Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mowed four times with my X590, enough to be able to definitely say that on my property (lots of hills, obstacles, few open areas, about 2 acres to mow, give or take, hard to tell), it takes me a little more than half the time to mow with the X590 as it does with the 1025R. What used to take 1.5 hours now takes less than 1 (about 50 minutes). It's pretty incredible. The difference is how quickly I can toss the little X590 around. It's also significantly faster than my old X758 (about 1.25 hours).

And that's including all the extra spots I mow (between trees, side slopes, etc.) that I didn't even mow with the 1025R because it either didn't fit or would have rolled.

I thought it would be better to mow with, which is why I got it, but I didn't expect this.

mods...please change title/subject to "almost twice as fast."

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I've mowed four times with my X590, enough to be able to definitely say that on my property (lots of hills, obstacles, few open areas, about 2 acres to mow, give or take, hard to tell), it takes me a little more than half the time to mow with the X590 as it does with the 1025R. What used to take 1.5 hours now takes less than 1 (about 50 minutes). It's pretty incredible. The difference is how quickly I can toss the little X590 around. It's also significantly faster than my old X758 (about 1.25 hours).

And that's including all the extra spots I mow (between trees, side slopes, etc.) that I didn't even mow with the 1025R because it either didn't fit or would have rolled.

I thought it would be better to mow with, which is why I got it, but I didn't expect this.

mods...please change title/subject to "almost twice as fast."
So, what would you attribute the biggest difference too between the x590 and the x758? I can see the obvious difference between the x590 and the 1025R, but it would seem the x758 is more similar to the x590 than different.......So, where do you think the time difference is between the x590 and the x758?

Also, just out of curiosity, what size deck does the x590 have verses the x758 and the 1025R?

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, what would you attribute the biggest difference too between the x590 and the x758? I can see the obvious difference between the x590 and the 1025R, but it would seem the x758 is more similar to the x590 than different.......So, where do you think the time difference is between the x590 and the x758?

Also, just out of curiosity, what size deck does the x590 have verses the x758 and the 1025R?
All three have/had a 54" deck.

I think it's because I had to be careful with the X758 in spots where I can mow with reckless abandon with the 590. Partly that's because it's less likely to roll, so I can do things like go down a steep slope then turn, go along it sideways, then turn back up, and essentially go in circles. Or just zip along a side slope whereas I had to proceed carefully and judiciously with the 758. It also has less steering effort and is a lot lighter, so it responds to direction changes faster. There are a lot of places where I have to do all kinds of fancy maneuvers to get to the spots I need to cut, so that helps too. And the tighter turning radius, which is effectively even tighter because the machine is a lot smaller.

Mostly it's the the proceed carefully vs. wooohoooo thing.

My first tractor, an X570, had an even tighter turning radius, but I couldn't use it as effectively because of the manual steering.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts

I think it's because I had to be careful with the X758 in spots where I can mow with reckless abandon with the 590. Partly that's because it's less likely to roll, so I can do things like go down a steep slope then turn, go along it sideways, then turn back up, and essentially go in circles. Or just zip along a side slope whereas I had to proceed carefully and judiciously with the 758. It also has less steering effort and is a lot lighter, so it responds to direction changes faster. There are a lot of places where I have to do all kinds of fancy maneuvers to get to the spots I need to cut, so that helps too. And the tighter turning radius, which is effectively even tighter because the machine is a lot smaller.

My first tractor, an X570, had an even tighter turning radius, but I couldn't use it as effectively because of the manual steering.
Sounds like you have the perfect mowing machine for your property.

But it all depends on one’s property - an x590 would likely not be faster than my 2 series mowing my property.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you have the perfect mowing machine for your property.

But it all depends on one’s property - an x590 would likely not be faster than my 2 series mowing my property.
Absolutely. I have one open area, maybe half an acre, maybe one acre (it's hard to tell!). In that one open area alone, the X758 was the fastest, followed by the 1025R, followed by the X590.

As you said, it all depends.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Don't tell my wife it can be done faster. I like mowing and take my time. If I have free time she'll find more to do.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts

The right tool for the job sure makes all the difference in the world. Just don't forget, as I am sure you know, all machines can get into trouble with slopes, side slopes, etc. All it takes is a little moisture or some leaves or worse yet, some wet leaves and suddenly it can become an adventure one might not want.

Do you have a "suicide knob" or whatever the local term is for the "steering spinner knob" on your steering wheel? I have always had them on my tractors and I would bet I do 99% of the steering while operating the machine with the knob. In fact., on my 1025r, usually the only time I actually touch the steering wheel itself is when I am getting on and off the machine.......

John Deere's ad slogan from earlier this year, "it's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast" (I think that's it) and the right piece of equipment for the lawn makes all the difference. Each of us need to find what best meets our needs based upon the terrain, lawn layout and mowing obstacles of the property as well as our personal mowing style.

I want the lawn to have perfectly straight "stripes" of alternating direction on it when I am done, so it looks like a major league ball field. I alternate the mowing direction by 90 degrees each cutting and the end result prevents lawn ruts. My mower has the striping roller on the back of the deck. I joined the Commercial Zero Turn mower camp when I bought my 1025R and I didn't even buy a MMM for my 1 series and couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I've got a suicide knob on both machines. I love them and I couldn't mow fast without one.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Don't tell my wife it can be done faster. I like mowing and take my time. If I have free time she'll find more to do.
Mowing is one of my favorite things to do. When I had my zero turn I was getting done too fast. But back then I was working 60 hours a week plus my mowing contracts - time was precious. But now....I don’t want to be done faster.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mowing is one of my favorite things to do. When I had my zero turn I was getting done too fast. But back then I was working 60 hours a week plus my mowing contracts - time was precious. But now....I don’t want to be done faster.
Yeah, me too. I like to take my time. I usually listen to audibooks while I mow, and it becomes part of the experience. But lately it's been absurdly hot and humid here, so I've been rushing to get it over with and jump in the pond. I also like to do at least a run or two with each machine as fast as possible, just to see what can be done.

Reactions: Levi and coaltrain

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Size is a pretty huge factor. I'm almost convinced to sell my 62D deck, and buy a lightly used X300.
Not a bad idea. I have absolutely no regrets in skipping the deck for my 2720 and mowing with a X500. :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I agree with op . I have a 54D that I got with my 1025r and it hasn't even been in the grass !! I enjoy mowing with my x 580 !!!! :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with op . I have a 54D that I got with my 1025r and it hasn't even been in the grass !! I enjoy mowing with my x 580 !!!! :greentractorride:
I kinda feel bad about it now. I have this perfectly good mower deck for the 1025R and I never want to use it again.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm curious about something... I wonder if you'd be faster on your X590 than I am on my X758? I know you say the X5 is faster for you because you were more cautious on the X7... whereas I turn hard fast enough fairly often to lift one of the rear wheels. I've got the 60 inch deck though, and what I've found is its almost impossible to roll over because the deck won't let it even on the ditch across the street from me at almost 30-35 degrees. Front tire on the high side will come off the ground and the 4wd basically crab walks across.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm curious about something... I wonder if you'd be faster on your X590 than I am on my X758? I know you say the X5 is faster for you because you were more cautious on the X7... whereas I turn hard fast enough fairly often to lift one of the rear wheels. I've got the 60 inch deck though, and what I've found is its almost impossible to roll over because the deck won't let it even on the ditch across the street from me at almost 30-35 degrees. Front tire on the high side will come off the ground and the 4wd basically crab walks across.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That would be a fun contest. Let's race! :)

To be clear though, I wasn't cautious because I wanted to be, but because I had to be. Then again, I didn't have the 60" deck on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now go on it sideways along the slope.

Wait...please don't. :)

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts