Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. This is an incredible forum with a ton of useful information!

I'm not really ''into'' tractors, but I have a couple and my parents have couple. They are a part of life when living in the country, so I've come to know how to fix most anything that goes wrong and have a fairly good idea what separates the lawn tractors from the heavier tractors.

I'm want to replace my parents Cub Cadet 1864 and Cub Cadet 3225 with a new X590. They are currently using my old 325, which they like and handles their property well.

They have about 4 acres with about 1.25 acres that's mow-able the rest is woods. They have about 500 ft of driveway to snow plow all gravel some flat, some on a slope.

A big mowing deck is really not a concern, but the hills, snow and big leaf clean ups are.

My question: is the X590 a reasonable replacement for a 325 or a Cub Cadet 1864?

I have my opinions, the dealer, who is really nice, is of the bigger is better mentality and wants me to buy a X700 series tractor.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm sure I will get proven wrong on something I say but I'm going to say the dealer pushing you to the x700's isn't to far off base.

That Cubs you have are probably at least as strong as the 590 if not a bit stronger in some ways. The 590 is a great machine that is very capable and will probably suit your needs just fine. The 590 weighs a lot less than your 1864, and still a bit less than the 3225, so you may find yourself needing to add more ballast for snow clearing duties. The sunstrand transmission in the 1864 I'm guessing outclasses the k72 in the 590.

The Cubs and the 590 are both garden tractors but I'm sure a lot of old tractor folks around here would rather have your Cubs than a new 590 for heavy duty work. The 590 is close in power to the old garden tractors but it may leave you wanting more compared to your Cubs. The x700's won't leaving you wondering why you replaced your Cub for something new and shiny. Unfortunately there is a pretty steep price premium to replace the old with the new.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
In my opinion the X590 is a proven unit. As a tech I see very little issues. Taking care of a long driveway with snow plowing duties, well I would think bigger is better.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I would say the 590 is your bare minimum.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've owned Cubs in the past, but rest assured I wouldn't own one of todays Cubs. I now own an X580, and except for the fuel injection, tilt steering wheel and seat, the 580 and 590 are identical. I think the 590 or 580 is more than an equal to the 1584. and actually better in many ways when compared by someone who has owned and/or used both machines. The Cub Sunstrand transmission is capable, but no better than and maybe not as capable as the K72. I can state for a fact the K72 has no issues with hills, pulling very heavy (1500lb) loads, or handling ground breaking attachments of any type. The Cub is certainly not built better than a 580/590, and the Kawasaki engine FI or not, is a premium and tested engine. I give the edge to the 580/590 in almost all categories, and give JD the lead by a long shot on backing up their products.

Would I buy a 700 series machine? I might for 4 acres of land, but again, that depends on the need. When I bought my 580 at the beginning of the summer my wife asked me why I didn't go for the X700 series. My answer was simple. I didn't need a 700 series machine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
When I was buying and choosing between the x590 and a x730 back in July of this year the final thing that sold my on the x738 I have now was the 0% financing for 60 months Deere was offering on the x700's. I wasn't planning on buying either tractor in cash so the financing options were an important part of the deal for me. At the end of the day with 60moths @ 0% on the x700 and 48 months @ 4.99% on the x590 the monthly payment for each tractor was basically the same. So at the time the financing options really favored the x700.

The reason I have a x738 and not a x730 is because the dealer made me a killer deal on the x738 he had on hand at the dealership. I can't thank the dealer enough for getting me into an AWD machine because is it unstoppable and climbs up anything I can throw at it without any chains or weights.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. This is an incredible forum with a ton of useful information!

I'm not really ''into'' tractors, but I have a couple and my parents have couple. They are a part of life when living in the country, so I've come to know how to fix most anything that goes wrong and have a fairly good idea what separates the lawn tractors from the heavier tractors.

I'm want to replace my parents Cub Cadet 1864 and Cub Cadet 3225 with a new X590. They are currently using my old 325, which they like and handles their property well.

They have about 4 acres with about 1.25 acres that's mow-able the rest is woods. They have about 500 ft of driveway to snow plow all gravel some flat, some on a slope.

A big mowing deck is really not a concern, but the hills, snow and big leaf clean ups are.

My question: is the X590 a reasonable replacement for a 325 or a Cub Cadet 1864?

I have my opinions, the dealer, who is really nice, is of the bigger is better mentality and wants me to buy a X700 series tractor.

Any thoughts?
Looking to 1864 and Cub Cadet 3225

The 1864 was designed to compete with the JD 318

The Cub Cadet 3000 was designed to compete against the JD 425 thru 455 Thought MTD did try to Have it compete against the X465 Thru X749 which it's Lack of Innovation Led to very Poor sales for MTD after the 2005 season especially one Simplicity Came out with the legacy XL series

Most think the 325 thru 355 was the replacement series for the Old 318 thru 332 But that was Not the Case The 325 thru The Current X590 Can actually trace it Linage to the 200 series redesign for the 1988 Year The Replacement for the 318 thru 332 & 420/430 was the 425 thru 455.

Not that it Looks Like they Plan on using it for More than Mowing

But The 1864 & the Cub Cadet 3225 Both were Capable of Utilizing a Cat 0 3point Hitch While the 1864 utilized Belt driven attachments. The 3225 was Capable Of Using Shaft driven attachments and To Utilize Hydraulic angle for Front Blade or Blower

So a Deere series today That would be More equivalent to a Cub Cadet 3225 would Be a X700 Signature series Based on size, Type of attachments that Can be utilized(shaft driven & Hydraulic angle) and Optional 3point Hitch.

If a 3225 Handles the Property Now a 2WD X730 would Probably be perfect for them.

Yes the X590 Can do Many of the same Jobs Mowing Tilling and snow removal. With the front Blade for example The X590 utilizes a Manual angle Kit. It will angle the Blade But Most of the time You Have to Lift the Blade Up to angle the Blade.

What would be Nice for a Older Person is to Be able to Have a Blade with Hydraulic angle That You Can angle on the Ground very easily as Your Moving snow.

As You Can see By My signature Line I Have Both a GX335 which is Just a slightly newer version of the 335 and I Have a X748 Older version of a X758.

Last year My snow removal set Up was this 1025R with 47inch Blower, X748 with 45 Loader and GX335 with 48inch Blade with Manual angle. I utilized the GX335 Mostly for Narrow area's That the 1025R would Not Have been a good Idea.

This Years set Up with be the 2025R with Loader Mounted Blade, X748 with 47inch Blower May or May Not Run the GX335 with a Blade this year. GX335 may get a Nap

The X590 would Be a step down In Capability going from a 3225 or a 1864 to a X590

There is another reason I Bought a used 2004 GX335 instead of a Used X530 or X540 The Hydraulic Lift Control. Can't stand the X500 series Hydraulic Lift control compared to the 325 thru GX355 The Hydraulic lift control on the 325 thru GX355 does allow You to Make Better height adjustment for attachments with out Having to Utilize the On Board depth stop which You would Have to do with the X500 series.

So that is why if Your a Looking for a replacement for a 1864 or a 3225 the X700 series is more a equivalent to them and even a step up from them in several ways :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking to 1864 and Cub Cadet 3225

The 1864 was designed to compete with the JD 318

The Cub Cadet 3000 was designed to compete against the JD 425 thru 455 Thought MTD did try to Have it compete against the X465 Thru X749 which it's Lack of Innovation Led to very Poor sales for MTD after the 2005 season especially one Simplicity Came out with the legacy XL series

Most think the 325 thru 355 was the replacement series for the Old 318 thru 332 But that was Not the Case The 325 thru The Current X590 Can actually trace it Linage to the 200 series redesign for the 1988 Year The Replacement for the 318 thru 332 & 420/430 was the 425 thru 455.

Not that it Looks Like they Plan on using it for More than Mowing

But The 1864 & the Cub Cadet 3225 Both were Capable of Utilizing a Cat 0 3point Hitch While the 1864 utilized Belt driven attachments. The 3225 was Capable Of Using Shaft driven attachments and To Utilize Hydraulic angle for Front Blade or Blower

So a Deere series today That would be More equivalent to a Cub Cadet 3225 would Be a X700 Signature series Based on size, Type of attachments that Can be utilized(shaft driven & Hydraulic angle) and Optional 3point Hitch.

If a 3225 Handles the Property Now a 2WD X730 would Probably be perfect for them.

Yes the X590 Can do Many of the same Jobs Mowing Tilling and snow removal. With the front Blade for example The X590 utilizes a Manual angle Kit. It will angle the Blade But Most of the time You Have to Lift the Blade Up to angle the Blade.

What would be Nice for a Older Person is to Be able to Have a Blade with Hydraulic angle That You Can angle on the Ground very easily as Your Moving snow.

As You Can see By My signature Line I Have Both a GX335 which is Just a slightly newer version of the 335 and I Have a X748 Older version of a X758.

Last year My snow removal set Up was this 1025R with 47inch Blower, X748 with 45 Loader and GX335 with 48inch Blade with Manual angle. I utilized the GX335 Mostly for Narrow area's That the 1025R would Not Have been a good Idea.

This Years set Up with be the 2025R with Loader Mounted Blade, X748 with 47inch Blower May or May Not Run the GX335 with a Blade this year. GX335 may get a Nap

The X590 would Be a step down In Capability going from a 3225 or a 1864 to a X590

There is another reason I Bought a used 2004 GX335 instead of a Used X530 or X540 The Hydraulic Lift Control. Can't stand the X500 series Hydraulic Lift control compared to the 325 thru GX355 The Hydraulic lift control on the 325 thru GX355 does allow You to Make Better height adjustment for attachments with out Having to Utilize the On Board depth stop which You would Have to do with the X500 series.

So that is why if Your a Looking for a replacement for a 1864 or a 3225 the X700 series is more a equivalent to them and even a step up from them in several ways :bigthumb:

Sergeant thanks for the history lesson! Really interesting.

I agree, the 1864 is a good comparison to the 318. It's a heavy tractor. They like the 1864 and it's been fairly reliable until recently. It has low hours, less than 300 I think, but age is catching up with it. Every time I turn around it's some little thing that puts it out of commission. Right now it has a cracked steel hydraulic line for the deck lift control. Of course it's no longer available, so I'm having a line made for it....... I bought the 1864 tractor for them a few years ago to replace a Cub 1440 that had a rusted out deck and a worn out engine. That tractor lasted them almost 20 years.

The 3225 is also a tank, but not nearly as well built as the 1864. It's has NEVER been a good tractor. My dad bought that tractor with about 200 hours on it about 15 years ago. Blown head gaskets, mower deck problems, leaking transmission, front axle problems, charging system problems. In 10 years they've put about 200 hours on it. I put another 100 hours on it mowing my yard before I got my 325. Long story short, it sucks and has been the dedicated plow tractor for about 6 years. And it sucks as a plow tractor IMO.

My 325 has been the best thing that's ever happened to me tractor wise. Bought it used with 600 hours on it 6 years ago. It now has 1100 hours on it. I replaced all the belts and idlers when i got it, a battery, a new hood and trans fluid/filters. Nothing since then.

We've always had cub cadet tractors, but my experience with the 325 has me sold on green tractors.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Sergeant thanks for the history lesson! Really interesting.

I agree, the 1864 is a good comparison to the 318. It's a heavy tractor. They like the 1864 and it's been fairly reliable until recently. It has low hours, less than 300 I think, but age is catching up with it. Every time I turn around it's some little thing that puts it out of commission. Right now it has a cracked steel hydraulic line for the deck lift control. Of course it's no longer available, so I'm having a line made for it....... I bought the 1864 tractor for them a few years ago to replace a Cub 1440 that had a rusted out deck and a worn out engine. That tractor lasted them almost 20 years.

The 3225 is also a tank, but not nearly as well built as the 1864. It's has NEVER been a good tractor. My dad bought that tractor with about 200 hours on it about 15 years ago. Blown head gaskets, mower deck problems, leaking transmission, front axle problems, charging system problems. In 10 years they've put about 200 hours on it. I put another 100 hours on it mowing my yard before I got my 325. Long story short, it sucks and has been the dedicated plow tractor for about 6 years. And it sucks as a plow tractor IMO.

My 325 has been the best thing that's ever happened to me tractor wise. Bought it used with 600 hours on it 6 years ago. It now has 1100 hours on it. I replaced all the belts and idlers when i got it, a battery, a new hood and trans fluid/filters. Nothing since then.

We've always had cub cadet tractors, but my experience with the 325 has me sold on green tractors.
Only reason I have Modern Cub Cadet XT3 GSX is Because of the wife. She Grew Up a Massey-Ferguson Girl and Hate's the sight of a Green Tractor. Her Late Grandfather was One of the Largest Massey-Ferguson Dealers In Canada. She was even a Tractor Mechanic Before we met In her Grandfathers dealerships. So Far the the Modern Cub Had done well it replace Her 2002 Cub Cadet 2206. If she Uses the Deere's she will mistreat them On Previous Deere's I owned went thru a few Hood's So when I retired from the Army I Bought her the Cub 2206 I even offed to Buy a Simplicity Made Massey Garden tractor at the time. She treats the Cub's Like there our children But a Deere in her Hands will meet a unhappy demise. Most of My Cub Cadets are IH Made. Deere Garden tractors to me are the Best You Can get On the Market with Simplicity Coming In second and Cub In 3rd. and Really there the Only 3 Garden tractor Manufacturers Left In the States. If Cub was still IH Made. I Might Have a Problem Between Deere & Cub. But I am from a Family of Deere Owners almost all the relatives that were Farmers Used Deere Only 1 Great Uncle swore By Allis-Chalmers & Minneapolis-Moline.

The X700 series should meet Your Parents Needs the Best :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, thanks for all the replies ! Got some great feedback and some great information.

I went and looked at a X710 and X730 today.

Oddly enough the dealer had the X730 marked a little cheaper than the X710....?

The X730 is a beast. This thing reminds me of a JD 455 or my grandpa's Cub Cadet super garden tractor. It seems to be build very well, very heavy. Got to drive it around and mow a little grass on their back 40. Runs, drives and mows great. LOVE the drive over deck, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Dealer had it listed for $9,795 with the 48'' deck. Said that included the $500 rebate going on now. Said the financing had gone up. Was now 0 for 12 months if paid in full or 4.9% for 48mo. He did say that people with really good credit were getting as low as 2.9% for 60.

I would do something for 0% but anything more than that I think I'd rather pay for it out right.

He's got a used X738 coming in on trade tomorrow or Friday. Said I should look at it. 2017 with 120hrs 54'' Said 12k for that one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 2016 x730 and I do love it. Have 54" mower, 47" blower and the 3 bag collection system. Have about 170hs on it. It does like its gas. I mow about 4 acres a week. Kinda wish I would have gone to the 1025, but I am very pleased with my tractor!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Seriously drive the x738 around and take it up an incline before buying anything else. I know every dealer is different but I got my brand new 0 hr x738 with an autoconnect 54HC deck, 3PH installed, and the mulch kit for 12,950 including taxes and delivery. They can do a lot better on a used x738 with 120 hrs.

The current JD promotions for the x700 series is $500 dollars off and 0% for 60 months. That is on any brand new x700 tractor. If your dealer didn't know that you may want to try another dealer. If buying a new machine it can save you thousands by shopping multiple dealers.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Guys, thanks for all the replies ! Got some great feedback and some great information.

I went and looked at a X710 and X730 today.

Oddly enough the dealer had the X730 marked a little cheaper than the X710....?

The X730 is a beast. This thing reminds me of a JD 455 or my grandpa's Cub Cadet super garden tractor. It seems to be build very well, very heavy. Got to drive it around and mow a little grass on their back 40. Runs, drives and mows great. LOVE the drive over deck, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Dealer had it listed for $9,795 with the 48'' deck. Said that included the $500 rebate going on now. Said the financing had gone up. Was now 0 for 12 months if paid in full or 4.9% for 48mo. He did say that people with really good credit were getting as low as 2.9% for 60.

I would do something for 0% but anything more than that I think I'd rather pay for it out right.

He's got a used X738 coming in on trade tomorrow or Friday. Said I should look at it. 2017 with 120hrs 54'' Said 12k for that one.
I Bought a used 2012 X748 In 2014 with 110 hrs for $10,300 with a 54inch deck Final cost was $12,300 Had them add a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch, Click N Go Brackets & rear PTO and Had them Install The Hydrostatic relief Valve as well as I was Transferring My 45 Loader from My X485 to My X748 Had over 2 years of warranty left On it. So depending On How the X738 Looks It would Be worth going with it as well. Because You still have over 2 years of warranty Left or 580Hrs which ever comes first :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seriously drive the x738 around and take it up an incline before buying anything else. I know every dealer is different but I got my brand new 0 hr x738 with an autoconnect 54HC deck, 3PH installed, and the mulch kit for 12,950 including taxes and delivery. They can do a lot better on a used x738 with 120 hrs.

The current JD promotions for the x700 series is $500 dollars off and 0% for 60 months. That is on any brand new x700 tractor. If your dealer didn't know that you may want to try another dealer. If buying a new machine it can save you thousands by shopping multiple dealers.
I wondered about 0%. Other people on here have posted they got 0%. Thanks for confirming that.

I will check the dealer in the next town over. This local guy is very nice, but I agree he’s high priced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To close this out. Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it!

Went to a different dealer today to look at a 2017 X730 54” 30hrs. Asking $8995. The tractor is in incredible shape. Guy traded it in for an X738. The demo was impressive. Big smooth and powerful.

Had the dealer price out a blade, weights and chains. $11k out the door. Seemed fair to me, but still a lot of money. I told the dealer about originally wanting an X590. He said that he trades a few people out of X500s for X700s every year. In fact he just took in a 2018 X590 with a blade for an X738.

Long story short (too late). He walked me back to a 2018 X590 48 hours. 48” with an unused blade, weights and chains..... $5700 plus tax......Sold!

I know that I may regret this. But this machine just jumped out at me as the right thing to do. It was in perfect shape and I could pay for it out right.

Thanks again for the help! Parents are thrilled.

Anyone want to buy a Cub Cadet? ?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
To close this out. Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it!

Went to a different dealer today to look at a 2017 X730 54” 30hrs. Asking $8995. The tractor is in incredible shape. Guy traded it in for an X738. The demo was impressive. Big smooth and powerful.

Had the dealer price out a blade, weights and chains. $11k out the door. Seemed fair to me, but still a lot of money. I told the dealer about originally wanting an X590. He said that he trades a few people out of X500s for X700s every year. In fact he just took in a 2018 X590 with a blade for an X738.

Long story short (too late). He walked me back to a 2018 X590 48 hours. 48” with an unused blade, weights and chains..... $5700 plus tax......Sold!

I know that I may regret this. But this machine just jumped out at me as the right thing to do. It was in perfect shape and I could pay for it out right.

Thanks again for the help! Parents are thrilled.

Anyone want to buy a Cub Cadet? ?

You got an amazing deal on that 590. Nice work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts