Green Tractor Talk banner

X590 trade in value?

11K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Zebrafive 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, new to posting but have been reading lots of posts and have finally needed to ask a question. I recently moved to a larger property (3 acres) and have found that my x590 is having a little trouble keeping up mowing with the hills and especially in the winters with the snowblower and a long hilly driveway (I live in MN). So I am looking at trading it in towards a x738. If I would have known I was going to move I would have just bought the 738 to begin with but... So the dealer gave me some numbers and I wanted to run them by you guys to see what you thought. If it's out of line to ask about prices I apologize and please remove this post.
x738 10,431.02
54" deck 1570.72
47" snowblower and hook ups 3925.86
click n go brackets 143.33
mulch control 241.86
rear click n go weight bracket 187.21
about 16,500 total.
They're offering me 7300 trade in value in my 590 which includes machine with 60 hours on it, 54" deck with mulch control, powerflow, 7 bu bagger, and an almost new 47" snowblower (new because it was warranted, the original one kept snapping belts). To me that's not a terrible number considering I got a pretty good deal on it to begin with and know I'm going to take a hit on it anyway. The dealer seems to think I can get around 9000 selling it privately but I'm not too sure on that number, maybe he just is trying to nicely say he isn't interested in taking it in on trade? Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like fair trade in value and good advice from the dealer.

As noted from other people on the forum, the 47 in snow blower on the x7 isn’t much a upgrade compared to the 47in belt driver blower you already have. The belt driven version throws snow further, and easier to maintain. No chains to adjust, no chain oil to spray, quieter due to the gear box in oil bath. In many ways the belt driven version is cheaper but superior. I used the belt driven version for 4 years, then switched to the pto driven version on 1025r for 2 seasons. The only possible benefit is the heavier duty version allows you to use stronger shear bolts, you might not need to replace shear bolt as often.

My opinion, You are not gaining anything in this trade other than traction. But the x590 already have great traction. Your mowing time will be similar, since you are getting the same width deck, your actually lose some snow blowing performance if throwing distance is important to you.

but hey, it is your money, if it makes you happy the. do it. But I feel you might be disappointed after spending another 8k, not realizing much benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Seems like fair trade in value and good advice from the dealer.

As noted from other people on the forum, the 47 in snow blower on the x7 isn’t much a upgrade compared to the 47in belt driver blower you already have. The belt driven version throws snow further, and easier to maintain. No chains to adjust, no chain oil to spray, quieter due to the gear box in oil bath. In many ways the belt driven version is cheaper but superior. I used the belt driven version for 4 years, then switched to the pto driven version on 1025r for 2 seasons. The only possible benefit is the heavier duty version allows you to use stronger shear bolts, you might not need to replace shear bolt as often.

My opinion, You are not gaining anything in this trade other than traction. But the x590 already have great traction. Your mowing time will be similar, since you are getting the same width deck, your actually lose some snow blowing performance if throwing distance is important to you.

but hey, it is your money, if it makes you happy the. do it. But I feel you might be disappointed after spending another 8k, not realizing much benefit.

All things considered it sounds like you are getting a fair shake from the dealer. The AWD on the x738 is a pretty big step up from the x590. You will gain lots of extra traction and have a very stable machine but you aren't going to be gaining all that much in terms of engine power. Give the 1 series machines a close look before you get the x7. Don't get me wrong I love my x738 and its a great machine, but if you think the x590 is underpowered the x738 may not provide as big a step up as you are looking for.

Personally I would add the 3 point hitch on the x738. Once you have it you will find all kinds of ways to use it. Being able to lift and carry with the rear of the machine is just really handy. Not as handy as a front end loader but its better than a stick in the eye.

As for the chain drive on the snow blower JD may have gone to a gear case to drive the 47" and 54" blowers as discussed in this thread.

#4 ·
This is the same thing I ran into last month with my dealer here in the northeast. They don't want trades even though they'll tell you they do. My dealer eventually came right out and told me that they didn't want trades, and that was a question I asked when I bought the tractor last spring. The reply? You guessed it. "We'll be happy to help you upgrade with the trade if and when the time comes.

$7300 for your package? Sell it outright, pay off the bill if there is one, and start over. Too bad you waited though because the 0% financing is gone.

Reactions: JD4044M
#5 ·
$7300 for your package? Sell it outright, pay off the bill if there is one, and start over. Too bad you waited though because the 0% financing is gone.
How is it gone? It's still on the website. They seem to always have that offer. They've had it continuously for the last three years.

That does sound like a good trade in. You probably can get more if you sell it privately, so if that's worth the hassle, that would be a better bet.

The 4WD X7xx machines are a huge step up from an X590. I have an X590, and I had an X758 before (and will have one again this spring, I will be trading, same as you). The difference for snow is night and day.

#6 ·
Did you spend any time researching the 1 series? I would think that 16500.00 you got quoted would get you into a 1023 with loader, mower, and snowblower or pretty darn close. This would open up a whole new world of options to you with 3 point accessories. The general rule here is figure what you need and get one series bigger. Just a thought.

Welcome from MN

#7 ·
Does not seem out of bounds for a trade-in. This is just normal Dealer business, wholesale and retail its not black magic. Yes you can sell outright and likely make more, but that obviously has an effort which you need to consider and place a value to. I did not see you mention the sales tax benefit of the trade-in for this scenario and of course it depends by state. In many states you would avoid 6% sales tax (or whatever your state rate is) on the trade-in value. Again every state is different, however, if you are in a 6% state with a trade credit you would save roughly $450 if you buy new. Their offers are nothing but a good starting point to negotiate. All they can say is no.

#8 ·
Not many folks can come up with 9K for the x590, it is a great machine and worth every dollar but unless you want to be in the business of taking payments (not likely) the dealership is the real option. I will also second you take a look at the 1 series, it will already have a PTO, 3pt and be in the same price range. Take a hard look and think about future projects and you may find in the long term the larger machine was the better option. Good luck with whatever way you go, you can't lose on either.... now I just need your issue of being able to choose. :good2:

#9 ·
If you are going to do a private sale, March and April is the time to do it. Folks have their tax money back and this is the time of year people look for lawn and garden tractors. Your low hour machine would be a nice acquisition. There are folks out there that will pay cash for your tractor but you need to make it enough of a deal to undercut what a dealer is selling for new with a warranty and 0% financing. A couple of years ago my buddy had to sell his 1023 because he was moving out of state and he was able to get it sold in 2-3 weeks for somewhere around 11-12k cash. So folks are out there.

I would consider a 1 series if you are looking for a more capable machine. The X7 series is great but as others have said you may not notice the upgrade unless you get the AWD version. Just be advised the 1 series is more tractor than mower so if mowing is a priority then maybe the X7 is the better deal. I owned a 2210 for just one acre so I think you are in the ball park with 3 acres to use a 1 series. The fastest way to mow though is with a ZTR.

#10 · (Edited)
Trade in price is about right, and you might get lucky and sell right away, but has others have noted with sales tax advantage you’d have to sell X590 for close to 8 grand.

Not sure how bad your hills are, but after tax you are looking at close to 10 grand hit for basically increase in traction. As others have noted same size Mowing deck, same size snow blower, same size engine. If you are going to take the hit, you might think long and hard about a one series. The X738 is a great machine and the X7xx series are definitely the “Cadillac’s” of lawn mowers. But other than traction you aren’t getting much and maybe even less from a performance POV on Mowing and Snow blowing vis a vie the X590 . After this deal you don’t want to be back in same position a year from now trading in the X738 for a 1 or 2 series tractor or if you want to stay in 700 series, consider stepping up to X758, with 54 inch blower and 60 inch deck

#11 ·
I might be crazy, but $7300 for the trade in seems low. For a dealer trade, maybe not so much, but I think you could get more than that just selling it outright. If you need the trade in to pay off the loan on it then I get it, but I think it's worth more than that.

#12 ·
He might be able to get 9K selling it himself- tough to get any more than that, since a person could buy the same set up new with full 4 year warranty for approx. 11K. OP doesn’t say how old tractor is or how much warranty is left. Assuming it’s a year old, anything over a year and 9K would be a stretch. The more warranty left easier to sell, less warranty drops the price considerably.

Now you have to sell tractor yourself, you might get lucky and sell in a week or two, or he could sit on the tractor for a year- you never know. All we know is the more expensive the tractor and closer you are to the price of buying a new machine with full warranty the more difficult it is to sell.

On top of the 7300 you have the sales tax advantage- 7300 comes off purchase price for sale tax purposes, In a state like NY with 8% sales tax that’s a saving 584 bucks bringing total saving on trade close to 8K- is it worth the gamble and hassle for 1,000 dollars tops—perhaps. But the dealer needs to make money on trade, that’s why most of us here say that’s a fair trade

I went thru a similar situation with my dealer when I bought my X590, I test drove the 590. X540 ( I bought 590 first year they came out so dealer still had new 540’s) and a X530 he had there on consignment – it was a year and half old, and had 70 hours on it, seller wanted 5200 bucks ( new 530 was 6k) I actually offered seller 4200 bucks and seller refused. The 530 ended up sitting on dealer lot another year and ended up selling for 4K

#13 ·
Trade value?

The dealer trade value appears appropriate to me. As discussed an out right sale is a gamble. I think I would look more at the trade and go into a 1025r. Many advantages listed by others already. I say the 1025r as you can easily remove the loader to mow with. (I am assuming you would buy a loader as I wouldn't be without one.) I have an X590 with snowblower and am fairly impressed with it. It does a good job and the only way to improve that is to get into a larger machine. My opinion here. Also in MN, the land of extremes.

Kurtee

Reactions: goat704!
#14 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody for the replies, sorry I haven't gotten back sooner but it's the busy season at work and I'm putting in as much OT as I can stomach to help pay for things. From what I've read so far is that there are mixed opinions regarding the step up in snowblower performance between the x5 and x7 series? I am was actually hoping that the x7 would be a little beefier than what I've got now. My location gets some pretty bad drifting and it's not uncommon for a 3-5" of snow to develop into 2-3 foot drifts. One of the issues I have had is the belt drive system, I think I mentioned that my first blower snapped the belt 3 times before the dealer actually warranted out the whole thing due to what they called a "misaligned weld that caused undue friction. Well my new one now started slipping the second time I used it, no mistaking the smell of burning belt. And it would intermittently drop power, only throwing the snow 3-5 feet before catching up and tossing it a normal 15-20 feet. And I'm not abusing it by any means, going slow, only biting off 30% at a time. It makes me miss my 20 year old Simplicity walk behind, that thing was a tank. I don't necessarily need to toss the snow 40 feet away, just far enough to get it over the piles at the sides of the driveway. Would the 758 perform better with the snowblower than a 738? What's a realistic price difference between the two machines? The dealer also mentioned that he priced it out with a regular deck hook up and not the quicker auto connect as he said that would have to be removed every time I switched from the deck to the snowblower, is that true? I would prefer the auto connect deck but not at the expense of messing around at the season change. And as far as stepping up to a 1 series, there's really no need for that as I don't need a loader, my brother in law lives down the road and has a bobcat that I can borrow whenever needed. Another question I had is that some of my shallower hills I can only traverse sideways due to a fence that rides along the top of the hill, will a 7 series tip easier than 5 series? Right now the 590 does pretty good with those, I don't have to hang off the side to keep upright and I'm hoping the 7's would have the same low center of gravity. It sounds like the trade in offered by the dealer isn't terrible, especially with the tax difference savings. I still need to check with a few other dealers in the area to see if they have better numbers. My time might be better spent picking up some more shifts at work for guaranteed money than messing around setting up times for people to see it, having them not show etc... I've gone down that road before and sometimes it's not worth the hassle to save a couple hundred bucks. Thanks again for the advice and sorry for so many questions.

#15 ·
The intermittent engine rom drop is normal if your snow blower is full of heavy wet snow. Keep full throttle, and take smaller bite, that will help. This momentarily rpm drop happens on my diesel 1025r with the 47 blower too occasionally. i think with x738, you will still have the problem. It might happen less often due to the higher torque. I am not sure through.

Regarding the belt slipping problem, i wonder if there is something still not setup right. I never had the problem. it will break shear pin before belt slip. When you turn on pto, make sure it is just above 50% power. Then Turn up power to max after the blower is on for a few seconds. I remember if i turn on pto at 100% power, the high engine rpm gives the electric clutch and belt quite a shock, it may slip a little for the first few seconds until the blower catches up in speed. You might get the burning smell from that. The manual has a paragraph about this. But yes, the shaft driven blower does not have belt slippage. But it has other problems. You lose some throwing distance, and in my experience, you also have to force feed the blower to form a flow. Which in my experience, translates to worse performance when the snow is only 2-3 inches.

How often do u clear 2-3 inches of nuisance snow? Not sure if it is a factor for you.

Yes, the auto connect mechanism is in the way of the mid pto, has to be removed every time if you swap out the deck for the blower.

based on my experience, i upgraded to the 1025r hoping that shaft driver blower is superior, but it is certainly not. I was hoping it can handle the end of driveway packed snow better. But they turned out about equal in that regard, not much improvement. Since then i also acquired a real blade, i am finding that the 1025r in low gear can push a small mountain of packed wet snow. So that is what i use for end of driveway pile. It also handles the nuisance snow better than the blower. So the rear blade and blower combo works good for me.

If you do upgrade to x7 series, consider getting a front blade too. The upgrade does give you the ability of switching between blade and blower, without too much effort. That is the biggest benefit in my view. Blade is cheap too. Maybe just like my situation, the improved traction makes it possible to use blade more often, you can switch to blower when it is late in the season when you run out room to place the snow.

#17 ·
As for the autoconnect I believe the only part that has to come off is the shaft. That takes about 20 seconds. The front autoconnect hub locks up and out of the way when using a front mount blower it doesn't have to be removed.

I have to say the ease of taking the drive over autoconnect mower deck on and off with the x738 is one of the best things.

The AWD x700s are extremely stable machines the AWD system adds about 150 lbs to the machine and it's all down low on the axels.

#18 ·
Sorry to hear you still having problems with new blower- that still isn’t right, I live in upstate ny and have used my blower on two feet plus storms, 4 foot height ice banks left at end of driveway by country plow etc and its been flawless for four years. As for belt driven blower, the Auger turns faster and the impeller much faster on belt driven blower vs the shaft driven blower- but if you are going thru belts that increased speed isn’t doing you any good.

The reason why I was recommending the X758 is the HP and torque available on the x738 while more torque than 590 , it’s not a big difference, the X758 being diesel has massive amounts of torque approaching twice that of a 590. Not to say you can’t run the 54 inch blower and 60 inch deck on the 738- you obviously can, just that the 758 does it much better with its increased torque. You will get a ton of 738 users say they don’t have performance issues with their 738, but a simple comparison of engine and available torque shows the 758 and its diesel engine with a massive torque advantage over its gas counterpart. You also get resale ( trade in etc) with its increased longevity the diesel tractor holds its value better than its gas counterpart

If you are looking for performance increase for blowing and mowing- other than traction you won’t see a massive jump with the 738,( although a working blower would help ;) with the 758 you would see big difference. It can easily handle the 60 inch deck and 54 inch blower without bogging down. It would obviously be more money, but if you are going to take the hit, might as well get a machine that will give you a massive performance boost!!Feel the pain once and get it right!!

#19 ·
I just traded from a X590 to a X758 last year, and got a similar deal, so your dealer's numbers seem appropriate for what you are doing. Don't listen to those guys telling you to gt a 1 series, unless you forsee loader work or something similar in your future. For mowing and blowing the X7 series would be superior in my opinion. Speaking from experience, the X7 gives you much more over the X5 than "just traction"...

Also, consider a 54 inch blower instead if the 47, unless you have a narrow area that a 54 won't fit into. As far as the mulch control, I considered that too, but ended up getting the full time mulch kit, and I'm glad I did. It mulches better than anything I have ever had, so I don't really have a reason to ever take it off. The mulch control seemed too much like a halfway solution to me.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

#20 ·
There is absolutely a step up in performance from an x5 tractor to an x7 tractor. The x7's are faster, handle the blower better, and in my opinion move more snow faster than an x5 tractor. I owned an x530 for two years and sold it for an x758. The blowers are heaver, have more up and down movement in the hydraulics while in float, have the ability to put down pressure on the blower, and are in general more robust. I feel my 47 quick hitch blower moves more snow than my 47 on the 530 ever did.

For a mowing and snowblowing tractor the X7's are superior to a 1025. They are lighter, the AWD versions have seamless 4WD, they turn tighter, and are easier to operate than a 1025. The carrier bearing setup on a 1025 is a known weakness in comparison to the through axle oil bath setup on the AWD x7's. That's not to say a 1025 isn't a good machine, its just more of a generalist vs a specialist machine. If you want to add a cab or need a loader the 1025 is a better machine, without those things the x7 is/are better.

I would spend the money on the x758 over the x738. They use significantly less fuel than the gas version does and they have more torque than the x738 has.

#22 ·
I have to say as someone who owns a 1 series, I have to agree with what you posted. The 1 series can do a lot more than the x758 in terms of tasks and implements, but I feel the 1 series is a very mediocre lawn mower. I would also say the nicer the lawn you have, the less you would want to be mowing it with the 1 series because of the extra weight of the machine, it's wheel base and frankly, I am just not impressed with how the 1 series cuts grass. If one has an average lawn, they probably won't notice the difference. If someone has a well manicured lawn, then the 1 series won't provide the cut results other machines can and do.

My neighbor bought a new x738. I have the 455 with the Yanmar, which is the early version of the x750 (2wd). I had told my neighbor he should spend the extra money and get the x758. He didn't think it would matter. One day when we were both out blowing snow and our private roads had not been plowed, he suggested we go side by side in the road and provide a direct comparison of the two machines. Keep in mind that his had maybe 150 hours on it and mine had probably 2,500 hours on the engine.

We started next to one another in snow about as deep as the front of the blower. By time we had gone 150 feet, I was at least 50 feet ahead of him. He would have to stop and allow his engine to "catch up" to the load caused by the blower and the Yanmar kept powering right through it. By time I reached the end of the 300 foot mark, he was just getting to the 200 foot mark. In fact, I was able to turn around and come back and complete about 450 feet of snow blowing when he completed the first 300 feet.

It seemed like the longer the contest went, the less ground he was making in comparison. It wasn't the diesel was just stronger, it remained stronger and didn't seem to reach a point where it ever had to have me stop the machine to allow the Yanmar to catch up where the longer it went on, the more often the x738 seemed to need to stop to allow the engine to catch up. By the way, both machines have the same front quick hitch and the 47" shaft driven blowers.

That doesn't mean the x738 is not good at blowing snow, it just means the Yanmar Diesel is more suited for handling the continuing load on the engine and doesn't have to "catch up".

However, there are conditions where you can put more through the x758 blower than it can handle. Especially when the snow is wet and heavy. Given the choice, I would order the diesel version EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's simply a superior machine for tasks which require a heavy load on the engine such as blowing snow or mowing heavy, wet grass.

I do feel the issue with the carrier bearings on the 1 series front PTO shaft carrier assembly can be remedied by purchasing high quality sealed bearings and replacing those which come in the assembly from Deere. I do agree the way the 1 series carries the entire front hitch much lower is very annoying and something Deere needs to deal with by designing and implementing a front 3 point hitch assembly for the 1 and 2520 series machines.

#21 ·
I recently moved to a larger property (3 acres) and have found that my x590 is having a little trouble keeping up mowing with the hills and especially in the winters with the snowblower and a long hilly driveway (I live in MN).
From what I've read so far is that there are mixed opinions regarding the step up in snowblower performance between the x5 and x7 series? I am was actually hoping that the x7 would be a little beefier than what I've got now. My location gets some pretty bad drifting and it's not uncommon for a 3-5" of snow to develop into 2-3 foot drifts.

One of the issues I have had is the belt drive system, I think I mentioned that my first blower snapped the belt 3 times before the dealer actually warranted out the whole thing due to what they called a "misaligned weld that caused undue friction. Well my new one now started slipping the second time I used it, no mistaking the smell of burning belt. And it would intermittently drop power, only throwing the snow 3-5 feet before catching up and tossing it a normal 15-20 feet.

And I'm not abusing it by any means, going slow, only biting off 30% at a time.

Another question I had is that some of my shallower hills I can only traverse sideways due to a fence that rides along the top of the hill, will a 7 series tip easier than 5 series? Right now the 590 does pretty good with those, I don't have to hang off the side to keep upright and I'm hoping the 7's would have the same low center of gravity.

Thanks again for the advice and sorry for so many questions.

I am trying to get to the core of your problems, so I edited out anything other than a specific problem or question about the differences.

The x738 is a good machine, but if you are going to spend the money, spend a little more and get the diesel engine in the x758. The power and torque difference to handle the snow blowing duties is noticable. Not to mention the x758 Yanmar will burn about 1/3rd less fuel than the x738.

The x7xx machine is a dramatic increase over the x5xx. The x7xx has long been the gold standard in Lawn and Garden Tractors. It's power, design, weight and capabilities make it an excellent machine. Clearly, the best in it's class. I own the 455 which is a predecessor to the x758, both diesel powered with the Yanmar. The diesel is worth the upgrade in price. It makes a great machine, OUTSTANDING.

The x5xx is a good machine for smaller lawns and average tasks. Smaller lawns being probably 1.5 acres and under. Some mow 5 acres with one where others are unhappy mowing 1/2 acre so to each their own.

Reading your posts, I am not sure other than the snow duties and the belt drive blower difficulties and your comment about "little trouble keeping up mowing the hills" I am not sure what you are looking to gain, SPECIFICALLY.

Will the X738 or x758 be more stable on the hills than your current tractor? It's a heavier machine and the center of gravity is similar, so it should be a little better. If you have hills where you might need to sit on the fender well to provide the machine balance, that concerns me. One wrong move and you can have a major issue. Tractor rollover accidents are bad, if you aren't killed, you might be paralyzed and frankly, if the hills are that steep, I would be mowing them in a different direction or with a zero turn mower or paying someone else to mow them.

Personally, I am NOT a fan of belt drive snow blowers when compared to a properly set up shaft driven blower. I have used a 47" shaft driven blower for years and had very few issues. I have replaced the chain once or twice and I have broken shear pins and even bent the impeller auger blades and had to straighten those, but I also have used my snow blower for probably 700 to 900 hours of use, so the problems relative to the time used are minuscule. Yes, you have to grease them and keep the chain lubricated, but its no big deal. Screwing with ONE belt is more time than I have spent on repairs (other than bending my impeller auger blades and I have no idea how I did that).

Bottom line is for the money this change is costing you, I am not sure exactly if your concerns are being fully addressed.

• Is the x7xx heavier? Yes.
  • Should it mow well on the side hills? Depends upon the turf conditions, the hill, the operator and a bunch of other stuff. I can't imagine the x7xx would be any LESS stable........
  • Will it handle the snow better? I know the x758 will. The x738 isn't much of a change in engine / PTO torque compared to the x5xx.
  • Will a shaft driven blower handle the snow better than a belt driven blower? It should. There is less chance for parasitic loss with belts slipping, etc.
  • Wet, heavy snow, like that at the end of the driveway where the road snow is thrown is always tough to deal with. It's already been compacted and that makes it harder to blow through any blower.
  • Personally, I own both a plow blade and the blower. There are times when one is better than the other and with the x7xx front quick hitch, the switching between the two is very easy. It really is best to have both to give you the most options. Plus you always have a back up if you have a problem with the blower, etc

As far as trading verses selling outright, no question the trade is going to take a hunk out of you. But dealing with idiots is also time consuming and frustrating and in the meantime, if you have a loan, you are going to have two payments. Plus some might not want to buy your entire equipment and you will end up piece mealing the entire matter.

I have to be honest, I am so sick of dealing with idiots and lazy people who don't show up, I wouldn't want to sell it myself.

I am not sure exactly what you feel you need to upgrade and what you are seeking to gain.

As far as considering the 1 series, as someone who owns one, I can say I wouldn't bother unless you want the FEL portion or the 3 point hitch. If your goal is to simply mow grass and blow snow, I would stay with the x758...........

I know more people who have traded from x5xx to x7xx and most were very happy in the end. I also know some who went from the x5xx to the 1 series and they were happy is getting the fEL and 3 point hitch was their goal.

The 1 series is a mediocre mower in my opinion. I didn't even bother to buy the MMM for my 1 series and I bought a commercial zero turn instead. I couldn't be happier. But the zero turn won't handle snow so I use my 1 series for that.

I would hate to see you lose $7,000 on a trade deal and not be happy. I would ask the dealer if they have an x7xx you could mow with before you buy one. Then you will know how it mows. If you are happy with how the x738 mows, you will be ecstatic how the x758 mows.

The final word about snow removal. Heavy wet snow is tough to deal with. It plows heavy, its tough to blow, its hard on parts. Will an x7xx blow snow better than the x5xx you have? I have NO DOUBT. Will it solve all the challenges of blowing wet heavy snow, I know it WON'T because wet heavy snow is just tough to deal with.

If I were in your position, I would start out mowing again this season with the x5xx you have. If you are still having trouble mowing the hills, then consider switching. If it goes better than you remember, maybe just keep what you have. I just hate to see people trading machines at such low hours. Its always a sure way to take it in the shorts financially............

#23 ·
The x738 does have one very big advantage over the X758 when it comes to snow removal.

No matter how cold it gets, it will run.

With the x758, you have to play the Diesel Gelling and Filter Plugging Game.

This is not a good game. It is not fun to play. I hate this game.

#25 ·
While correct, I have not found the gelling to be an issue. My tractor is stored in an unheated garage so its by no means babied. I run #1 off road in the winter and treat it with power service (white bottle). I do use the plug in coolant heater for 15-20 minutes before starting and it pops off without issue. My tractor is used commercially, to the tune of 125 hours in the past two winters.

The x758 has an advantage over the 1025 here because there is only one filter, and its placed above and slightly in front of the motor. As long as the tractor is running it wont gel. The 1025 has two and I can easily see how the one under the seat pan could be an issue.

#24 ·
Double post due to database error...mods please delete.

#27 ·
One thing I will add; the diesel engine holds it's value. I buy used and when I was looking for a used Lawn & Garden tractor, I budgeted $600 extra for a diesel. I could not find one at that price point. They were $1200-$1500 more compared to same hour gas model.

#28 ·
I wouldn't say the used diesels "holding extra value". That is 1000-1500 dollar price difference is roughly the cost difference between buying gas and diesel on a new tractor. The x758 is roughly 2k more than the x738 and that is simply just the cost of the engine the rest of the tractor is exactly the same. It would make sense that the used market would reflect that upfront cost.

Reactions: so.fulton
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.