Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally park the x590 with the mower deck or snowblower in the down position since it will drift there anyway. After cleaning up after out last snow fall I parked it in the garage with the snowblower up so that the melting snow would drop off easier.

When I went out there a few days later there was a small pool of oil under the front of the tractor where the snowblower attaches. Reflecting on this I had noticed some marks on the tarp I park it on when cutting grass after my wife had used it and didn't lower the deck. I had assumed it was just grass drippings since it had rained. Now I am wondering if that was oil also.

I know that the valve for the lift is one way and uses the weight of the attachment to lower. I am going to crawl under it later to take a look, but is the oil leak normal or is it likely coming out of the cylinder or hoses?

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
An oil leak is never normal. It could be coming from anywhere. You will need to inspect the cylinder rod seal and all hose attachments points to try and localize the leak. It may just be a loose fitting which is quite common.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I own a 580 and your 590 hydraulics are the same. You said that you noticed a leak but where exactly. If you noticed it after doing the lawn the fluid would drip on the deck first if coming from the hydraulic cylinder or hoses in that area. And, neither the blower, blade, or deck are lifted using separate hydraulics so anything under those attachments would be suspect. Can you narrow it down a bit? What about steering? That could be the culprit also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was way off base on this. I was able to crawl under the tractor and look for the leak. None of the hydraulics were leaking but I found some oil on the frame.

I traced that and found that I have a leak around a valve cover. I cleaned up what was wet and it didn't show any more oil, but I am sure if I turned it over it would leak again.

It will go off to the dealer for repair, but I am wondering how urgent this is. I checked the oil level and it was fine. It would be nice if I could wait until it was time to switch from the snowblower to the mower deck. I don't get a lot of snow; in a normal winter I would get one or two more snowfalls that I would use the x590 on for about an hour each time. If I am willing to deal with cleaning up the oil on the garage floor will I risk serious damage?

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Well I was way off base on this. I was able to crawl under the tractor and look for the leak. None of the hydraulics were leaking but I found some oil on the frame.

I traced that and found that I have a leak around a valve cover. I cleaned up what was wet and it didn't show any more oil, but I am sure if I turned it over it would leak again.

It will go off to the dealer for repair, but I am wondering how urgent this is. I checked the oil level and it was fine. It would be nice if I could wait until it was time to switch from the snowblower to the mower deck. I don't get a lot of snow; in a normal winter I would get one or two more snowfalls that I would use the x590 on for about an hour each time. If I am willing to deal with cleaning up the oil on the garage floor will I risk serious damage?
Did you check to ensure the valve cover bolts are tight? Be careful as those bolts are only to be torqued to 4.35 ft-lb (which isn't much).

If the oil leak is very small and the bolts are tight I would keep a very close watch on the oil level before and after you run the tractor and add oil as needed to keep the level at the full mark. You should be able to nurse it until spring.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with jgayman. Just run it a while and check the frame where you first saw the oil. Hopefully it does not run off to drip on the muffler or exhaust pipe. It might be such a small amount that wiping it off after each use will keep it in check. If you get lucky with a loose bolt, the problem might be solved.

tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Did you check to ensure the valve cover bolts are tight? Be careful as those bolts are only to be torqued to 4.35 ft-lb (which isn't much).

If the oil leak is very small and the bolts are tight I would keep a very close watch on the oil level before and after you run the tractor and add oil as needed to keep the level at the full mark. You should be able to nurse it until spring.
I nursed a oil leak for 13 years on my Massey 135 I was not going to split my tractor for a Rear Seal leaking a quart every few months of use on a tractor with 11,000 hours on the tractor original engine. Sold it and told the guy about it and the hours he was still happy to get the tractor. I had gallons of barely used oil from my Semi Truck I just put in it. I changed my oil in the Water Tender every year and it would only have a few 1,000 miles on it!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Take it back to the dealer?? Whatever happened to removing the valve cover and putting on a new gasket with a bit of #2 Permatex to make sure it never leaked again????? Kids, all the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take it back to the dealer?? Whatever happened to removing the valve cover and putting on a new gasket with a bit of #2 Permatex to make sure it never leaked again????? Kids, all the same.
"Kids, all the same" doesn't apply or make sense. Just because you might be an older tractor owner doesn't mean that you, or anyone, shouldn't use the warranty coverage that came with your expensive tractor. He has an $8k tractor with an oil leak and an active warranty. I consider myself fairly handy and I would still use the warranty on my tractor if I had an oil leak. Once my tractor is out of warranty, I'll start troubleshooting these problems, but I paid a premium for a tractor and I'll make sure to use my warranty coverage whenever needed.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Some times it is easier to fix something then load up a tractor on a trailer take it to town so the dealer can have it for a few days to fix a minor problem. Then take the trailer back to town to pick it up. I had a stud break off on my 3 point that supported the lower link. It was under warrantee and they would repair it at the dealer. No way was I going to load it up to get it fixed! Went to town got the part from them and put it on and took the old part back so I did not have to pay them for it. If it is a valve cover leaking I think I would give it a shot to stop the leak first now if my hydraulic pump quit that is a different story. Just depends on what is wrong for me to take my tractor to town even if they would fix it for free. By the way that stud was a bear to just out of the Lift Arm it was a taper fit and 1/2 haft of it was still in the arm!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Some times it is easier to fix something then load up a tractor on a trailer take it to town so the dealer can have it for a few days to fix a minor problem. Then take the trailer back to town to pick it up. I had a stud break off on my 3 point that supported the lower link. It was under warrantee and they would repair it at the dealer. No way was I going to load it up to get it fixed! Went to town got the part from them and put it on and took the old part back so I did not have to pay them for it. If it is a valve cover leaking I think I would give it a shot to stop the leak first now if my hydraulic pump quit that is a different story. Just depends on what is wrong for me to take my tractor to town even if they would fix it for free. By the way that stud was a bear to just out of the Lift Arm it was a taper fit and 1/2 haft of it was still in the arm!
I completely agree with you about doing your own work if you feel comfortable doing so, but I don't fault anyone who wants to use their warranty for minor or major issues. My issue was with the other poster's comment, "Kids, all the same." He was trying to qualify himself as being better and/or more knowledgeable than other people and the comment came off as being very arrogant.

·
Registered
636 Posts
"Kids, all the same" doesn't apply or make sense. Just because you might be an older tractor owner doesn't mean that you, or anyone, shouldn't use the warranty coverage that came with your expensive tractor. He has an $8k tractor with an oil leak and an active warranty. I consider myself fairly handy and I would still use the warranty on my tractor if I had an oil leak. Once my tractor is out of warranty, I'll start troubleshooting these problems, but I paid a premium for a tractor and I'll make sure to use my warranty coverage whenever needed.
It makes perfect sense, and my age has nothing to do with that. As stated below your reply there will be any number of reasons for a person to NOT run to the dealer for warranty service. My tractor is new as of last spring and fully covered by the warranty, but you can be damned sure I won't be renting or borrowing a trailer to run it to another state for a valve cover gasket or other simple issue of that type. The OP doesn't have a blown seal or hole in the block. The OP, according to his statements has a leaking valve cover, and tightening the valve cover bolts would be the first thing he should do, warranty or not. After that he might call the dealer and if still leaking ask the dealer if he could replace the gasket himself, INSTEAD of hauling the tractor to the dealer. Lucky for your dealer head light bulbs are not covered by the warranty or you'd be having them change those for you too.:treehugger:

·
Registered
42 Posts
It makes perfect sense, and my age has nothing to do with that. As stated below your reply there will be any number of reasons for a person to NOT run to the dealer for warranty service. My tractor is new as of last spring and fully covered by the warranty, but you can be damned sure I won't be renting or borrowing a trailer to run it to another state for a valve cover gasket or other simple issue of that type. The OP doesn't have a blown seal or hole in the block. The OP, according to his statements has a leaking valve cover, and tightening the valve cover bolts would be the first thing he should do, warranty or not. After that he might call the dealer and if still leaking ask the dealer if he could replace the gasket himself, INSTEAD of hauling the tractor to the dealer. Lucky for your dealer head light bulbs are not covered by the warranty or you'd be having them change those for you too.:treehugger:
When I received my x758, there were some minor issues with the tractor after it was delivered and my dealer is about an hour away. Ironically, in light of your post about me changing bulbs, my rear lights did not work. I tracked down the rear wiring harness and was able to find where it was unplugged. I have had other minor issues, as well, that I've been able to troubleshoot with some help from the dealer and these forums.

I've also had some issues that I was unable to troubleshoot and the dealer had to assist with those. My point is, some people have the comfort and/skill to do more things than others. I guarantee you have more comfort/skill to do more work on your tractor than I do and I would end up calling the dealer for help. I'll try and learn from each problem, but some are more technical than I can deal with.

Your comment about, "Kids, all the same" just struck a chord because whether you intended it or not, it assumes younger generations run to the dealer for help about anything. This simply isn't true and it's on a person-by-person basis, regardless of age. I understand there certainly are people who do this, and when the warranty is up, they're in for a real bad time when they have to pay for out-of-warranty repairs. I'll surely try and figure things out before paying for out-of-warranty repairs.

Also, I'm not sure how the tree-hugger animation comes into play here.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
For me stuff come easy to fix most of the time. Ever since I was a kid back in the 50s real early 60s I have been tearing things apart out in our garage to see how they work. I use to run around and pick up old lawn mowers and fix them and re/sell them at 12-13 years old. My Father died when I was 11 so I had to learn all this on my own to make any money I wanted for buying stuff. As far as school was concerned I was a hard learner cause my mind was always designing things on paper even designed a submarine once and figured how to keep the hydrogen out of the working space from the battery's and how to raise and lower it in the water at probley 14 years old. Wish I could have built it!

While most guys were chasing girls I was building things and hanging out on construction sites watching them work. Kind of getting my Father thing that way. Most teachers said I would not turn out worth while because I did not like home work or other stuff what I thought was un/important. So I dropped out of high school and joined the Army. They had kept me back a year in Jr. High so I turned 18 in the 11th grade. I wanted to go to Vietnam and that is another reason I joined. Got a GED before leaving. I took what I learned tearing stuff apart and ran generators for our firebase and self taught myself how to wire the place up. My MOS was operating Heavy Equipment but so was a lot of others doing the same thing? Most were scared of electricity so I found a nitch.

I had this way of thinking that I would try anything and just because I never done it before I would try anyways. I mean were all stupid till we try and do it a few times. I got out of the Army and wanted to be a Carpenter but a guy dropped a 2x4 on me and I figured being small it was not my trade. So I went back to being a electrician and that job had some status to it on most jobs? Got good at it and wanted to be a electrical contractor but you can't buy the license like you can being a General Contractor, you have to know your stuff to get a administrator license. So I took the test and failed. Back in the early 90's the past fail rate was 3% meaning 3 people out of 100 passed the test! Lawyers were *****ing because only 27% past the Bar Exam!! Crap what a set back I had to open the books again at home. I took the test 3 more times and passed it! Man what a rush now I could become one.

Met a smart Lady and married her and with her book smarts we went into business as a Electrical Contractor. Took another test and got my Commercial Electrian Administrator License some call it a Master Electrician License. Was in buisness for 13 years and I taught myself every thing I know in this field did not go to school for any of it. My problem is I need to learn it on my terms not there's. So the reason for this story is you can do stuff if you try and never give up. Can't use the fact you never done it before because there is always a first time for everything. To me the kids thing is some kids say I can't do it and never try. Some kids are super smart in the books but can't change a tire. I was not smart in the books but can wire a hospital or school and figure out what is needed to power it up load wise. I re/wired a complete hospitals fire alarm, pulled out the whole old system wire and all and installed new. First time I did one and it worked 100%. Did a Jr High schools fire alarm and Low Voltage System. Wired a Zoo's Water Control System for there 5 Aquarium tanks at the Rocky Shores Zoo at Point Defiance, Washington State.

Over the years the jobs added up and were never boring but my hands wore out. Now at 67 years I am forgetting more then most will learn in this trade but still love to do the work. So I build things to keep my mind working I see to many old guys burn out and just waste away. Long post and if it was not for Spell Check you could not read most of it do to my spelling but that is OK I am retired now. So jump in break out a manual and learn about your tractor it is fun but you get dirty and nothing wrong with good dirt on your hands!

·
Registered
537 Posts
For me stuff come easy to fix most of the time. Ever since I was a kid back in the 50s real early 60s I have been tearing things apart out in our garage to see how they work. I use to run around and pick up old lawn mowers and fix them and re/sell them at 12-13 years old. My Father died when I was 11 so I had to learn all this on my own to make any money I wanted for buying stuff. As far as school was concerned I was a hard learner cause my mind was always designing things on paper even designed a submarine once and figured how to keep the hydrogen out of the working space from the battery's and how to raise and lower it in the water at probley 14 years old. Wish I could have built it!

While most guys were chasing girls I was building things and hanging out on construction sites watching them work. Kind of getting my Father thing that way. Most teachers said I would not turn out worth while because I did not like home work or other stuff what I thought was un/important. So I dropped out of high school and joined the Army. They had kept me back a year in Jr. High so I turned 18 in the 11th grade. I wanted to go to Vietnam and that is another reason I joined. Got a GED before leaving. I took what I learned tearing stuff apart and ran generators for our firebase and self taught myself how to wire the place up. My MOS was operating Heavy Equipment but so was a lot of others doing the same thing? Most were scared of electricity so I found a nitch.

I had this way of thinking that I would try anything and just because I never done it before I would try anyways. I mean were all stupid till we try and do it a few times. I got out of the Army and wanted to be a Carpenter but a guy dropped a 2x4 on me and I figured being small it was not my trade. So I went back to being a electrician and that job had some status to it on most jobs? Got good at it and wanted to be a electrical contractor but you can't buy the license like you can being a General Contractor, you have to know your stuff to get a administrator license. So I took the test and failed. Back in the early 90's the past fail rate was 3% meaning 3 people out of 100 passed the test! Lawyers were *****ing because only 27% past the Bar Exam!! Crap what a set back I had to open the books again at home. I took the test 3 more times and passed it! Man what a rush now I could become one.

Met a smart Lady and married her and with her book smarts we went into business as a Electrical Contractor. Took another test and got my Commercial Electrian Administrator License some call it a Master Electrician License. Was in buisness for 13 years and I taught myself every thing I know in this field did not go to school for any of it. My problem is I need to learn it on my terms not there's. So the reason for this story is you can do stuff if you try and never give up. Can't use the fact you never done it before because there is always a first time for everything. To me the kids thing is some kids say I can't do it and never try. Some kids are super smart in the books but can't change a tire. I was not smart in the books but can wire a hospital or school and figure out what is needed to power it up load wise. I re/wired a complete hospitals fire alarm, pulled out the whole old system wire and all and installed new. First time I did one and it worked 100%. Did a Jr High schools fire alarm and Low Voltage System. Wired a Zoo's Water Control System for there 5 Aquarium tanks at the Rocky Shores Zoo at Point Defiance, Washington State.

Over the years the jobs added up and were never boring but my hands wore out. Now at 67 years I am forgetting more then most will learn in this trade but still love to do the work. So I build things to keep my mind working I see to many old guys burn out and just waste away. Long post and if it was not for Spell Check you could not read most of it do to my spelling but that is OK I am retired now. So jump in break out a manual and learn about your tractor it is fun but you get dirty and nothing wrong with good dirt on your hands!
I wish we had an education system that could recognize and harness the power of a mind like that. The country as a whole would be in a much better place if we could figure out a way to do that.

I don't have a story like yours but in the end I was finally able to embrace my abilities after I shed the social pressure to get white color job. I found my way as an engineer in the merchant marine and have been happy even since. I too found that being specialized in the electrical trades makes you a very valuable asset.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
So did the OP have a chance to check his rocker cover bolts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to those who have been helpful in this thread.

I was able to check the bolts on the valve cover. After tightening them I no longer have a puddle forming under the tractor, but there is still some oil leaking.

Now that I am retired I have better things to do than spend time working on a tractor that is under warranty. When I take off the snowblower I will have the dealer pick it up for free since it will be time to check the air in the tires. While they have it I will have them figure out why it is leaking. I will also have them check the headlights.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks to those who have been helpful in this thread.

I was able to check the bolts on the valve cover. After tightening them I no longer have a puddle forming under the tractor, but there is still some oil leaking.

Now that I am retired I have better things to do than spend time working on a tractor that is under warranty. When I take off the snowblower I will have the dealer pick it up for free since it will be time to check the air in the tires. While they have it I will have them figure out why it is leaking. I will also have them check the headlights.
Sure glad you were able to cure the leak with the turn of the wrench. Hope you didn't hurt yourself or spend money on the wrench. And think about it. Turning the wrench and solving the problem took less time than it took for you to write all of your uninformed BS posts. What's better is that while you're having the dealer do work you should be doing yourself you'll have more time to hug trees and whine about my posts. Way to go snowflake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts