-04-19 John Deere Parts Catalog(1).png

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is exactly the type of experienced information I was looking for. Thank you for your time. This will really help in my decision. I will be removing and attaching it on a concrete shop floor. Again, thank you.

John

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
As long as you are on concrete, the 42 isn't a huge pain. I have no experience with the 30, but the 42 does a great job, and part of that is the weight, it's over 400 pounds with fluid. You can also change from forward to reverse rotation; the hydraulic motor, shaft, and bearing can be mounted either way to suit your preference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you are on concrete, the 42 isn't a huge pain. I have no experience with the 30, but the 42 does a great job, and part of that is the weight, it's over 400 pounds with fluid. You can also change from forward to reverse rotation; the hydraulic motor, shaft, and bearing can be mounted either way to suit your preference.
That's good to know. I will be tilling quite a bit of new ground, and I am thinking I will need the weight. I am glad I joined this group. Very good experience found here. I will follow up with photos from all the help offered for more discussion later.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I have the 30" tiller, and had one on my 345. Does a great job and is a lot lighter than the 42" hydro. The 30 is offset to one side a bit and will only cover half of the one tire.
IMG_2821.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The 42" hydraulic tiller is a beast of a tiller.
Is it heavy? Yep, but you really dont want a light tiller, or it will just ride up on top of the soil instead of digging down into it.
Ive got the older 30 hydraulic tiller, with the optional extension, or the predecessor to the current 42 tiller. Running behind my 318, it doesnt much care about the type of soil its in. One possible negative is that it will, without issue, cut right through 3/4" roots without you knowing. If it gets to moving around, youve usually got something good sized under the ground.
Unless cost is a factor, I would, without hesitation, pick the hydraulic over the mechanical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the 30" tiller, and had one on my 345. Does a great job and is a lot lighter than the 42" hydro. The 30 is offset to one side a bit and will only cover half of the one tire. View attachment 784403 View attachment 784404
Hey thanks for the information and the photos. So did you run into any issues with either not enough power or depth or anything at all? Was it new ground you were tilling or established? Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 42" hydraulic tiller is a beast of a tiller.
Is it heavy? Yep, but you really dont want a light tiller, or it will just ride up on top of the soil instead of digging down into it.
Ive got the older 30 hydraulic tiller, with the optional extension, or the predecessor to the current 42 tiller. Running behind my 318, it doesnt much care about the type of soil its in. One possible negative is that it will, without issue, cut right through 3/4" roots without you knowing. If it gets to moving around, youve usually got something good sized under the ground.
Unless cost is a factor, I would, without hesitation, pick the hydraulic over the mechanical.
Thanks Jim, I think your assessment regarding power is correct.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Hey thanks for the information and the photos. So did you run into any issues with either not enough power or depth or anything at all? Was it new ground you were tilling or established? Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
No problems with power, the tiller will bury itself to the max depth which is around 6". It's established ground.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
One other thing, how do you like the 590?
Love it the EFI is great. A step up from the 98 345 I had. Spent a little more on the power mulch control and PF bagger, but the 345 I was piecemealing accessories that I didn't buy from the start. I had the first one for 21 years so I figured it payed for itself easily.
The only thing I wish it had was the hydro lever to raise and lower the deck and attachments like I had on the 345. Other than that I'm very nappy with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love it the EFI is great. A step up from the 98 345 I had. Spent a little more on the power mulch control and PF bagger, but the 345 I was piecemealing accessories that I didn't buy from the start. I had the first one for 21 years so I figured it payed for itself easily.
The only thing I wish it had was the hydro lever to raise and lower the deck and attachments like I had on the 345. Other than that I'm very nappy with it.
I thought the X590 had hydraulic deck lift?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Yes the Hydraulic Lift lever is the Only Irritating thing about the X500 series tractors with Hydraulic Lift (y)

Reactions: TJR345
1 - 17 of 17 Posts