Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago i posted a "recommend a garden/lawn tractor" thread. after much feedback (you guys are awesome) i decided on the X590. now that ive taken the deck off, put on the plow attachment, put the deck back on, towed various attachments... i figured now would be a good time to post an update sharing so of my thoughts.

the good- this mower has preformed even better than i thought it would. only a couple times while pushing some gravel have i even needed to use the differential lock. im able to drive up and around the slopes on my yard without tearing it up or any kind of slippage. the mower deck really throws clipping a good ways. the EFI is awesome. last week we had a few days where the temp got down into the 20's (freak occurrence for where i live this time of year) and it has fired right up within a second or two. the EFI also makes the mower very easy for my wife to operate. the power steering is a feature i didnt really give much thought to but it really makes whipping around corners a breeze. it also seems extremely nimble and agile for something this size. it definitely turns much sharper than any other mower ive had. i question rather i could have just gone with a X390 but i think the differential lock will come more into play when i get to plowing the neighborhood and driveway. so far ive scrapped gravel, hauled said gravel in a 10P cart and leveled low spots in the driveway as well as leveled the inside of my lean-to. ive plugged my yard and my parents yard. pulled a tow-behind spreader on both yards. i could tell that the plug aerator was putting the mower to work, but nothing concerning. I've also used the 2" ball to pull a 10' trailer around. i'm still in the process of clearing out brush in the woods next to my house to get access to the rounds of hickory that have been there for a couple years. i intend to use the X590 to get down in there and tow out the rounds to a more flat area of the woods. ill then split to rounds and load them in the cart. between towing the rounds uphill, and then carrying the split wood uphill in a cart, i should have a better understanding of what the limitations are on this machine.

the bad- im really reaching trying to find anything "bad"... while not reflective of the machine the operating cost added up quickly for me. again, a lot of this is cause of my own. first, i purchased a bolt on 2" receiver/weight rack fro Ebay. with that i also got the 3 in 1 towing attachment from heavy hitch. that led to the purchase of tow straps and chains. as mentioned before i got a 10P cart. i also ended up buying my own tow behind plug aerator (trac-vac) instead of continuing to borrow my dad's. little purchases here and there that i didnt originally anticipate that have nickel and dimed my actual overall cost up. for example, spare transmission fluid, funnels, grease gun, grease, ect. while not being stocked on proper tools and supplies are no faults of the machine, it is certainly something to consider for a new owner. I feel like some sort of "check off" guide from deere listing what tools will be required or suggested for general upkeep would help out. another thing im not a fan off is having to remove the front blade hitch before installing the deck. i just feel like a little engineering could make it to where the deck and front hitch could both share the lifting mechanism at the same time.

the ugly- there isnt a lot to list here. the first is that when i was putting together the front blade assembly it seemed like there was a lot of pins involved. i know i will lose some. and i know i will definitely bend some out of whack. it will probably be wise on my part to just get a bag of them. lastly, im not a fan of the hydraulic lift lever/plastic flap. i didnt really notice it much until I put the front blade on, but i think an actual lever seems like a more natural option ( like one on the X700 series). i think its because while using the blade there is a lot more up/down action going on and something about using that plastic "flap" just seems weird.

well thats about it. all said and done ive been very pleased with my purchases. my wife has enjoyed riding it just as much as i have. our yard is well on its way after the plugging and over seeding. and look forward to using it through the winter collecting wood and plowing. if anything, it has certainly given me a reason to get outside, be more active, and have a piece of equipment to take pride in.

·
Registered
873 Posts
What you mention above mirrors my own experience with my tractor last year, an X580. I really liked the 580, however, after pulling box blades, rakes, pushing loam and snow, pulling carts, etc. I had worked myself into a position where I had reached the end of the 580 capabilities. I needed larger attachments, 4wd, a bigger easier to work blade (hydraulics), 3pt hitch, and the ability to work larger projects.

I solved, or actually JD solved my concerns by offering the 0% 60 plan, and by my dealer paying off my investment on the 580. I now drive an X738 and payments are actually less than they were for the 580. I'll have this thing paid for pretty quick, but the 700 series has opened my eyes. I'm doing work now that I used to do for my sister on her farm with a Ford 4000 back in the 60's.

Do I need a loader? No, but I do need a grapple, and Innovative makes a perfect grapple for the X7xx more than capable of doing the work I need done moving boulders, cut trees, removing saplings, etc.

Now, if you intend to keep the X590, do yourself a big favor and purchase the powered integral sleeve hitch. Have fun, and happy hunting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after using my dad's BX2370, i think if i ever feel the need for more id probably keep the X590 and check into a used SCUT. i had originally planned on getting the power sleeve hitch with a brinly plow as me and my wife wanted to do a vegetable garden. since then we decided on doing several raised beds instead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is the same maker! the version I got wasn't for all wheel steer though. I might be able to link it tomorrow. if that something your looking at, I can say I've been impressed. I think the fact that it attaches in three different spots makes it more solid.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had my 590 since 2017 and it does what I need.
The downsides I have are removing and installing the deck could be easier. The other is the power integral hitch arm (always installed) causes friction on the deck arms. The arms won't lower without weight and I have to pry them down while holding the hyd in lower. I do need to take the body off and check the linkage and maybe grease it.
Otherwise I have moved and spread a tri-axel of processed gravel, yards of top soil.
I have a landscape rake, the power shovel, 48" front blade (just bought it), powerflow with smaller bagger, 17 cuft agri-fab poly cart, de-thatcher, a drag for leveling soil.

I use a 5/8" carriage bolt through the hitch to lift and move a couple of small ball hitch trailers around.

I use the diff lock whenever pulling my cart up a hill I have out of the woods.
Engaging it can be finicky. It is easy if there is little pulling load and you turn slightly to get different axle speeds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Weight-Bracket-with-2-Receiver-John-Deere-X320-X360-X370-X380-X500/254379430572?hash=item3b3a3212ac:g:~JYAAOSwbYdapVuc
here is the link to the exact item i had bought. if you're like me, youll probably need a couple adjustable wrenches to attach the hardware in the existing towing hole as it requires a socket size over an inch. its nice and hefty and probably adds a good 30lbs to the rear by itself. as mentioned before, im a fan of it attaching to the entire back of the mower in three different spots to spread the stress out. hopefully ill avoid anything bending out of whack. it certainly isnt the cheapest option though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Glad the X590 is working out for you. First time you go to snow plow with X590, you’ll be happy for added weight ( plus strength of K72) not to mention the diff lock. You’ll be happy you have the 590 and not the 390. The costs can add up in a hurry in the first year, I thought the same thing when I bought my X590- 5 years ago, I bought it with 47 inch snow blower “package” .. but it only came with 2 suitcase, weights, had to buy 2 more, wheel weights needed them, snow cab yep needed them, drift cutter yeah needed two of them- by the time I got done I had spent an extra 1,000 bucks.. but you know what since that time other than routine maintenance, I had the funky cotter pin that holds front of deck on, and a couple of shear pins (less than 10 bucks total) That’s the beauty of getting a nice GT, it costs you up front, but every year you drive it the cost per year goes down, and as long as you maintain it, it even holds its value. 5 years in and I couldn’t be happier with my X590 purchase- it’s been flawless

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
a few months ago i posted a "recommend a garden/lawn tractor" thread. after much feedback (you guys are awesome) i decided on the X590. now that ive taken the deck off, put on the plow attachment, put the deck back on, towed various attachments... i figured now would be a good time to post an update sharing so of my thoughts.

the good- this mower has preformed even better than i thought it would. only a couple times while pushing some gravel have i even needed to use the differential lock. im able to drive up and around the slopes on my yard without tearing it up or any kind of slippage. the mower deck really throws clipping a good ways. the EFI is awesome. last week we had a few days where the temp got down into the 20's (freak occurrence for where i live this time of year) and it has fired right up within a second or two. the EFI also makes the mower very easy for my wife to operate. the power steering is a feature i didnt really give much thought to but it really makes whipping around corners a breeze. it also seems extremely nimble and agile for something this size. it definitely turns much sharper than any other mower ive had. i question rather i could have just gone with a X390 but i think the differential lock will come more into play when i get to plowing the neighborhood and driveway. so far ive scrapped gravel, hauled said gravel in a 10P cart and leveled low spots in the driveway as well as leveled the inside of my lean-to. ive plugged my yard and my parents yard. pulled a tow-behind spreader on both yards. i could tell that the plug aerator was putting the mower to work, but nothing concerning. I've also used the 2" ball to pull a 10' trailer around. i'm still in the process of clearing out brush in the woods next to my house to get access to the rounds of hickory that have been there for a couple years. i intend to use the X590 to get down in there and tow out the rounds to a more flat area of the woods. ill then split to rounds and load them in the cart. between towing the rounds uphill, and then carrying the split wood uphill in a cart, i should have a better understanding of what the limitations are on this machine.

the bad- im really reaching trying to find anything "bad"... while not reflective of the machine the operating cost added up quickly for me. again, a lot of this is cause of my own. first, i purchased a bolt on 2" receiver/weight rack fro Ebay. with that i also got the 3 in 1 towing attachment from heavy hitch. that led to the purchase of tow straps and chains. as mentioned before i got a 10P cart. i also ended up buying my own tow behind plug aerator (trac-vac) instead of continuing to borrow my dad's. little purchases here and there that i didnt originally anticipate that have nickel and dimed my actual overall cost up. for example, spare transmission fluid, funnels, grease gun, grease, ect. while not being stocked on proper tools and supplies are no faults of the machine, it is certainly something to consider for a new owner. I feel like some sort of "check off" guide from deere listing what tools will be required or suggested for general upkeep would help out. another thing im not a fan off is having to remove the front blade hitch before installing the deck. i just feel like a little engineering could make it to where the deck and front hitch could both share the lifting mechanism at the same time.

the ugly- there isnt a lot to list here. the first is that when i was putting together the front blade assembly it seemed like there was a lot of pins involved. i know i will lose some. and i know i will definitely bend some out of whack. it will probably be wise on my part to just get a bag of them. lastly, im not a fan of the hydraulic lift lever/plastic flap. i didnt really notice it much until I put the front blade on, but i think an actual lever seems like a more natural option ( like one on the X700 series). i think its because while using the blade there is a lot more up/down action going on and something about using that plastic "flap" just seems weird.

well thats about it. all said and done ive been very pleased with my purchases. my wife has enjoyed riding it just as much as i have. our yard is well on its way after the plugging and over seeding. and look forward to using it through the winter collecting wood and plowing. if anything, it has certainly given me a reason to get outside, be more active, and have a piece of equipment to take pride in.
Well if You want to be able to use the Blade while deck is mounted You'll have to upgrade to a X700 series or Invest In a Johnny Bucket Jr with a Johnny Plow Johnny Bucket Jr. John Deere GTLX Then You can leave the deck on the X500 series

Even the Previous X500 series that had a Front Rocker shaft for Lifting the Blade & Blower. You still had to remove the deck.

I prefer the GX300 series when It come to the Hydraulic Lift Because You actually have a Hand Lever and it allows you to feather the height a Bit

But Glad You like your X590 so far:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I'd have to say having the 345 and then going to the X590 the pros,lots of power,tighter turning,much nicer cut.The cons would be changing attachments. It was easier to take the deck on and off on the 345 and the same with the tiller. It's a little more involved on the X590, but the power of the governor when tilling or high grass is much better than the 345 which I bogged down many times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In 2016 I got my X590 , snow plow, snow blower and 17P cart.

I have since added the weather enclosure 4 suitcase weights and most important of all , arm rests !!!

I love the machine but IMHO it has one drawback - lift height for the plow and blower.

My shed sits down grade of my driveway and as I use my winter implements , I scalp all of the grass off the lawn between the shed and driveway. The X758 that I clear the walks of my school with has at least triple the lift height of the blower. If I had gone the X700 series route my lawn would look better come spring time.

I'm happy with my X590 but I do want to add a 1025R with a loader and other attachments ( Tiller , Box blade , Grapple , Chipper , ETC... ) for more playtime outside.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I went from the X580 to the X758 this summer. I can tell you why and what I have noticed. I mow around 3 to 4 acres. I don’t know much about types of grass, always had “farm yards”. Just called it grass. I do know my grass is thick. My 580 mowed it, but sometimes the amount of grass overwhelmed the X580 deck. The tractor had the power, it was just the deck could not handle the volume of grass. I didn’t realize this til I mowed with the 60” HC deck, processed the grass much better. I can’t mow fast enough to stop up the X758. I wanted a diesel for longevity and reduced fuel needs. Another reason for the trade was servicing the mower deck easier. I have no neighbors. I work by myself. As I get older, I am trying to use my head more than my back. The drive over mower makes life easier. My last reason is for the three point hitch. I want to find a way to weed between my garden rows using the mower. My 2038 is too wide. Haven’t decided between a cultivator or smaller tiller yet. Overall, the X700’s are a step up. Ride is so smooth, very sturdy. But my 580 was a great tractor also. All about personal needs.

·
Premium Member
9,374 Posts
It seems like many if not most of us with John Deere tractors work up through the machine sizes as our needs change. Sounds like you have made a good choice for your needs right now. As long as you take care of the tractor, which it sounds like you are going to do, it will have a good resale value should you decide to move up to a larger machine.

Also, many of us end up with more than one tractor and that's not a bad thing. Its quite handy to have more than one machine when you are working on projects around the house.

Your investment into tools and equipment is something you will have for the rest of your life. It's funny how so many of us start with a tool box which you can carry with a handle and as the years go by and you add tools, the size of the tool box grows. Now, I have a monster sized tool box which is full and also another large tool box which is also quite full. Good tools are very handy and they make working on anything easier. I have never regretted money spent on tools as the right tools make doing the work safer, faster and you get a better result. I even put together a tool box for my wife to use (so she would stay out of my tool box as she is a drawer slammer and it displaces all of my well organized tools....:banghead::hide:..)

Sounds to me that you have selected the right tractor for your needs and you are acquiring the tools and items to properly care for it, which is great. Also, thank you for posting your opinions and views about your new tractor as it is very helpful to others to know the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly", even if the bad and ugly are very limited.......:good2:

I bet you will be either adding another tractor or moving up to a larger one in the future. It's part of a natural evolution where the more you use your machine, the more you find new projects and ways to use it.

Glad you are on the forum and participating in the discussions......:bigthumb:

Reactions: JDLTG

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
It seems like many if not most of us with John Deere tractors work up through the machine sizes as our needs change. Sounds like you have made a good choice for your needs right now. As long as you take care of the tractor, which it sounds like you are going to do, it will have a good resale value should you decide to move up to a larger machine.

Also, many of us end up with more than one tractor and that's not a bad thing. Its quite handy to have more than one machine when you are working on projects around the house.

Your investment into tools and equipment is something you will have for the rest of your life. It's funny how so many of us start with a tool box which you can carry with a handle and as the years go by and you add tools, the size of the tool box grows. Now, I have a monster sized tool box which is full and also another large tool box which is also quite full. Good tools are very handy and they make working on anything easier. I have never regretted money spent on tools as the right tools make doing the work safer, faster and you get a better result. I even put together a tool box for my wife to use (so she would stay out of my tool box as she is a drawer slammer and it displaces all of my well organized tools....:banghead::hide:..)

Sounds to me that you have selected the right tractor for your needs and you are acquiring the tools and items to properly care for it, which is great. Also, thank you for posting your opinions and views about your new tractor as it is very helpful to others to know the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly", even if the bad and ugly are very limited.......:good2:

I bet you will be either adding another tractor or moving up to a larger one in the future. It's part of a natural evolution where the more you use your machine, the more you find new projects and ways to use it.

Lots of truth here! Having the right tool for the job is a must. We used to have a Craftsman 42” rider that would take forever to mow our 2.5 acres of yard. You didn’t dare let it get too high or you’d be mowing every day trying to catch up. Now with the X380 and X570, both with 54” decks, my wife and I can mow in a little over an hour once a week.

I thought I would never need anything more than my 790/300 FEL. But needing more HP for the field work, I settled on a 4044R. It has so much more power than the 790 but is still surprisingly very maneuverable around the yard even though it’s a much bigger frame tractor.

Haha, I’m glad I’m not the only one who has a “drawer slammer”.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you! when i was researching various threads here as well as other sites i noticed a lot of potential buyers ghosted after they seemingly making their purchase... not updating what the ended up deciding on, how they like it, ect. I will add a couple of things i forgot to mention that i realized this past week while loading up brush from my clearing project, the X590 is very maneuverable. i imagine the X570 would be significantly more so. ive yet to start dragging the hickory rounds out yet as we got a bunch of rain. i will have to post up some pics of my clearing and wood salvaging when i get done... but as it now its looking like rain on my only day off in the next 10 days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Weight-Bracket-with-2-Receiver-John-Deere-X320-X360-X370-X380-X500/254379430572?hash=item3b3a3212ac:g:~JYAAOSwbYdapVuc
here is the link to the exact item i had bought. if you're like me, youll probably need a couple adjustable wrenches to attach the hardware in the existing towing hole as it requires a socket size over an inch. its nice and hefty and probably adds a good 30lbs to the rear by itself. as mentioned before, im a fan of it attaching to the entire back of the mower in three different spots to spread the stress out. hopefully ill avoid anything bending out of whack. it certainly isnt the cheapest option though.
Got mine and installed it. Just what I was looking for. Well made and very heavy duty. Pictures installed since there are none in the listing.

DSC03828.JPG DSC03832.JPG DSC03834.JPG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice, rich! while pricey, I think they are without a doubt the sturdiest and most secure hitch option for the x300 and x500's.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hypothetically speaking... would installing a johnny bucket jr void the warranty? its just an idea ive been kicking around since i can always just borrow my dads tractor if i need it. but im thinking more for jobs where driving around the tractor would be a bit over-kill, but also shoveling and using the dump cart might be too much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well it looks like were finally going to get a smidgen of snow. i dont care if its only an inch, im plowing it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts