Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just a quick update to my earlier posts about a new mower after my LA135 transmission started playing up. I got a good price on the LA135, so I've ordered the X590 with the 54" deck and brush guard. The dealer chucked in everything I need for the first service, a JD hat, plus delivery. I thought that was pretty good since he's 1.5 hours from my place. It ended up being $13800, which was a couple of thousand cheaper than the local shop, and they still wanted to bill me for delivery. That said, I've always followed the view that if you buy the best you only cry once, so I figure that once I go the X590 it'll be lasting me a lot longer than just getting something like the LA135 again. That plus the 1025R will give me pretty flexible options around the yard.

It's a 3 month wait to get one out from the US as there's none in Australia at the moment. I saw an X570 though sitting next to a D series, so I could see the frame etc are a clear upgrade over a normal lawn mower. It was quite impressive, and I think with the hydraulic steering and lift, my kids can start to help with the mowing when they get a little older. The LA135 is a bit of a workout, so if the steering is like the 1025R it'll be great.

Thanks everyone for their input, it helped me make the decision. I'll post again once I get my hands on it. I just mowed for probably the last time now with the LA135 as we're coming into winter and the grass has stopped growing. Now the wait...

regards,

craby

·
Registered
34 Posts
It ended up being $13800, which was a couple of thousand cheaper than the local shop
Congrats on ordering the x590! It's a great machine for sure.

So, I see that $13,800 Australian dollars is equal to $10,439 USD. Are the prices of Deere tractors that much more expensive in Australia? The MSRP for the x590 with 54" mower in America is $7,899 USD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You'll love you x5 series!

I just got a x570 and I love it. I had no need for hydraulics or power steering.

It's a fantastic machine. I love cutting grass now. My wife told me I've cut grass more this month than I did the last 10 years we've been together....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The x590 is a great tractor and the Accell deck gives a great cut.

Don't forget some pics.:good2:

·
Premium Member
840 Posts

So, I see that $13,800 Australian dollars is equal to $10,439 USD. Are the prices of Deere tractors that much more expensive in Australia? The MSRP for the x590 with 54" mower in America is $7,899 USD.
Whoa thank god you did the conversion. I saw the initial post and thought "holy smokes that's what I nearly paid for my X758 with 54" and triple bagger and cart." Then i looked at the location and saw this and realized, ahhh outside the US and conversion factor. :thumbup1gif:

Congrats OP on the purchase, you'll love the 590! Power steering is awesome and a pleasure to have.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Congratulations. Great machine. Have had ours since late last Summer and really enjoy mowing with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, unfortunately JD gear is quite expensive here. In fact, pretty well everything is about 1/3rd more expensive than what you pay over there, cars, electronics etc. For a while there, although it might have changed now, even online electronic purchases like e-books, music etc were billed at a higher rate as well. No doubt some of it is shipping and duty etc, but since we have a free trade deal it still seems like we're getting ripped off. I think part of it is it's just how it always is, and we don't have much choice about it. There's been times where I've bought stuff from overseas and it came in hundreds of dollars cheaper than the best local price, even with shipping on top.

Fortunately I got a few thousand for the LA135 so it offset the higher cost and encouraged me to pull the trigger. I'm super keen for it. Hopefully it should arrive by the end of next month or early July.

Photo's to follow!

regards,

craby

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Yes, unfortunately JD gear is quite expensive here. In fact, pretty well everything is about 1/3rd more expensive than what you pay over there, cars, electronics etc. For a while there, although it might have changed now, even online electronic purchases like e-books, music etc were billed at a higher rate as well. No doubt some of it is shipping and duty etc, but since we have a free trade deal it still seems like we're getting ripped off. I think part of it is it's just how it always is, and we don't have much choice about it. There's been times where I've bought stuff from overseas and it came in hundreds of dollars cheaper than the best local price, even with shipping on top.

Fortunately I got a few thousand for the LA135 so it offset the higher cost and encouraged me to pull the trigger. I'm super keen for it. Hopefully it should arrive by the end of next month or early July.

Photo's to follow!

regards,

craby
Congratulations on your new tractor purchase and also congratulations fellow Australian Will Power won the Indy 500 today.........It's strange to think that June and July is going into Winter Weather down under........and while I am plowing snow, you are cutting grass......

I guess it's all what we get used to. :unknown::laugh:

Just curious, with costs so high, Is it safe to assume the wages and incomes are higher on average in Australia (as compared to the U.S. for example) to help balance things out?

Also, is it true that the Deere in the logo for John Deere is headed the opposite direction on all Deere equipment, logo's "down under" as compared to the Deere logo in the U.S.?

(Just kidding about the Deere logo....:laugh:.)

Looking forward to the pictures of your new machine......

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts

Yeah I had to do a double take when I saw the Price. Until I realized he's a Aussie & uses AUD for currency :bigthumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, with costs so high, Is it safe to assume the wages and incomes are higher on average in Australia (as compared to the U.S. for example) to help balance things out?

Hi Sulleybear,

I think that's the case. We don't tip here as a matter of course, which I understand is something you do to pad out minimum wages, we have comprehensive free medical care and a broad set of benefit schemes to help as well. Wages have been pretty stagnant here for many years though with a lot of businesses posting mega profits, but not much movement on wages while cost of living has gone up and house prices too, so the fair work commission just announced a new increase to the minimum wage yesterday. It's now $719.20 a week, plus whatever benefits you may be eligible for on top of that. The government has also announced a new income tax package to knock out one of the tiers, so most people won't pay anymore than 32.5c in the dollar between $41k and $200k, whereas at the moment there's a 37.2c bracket in there as well (but the politicans are punching on about it so who knows if it'll get through parliament). Fuel here is fairly expensive compared to you though, as is electricity. I pay $1.75c per litre for 98 RON, and electricity is 26c per kw/h with 89c a day connection. That said where I live in Queensland, it doesn't get super cold so we don't have to worry about central heating like they do down south, so I don't have a gas bill on top of that.

People on low incomes are struggling at the moment, particularly with regards to energy and fuel prices, so the wage increase is about $25 a week, which will help out. House prices are insane now, with houses that used to cost $100k when I was a young man now over a million. We've had sizeable population increase in recent years, some through migration, the rest the usual way, and it seems to be straining everything, so prices seem to go up.

I'm just glad I'm not starting out afresh now as a young person, but I remember it was tough when we started out too. Getting a good job and earning money is the key as always. I don't think that ever changes.

As for JD stuff, yeah it's dear, but like I said, everything is compared to you I think. Most cars are about $10k minimum more than in the US for the same model. I'm pretty sure it's the same deal in New Zealand as well.

I'm really looking forward to the new mower. I wonder if the X series are made in the US or Mexico now?

regards,

craby

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's arrived!

Just a quick update to advise that the X590 has arrived a full month early after being built to order and shipped out. Photo attached. I even got the John Deere cap. Nice!

Now I just have to wait for winter to finish so the grass can grow again. When I say winter it was 23c today and I'm wearing shorts, but it's down to about 5 or 6c in the mornings so that's a bit more 'winter' I suppose.

I must say I'm very impressed by the build quality, and it's a whole lot more than a normal ride-on. I can see it's going to be a great addition to the shed.

Thanks everyone for your advice on whether or not it was the way to go, it clearly was.

regards,

craby

DSC09515.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats! Looks great and right at home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will love it more every time you use it.

I have 30 plus hours on my x570 now. I smile the whole time I'm mowing. I have more than a dozen vintage garden tractors that I can use at anytime. They have no been touched this summer!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts