Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I currently own a 2018 X590 with 48A deck and powerflow 2 bagger. This is my second X590 (2015) and previously owned an X540 (2102) both equipped the same (48C deck and powerflow). I use it only to mow the yard at the farm. The 48A deck does a better job of cutting grass than the 48C. My only complaint with the 48A is the method to remove the drive belt (3/8" ratchet needed). At the farm I have about two (2) acres to mow with many "obstacles" and the terrain is not very level. With a 54" deck I would end up scalping many areas and not being able to mow in some tight spots. It does seem to use slightly more fuel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm leaving soon to pick up a new to me 18-X590, first "Green Machine" for me.
Going to put in shop and go through everything, change lubricants, thinking about a brush guard, it sounds like the hoods are pretty expensive.
I also plan to purchase a bagger soon.
Nice forum here, lots of good info

·
Registered
468 Posts
Going to put in shop and go through everything, change lubricants, thinking about a brush guard, it sounds like the hoods are pretty expensive.
I have a brush guard installed on my X590. Not a bad investment just in case you "bump into something". There is a front bumper on the X590 but the guard will protect the front grille and hood. One removes a pin to tilt the guard so you can open the hood. Not sure where you live but check dealer price then watch eBay and Craigslist. Good luck with your new "toy".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i ended up not getting any accumulation aside from a little on the grass. i would be discouraged but ive gotten plenty of use out of my blade doing some driveway work and leveling out an area for the raised garden beds that have now been built. its proven very useful doing "dirt work".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
just thought i would post a little update here now that i have 30 hours on the meter... since getting my X590 ive completed numerous tasks. some related to having the mower some not. i mentioned before that more than anything, the X590 has given me incentive to get outdoors. the projects started adding up and getting completed in January and February. i did not realize at the time that with the future pandemic i was investing in my sanity!!! wanting to have a machine that could plow a garden turned into building raised beds, convertiving an old grape arbor into another raised bed, building a swing stand, building a grill table, buying a new grill. (this X590 has cost a fortune in residual costs!!!). all money well spent in hindsight. we currently have more veggies than we can eat.

it is not all peaches and rainbows. the lighting is subpar for a machine at this price. and im not just talking about buying replacement LED bulbd for the headlights. i think all JD machines with the ability to push a snow plow should have some sort of extra lighting options available to them. im been looking up various light bars and such and will probably upgrade once ive made up my mind, or possibly figure out some kind of fender light. i will also have to admit that ive been getting the johnny bucket jr itch, or possibly even considering the "little green monster" ... but since i have access to my dad's Kubota any time i need it, any "must have" tasks can be handled with.
20191209_142634.jpg 20200129_122631.jpg 20200302_131104.jpg 20200307_172644.jpg 20200405_142614.jpg 20200702_211838.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,112 Posts
just thought i would post a little update here now that i have 30 hours on the meter... since getting my X590 ive completed numerous tasks.

it is not all peaches and rainbows. the lighting is subpar for a machine at this price. and im not just talking about buying replacement LED bulbd for the headlights. i think all JD machines with the ability to push a snow plow should have some sort of extra lighting options available to them.
The headlights on pretty much all JD lawn and garden tractors are certainly more ornamental than they are functional.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
absolutely, but to not even have upgraded lighting options just seems odd to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having moved from a GT420 to a X590 has been a disappointing experience. The GT420 was a used machine when we got it, but it is a WORKHORSE, the X590 in comparison is more of a 1 trick pony. The X590 hydro system is a real maintenance pain in comparison. the GT420 has spin on oil and transmission filters the trans is very low maintenance as well, in fact the only reason I had to service it was the flexible tubes going to the sight gauge broke and leaked ATF and I figured while fixing it why not go ahead and service it too? The X590 needs a lot of maintenance by comparison. The X590 hydrostat is much more difficult to service, the fill plug is difficult to reach to fill. The filter (about the size of my thumb) is behind a plastic plug under the machine. Don't get me wrong, the X590 is a nice machine but seems like a step down from a machine that is 30 years older. since we have had the 420 {maybe 15+ years} it has gone through 1 deck gearbox, multiple idler springs, 1 idler pulley (bearing went out) and 1 deck belt. It now is awaiting its second PTO to return to service, the X590 on the other hand has a deck belt began to delaminate (partial season last year when we bought it and so far this year (8-1-2020) and recently a second bent mower blade. If we had never had the experience of the GT420 we might be happier with the X590 but that is not the case. BTW the mow in reverse button is beginning to malfunction. Nothing like having to re-engage the deck several time in succession when cutting grass when you KNOW you been holding the button down. Its much closer to the old Scotts (by John Deere) 2554, than the GT420. Enough bashing the X590, could the engineers done a better job? OH YEAH THEY COULD. Simple things like decent headlights? Easier servicing the hydraulic filter and refill? Not as maintenance intensive? Real working taillights? I mean come on, its not a 100 series lawnmower, get with the program! I will say this, FROM NOW ON I AM DEFINATELY GOING TO CHECK THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDUAL FOR SERVICE AND SERVICE INTERVALS BEFORE I BUY ANYTHING NEW AGAIN AS WELL AS WHERE AND HOW IT NEEDS TO BE DONE. Come on, John Deere has a rider that you can change the oil and filter in one fell swoop! You unscrew the old and screw in the new.. You don't even get your hands dirty, its all self contained, then they come up with this! I can tell that quality and convenience are not high priority.
Sorry, don't mean to bash but I assumed (yeah I know, a$$ out of u & me) that I bought something real good, not just something kind of better than the big box stuff. It's like everybody gets their parts from the same place they just paint it different colors and there you are, "it's a ____" fill in the blank! Husky, Toro, Poulan, John Deere, Husquvarna, Ariens, etc, etc, etc. You name it, interchangeable parts.......
One last thing to say, am I the only one who thinks the steering wheel is too damned close to the seat when getting on or off any John Deere garden tractor? Yeah I know some are adjustable but when the seat is all the way back it still seems too close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damaged my hood recently, best price I could find was a little over a grand ($!,000.00+) on Ebay for the complete hood assembly and you have to put it together, as people are fond of saying 'YMMV"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
you would have to go to the X700 series for a compatible comparison to the 420. even then, the service intervals won't be much different than what's recommended for the X590. I have yet to do my first hydro fluid change, I imagine that will happen in the fall for me. so maybe I'll be singing a different tune then.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts