Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well.....that's not exactly what he said, but it was owned by a woman. Dealer serviced. 460 hours.

I just could not get use to the X485 AWS. I cut 600 feet of steep ditch line and I nearly rolled her over. Just never felt as sure footed as the old 445. So....down the road with the X485. I then stumbled across this X595 (2002) and now have her parked in the garage. I took her for a quick spin and she feels like mountain goat. I am happy.

My only diesel experience is with the 1025R. This little bugger runs pretty much the same. Slightly rougher idle on the X595. Murphy apparently followed me home since I found the yellow wrench light on when I backed it off the trailer. Didn't notice it before we loaded it. 70 mile ride home. Bumpy roads.

Figured I would dig out my new service manual for the X4XX & X5XX series. Darn thing doesn't cover the diesel. Foiled again!
Any common things to check or am I stuck until I get the manual? (last disk took over 3 weeks)

Also does anything look out of place under the hood? I'm an old gasser guy so any info or pointers are much appreciated.

Attachments

Premium Member
:congrats::greentractorride::bigthumb: NICE

Registered
Really not much to worry about.Those diesels are bullet proof,and if the dealer serviced it you should see what they did last. They're little tanks like a garden tractor on steroids.
Great find,enjoy.

Registered
I believe the wrench symbol lights when it is time to service. Unfortunately I have never seen mine light up because the hour meters on both of my tractors does not work.

I bought a X595 a year ago and liked it so much, I bought another 6 months later.

I mow a steep bank with a X595 with a 62C deck. Lock the rear wheels, turn on the FWD and it is VERY stable on the side of the slope.

Great tractors. I moved up from 455's.

George of Buford

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great if it's just a maintenance due light. Maybe someone knows the reset procedure?

Late last night I went out to record the ID tags. Found the tractor is a 2003. Guess that shows you how much the seller knew.

This dash also has a history. The cluster in it shows 313 hours but I have the old cluster. (453 hrs.) The #20 ground pin looks good but I can reflow the solder to confirm. Seller said the problem was intermittent and reared it's head in rainy weather. All pointing to the normal grounding issues. I would prefer to get the old cluster fixed and back into the tractor.

I can only imagine what my neighbors thought when I was driving the tractor around the day after I cut the lawn. Not to mention the deck wasn't engaged. LOL.

Had some concerns with the X4 and X5 series after my experience with the 485 AWS. No regrets! The 2WS models are rock solid like the old 445/455 chassis.

Thanks for the feedback.

Corndog Hater
Congrats it looks like a nice find. Enjoy!

Registered
"That would be great if it's just a maintenance due light. Maybe someone knows the reset procedure?"

The S8 Service Timer Reset Switch is a push button switch on -030000 models. I believe it is behind the screen on the left side near the instrument cluster? You need to hold it in for a few seconds with the ignition switch in the run position to reset it.

George of Buford

Registered
The first thing I would do is to grease the driveshaft u-joint and the MFWD driveshaft. The two X-595's I bought were never greased. There is also a grease zerk on the main pivot bolt for the front end that is an absolute PITA. Most people miss this one also.

Change the hydro fluid and filter. You can tell if the fluid has ever been changed by looking at the drain plug. If the paint looks OEM, it has never seen a wrench. If the paint is chipped, it has been removed. I bought an X740 last week with 520 hours. The hydro fluid and filter were never changed.

I have bought three tractors that I never saw in person. I always ask for a closeup of the drain plug. I knew that the X740 fluid had never been changed, but 520 hours is not that bad. It should be every 200 hours.

Just from looking at the picture, the fuel filter looks fairly new. No need to change it.

I also noticed the PO had marked the hours on the engine oil filter. Nice to know.

George of Buford

Premium Member
A low hour, well cared for x595 is very hard to find, I know because I have looked and looked. In my personal opinion, the two very best Garden Tractors that John Deere has ever made are the 455 and the x595. For those who haven't owned and used these models, its hard to explain the substantial nature and incredibly rock solid and "overbuilt" character of these two machines. The 455 and the x595 were expensive garden tractors when sold new. In inflation adjusted dollars, they were more than the prices of today's machines.

Yes, the newer Deere machines are nice and are machine's in a class all their own compared to the competition, but they simply aren't the same. Today's machines are not as heavy and not as "stout". Weight in a garden tractor, especially low center of gravity weight, provides these machines with stability and capabilities that lighter machines simply don't have. I think your comments about mowing in the ditch are a good example. Until one has personally experienced it, it's hard to explain that "feeling" of sure footed, low center of gravity. I know I have done many things with my 455 which I wouldn't consider doing with the 1025R due to this issue. I never got my 455 into a situation where I felt it was in danger of tipping over, where I think it took me 15 minutes to experience that concern when using my 1025R and its something you have to always be very aware of.

It seems that following the x595, Deere corporate policy focused much more on controlling costs to keep the retail price down closer to garden tractors of much less quality. Of course, historically, this was also about the time when they started to enter the "Big Box stores", which was something I personally don't feel has enhanced the John Deere brand. But that's another story in itself. The x595 machine weighs nearly 1,200 pounds without the mower deck. The 455 was right at 1,000 pounds naked. Of course, the x595 is MFWD 4wd, which explains much of the weight difference.

Congratulations on your x595 find. :good2:

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks George, that was the cheapist and easiest fix I ever did on a John Deere tractor. :bigthumb:
Under the side panel, yellow refrigerator type of switch.

Sulley, I never got to experience the diesel but the abuse my 445 has taken is ridiculous. That was one of the hardest things to overcome when I got the 1025R. When you step on the go pedal of the 445 it has a very positive feel. When you hook up to a bush to pull it out, something will happen. Usually break traction. My point is you feel like you have full power at your right foot. The 1025 doesn't over whelm me with that feeling. At least mine. May be a pressure issue.

To give some credit to the 1025R, I was mowing a neighbors property and was unfamiliar with his ditch line. I should have rolled the tractor but it stuck. I literally had to change my shorts on that one. Now I do have liquid filled rears and 72# starters but that's all that may have saved me. I think to 1025 just doesn't have the seat of the pants confident feeling but I gained some respect for her for not rolling over on me.

Registered
A low hour, well cared for x595 is very hard to find, I know because I have looked and looked. In my personal opinion, the two very best Garden Tractors that John Deere has ever made are the 455 and the x595. For those who haven't owned and used these models, its hard to explain the substantial nature and incredibly rock solid and "overbuilt" character of these two machines. The 455 and the x595 were expensive garden tractors when sold new. In inflation adjusted dollars, they were more than the prices of today's machines.

Yes, the newer Deere machines are nice and are machine's in a class all their own compared to the competition, but they simply aren't the same. Today's machines are not as heavy and not as "stout". Weight in a garden tractor, especially low center of gravity weight, provides these machines with stability and capabilities that lighter machines simply don't have. I think your comments about mowing in the ditch are a good example. Until one has personally experienced it, it's hard to explain that "feeling" of sure footed, low center of gravity. I know I have done many things with my 455 which I wouldn't consider doing with the 1025R due to this issue. I never got my 455 into a situation where I felt it was in danger of tipping over, where I think it took me 15 minutes to experience that concern when using my 1025R and its something you have to always be very aware of.

It seems that following the x595, Deere corporate policy focused much more on controlling costs to keep the retail price down closer to garden tractors of much less quality. Of course, historically, this was also about the time when they started to enter the "Big Box stores", which was something I personally don't feel has enhanced the John Deere brand. But that's another story in itself. The x595 machine weighs nearly 1,200 pounds without the mower deck. The 455 was right at 1,000 pounds naked. Of course, the x595 is MFWD 4wd, which explains much of the weight difference.

After having the X595 I would love to find a X495 to replace the 345.Then all attachments would be the same.:good2:
They're just as hard to find.

Registered
After having the X595 I would love to find a X495 to replace the 345.Then all attachments would be the same.:good2:
They're just as hard to find.
REALLY!! That is exactly what it did. I found a X495 at an auction for $2,600!! Then I found someone selling an X595, who wanted a 2WD WITH A 3 JOINT HITCH, which I had off a 455. So that is how I got my second X595. I would buy a X495 in a heartbeat if the price was right!!

Another plus is that my filters are the same for my X595, X740 and 2210. That is a big savings because I stock all of my filter.

George of Buford

Registered
"A low hour, well cared for x595 is very hard to find, I know because I have looked and looked. In my personal opinion, the two very best Garden Tractors that John Deere has ever made are the 455 and the x595. For those who haven't owned and used these models, its hard to explain the substantial nature and incredibly rock solid and "overbuilt" character of these two machines. The 455 and the x595 were expensive garden tractors when sold new. In inflation adjusted dollars, they were more than the prices of today's machines."

I have owner six 455's and thought they were the absolute best JD GT. I was wrong!!!!!! The X595 is head and shoulder above the 455. That is very difficult for me to say, but it is a FACT. Oh, BY THE WAY, I now own TWO X595's.!!

George of Buford

Registered
Thanks George, that was the cheapist and easiest fix I ever did on a John Deere tractor. :bigthumb:
Under the side panel, yellow refrigerator type of switch.

Sulley, I never got to experience the diesel but the abuse my 445 has taken is ridiculous. That was one of the hardest things to overcome when I got the 1025R. When you step on the go pedal of the 445 it has a very positive feel. When you hook up to a bush to pull it out, something will happen. Usually break traction. My point is you feel like you have full power at your right foot. The 1025 doesn't over whelm me with that feeling. At least mine. May be a pressure issue.

To give some credit to the 1025R, I was mowing a neighbors property and was unfamiliar with his ditch line. I should have rolled the tractor but it stuck. I literally had to change my shorts on that one. Now I do have liquid filled rears and 72# starters but that's all that may have saved me. I think to 1025 just doesn't have the seat of the pants confident feeling but I gained some respect for her for not rolling over on me.
I do have a PayPal account where you can send $$$. Just kidding. :good2:

Registered

I got to see a 455 recently.

The size definitely impressed me. It also kinda made me shake my head when I saw the construction seemed twice that of my 2520 (yet my 2520 is the so-called "utility tractor"). The comparison, even though not side-by-side, was plain as day about corporate-culture creep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts