Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my X595's is leaking oil from the top of the steering control unit. JD wants $550 for a new AM148274. :banghead::banghead::banghead: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. They do not have a repair kit like some of the older tractor models. Has anyone had a problem with one of these? Seems like a couple O rings might be all it takes.

The unit for a 455 has a kit and seals maybe some of these would work. I have a couple control spare units from 4X5 tractors and they look the same. I can guarantee I will be taking it apart to see exactly what the problem is.:think: I did find some on $Bay that I might try a used one.

George of Buford

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
X595 Power Steering Lines - ST604066

On the page that they list the complete valve, scroll down to 3rd from the bottom. They list a seal kit, AM118091 for $61.62. For that price, I'd suspect it's the seal kit you're looking for, but check with your dealer.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Had one go bad on a X485 at work. All I can say they're a pain to get out and back in. Take pics and label the lines before you start.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the steering unit for the 4X5 GT's and they showed an exploded view with all of the individual seals. They also listed the AM118091 kit that included all of them. Just for giggles and grins I did a where used search for the AM118091 kit. The list included probably all X400 X500 and X700 garden tractors. I went back to the X595 parts and found the AM118091, but there was no description of what parts were included or the exploded view like the 4X5. I hate the new JD parts system.

I once changed a steering control for one of my 455's. It was a PITA, but the X595 looks like it is worse. The good news is the Technical Manual has a detailed procedure for removing and repairing the steering unit. The bad news it starts with removing the steering wheel, instrument cluster and shroud. Then you can start on the steering unit.

George of Buford

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I bought a used steering valve and finally thought I would replace the bad one on my X595. To get to the top of the steering valve, you need to remove the fender deck, foot deck and the screen/pedestal. I have did these steps before on another tractor and it is not very difficult. You need to remove two 6mm Allen head cap screws to remove the separator plate that holds the 5 hydraulic lines in place. Well that sounds pretty simple. :thumbup1gif: Boy was I WRONG!! :mad::mad: Can you see the control valve? Can you see the second cap screw? Can you get your hand near the steering valve? I made a diagram of the valve and labeled each line. A picture probably is not real helpful.

X595 Steering valve under tractor.JPG

I had looked at the valve before I started. I have a couple sets of 3/8" sockets sets with Allen heads. They were too big to get to the two cap screws. I bought a new set of long arm metric Allen wrenches and a new set of 1/4" sockets with Allen heads. I figured between the two, one of them would work. The socket Allen wrenches are very handy when you have some room.

X595 ALlen Wrench View.JPG

A couple days before I started this repair, I sprayed the two cap screws and hydraulic fittings with Kroil. This usually does wonders to loosen things up.

I did get a long arm Allen wrench on a cap screw and tried to loosen it. I had a good grip and pushed as HARD AS I COULD. No luck. I then put an 8" piece of pipe on the Allen wrench and pushed as hard as I could. On my second attempt it went POW. I thought I might have broke the Allen wrench, but luckily the bolt was loose. The second cap screw was not accessible with the Allen wrench, so I went with the 1/4" Allen socket. I had the socket on a long extension with a 1/4" ratchet. I pushed as hard as I could and was afraid I was going to break the ratchet. So, I put a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter on the socket and then a 3/8" breaker bar. On my second attempt, I had a pop and the bolt was loose.

According to the TM, you then just need to remove the five hydraulic lines from the valve. Two of the lines are hard lines and three of them have hoses. The two hard lines are connected to the SCV and need to be disconnected. Not an easy task, but just takes a little time. Finally, I attempted to just pull the lines out of the steering valve. There is not much room to work. I twisted and pulled and finally got one out. The next 4 were impossible to get out, so I soaked them with Kroil and waited a day. No luck so I heated the metal lines with my heat shrink gun, pulled and pulled. No luck. At this point, I could see I needed to make a tool to pry them out. Finally they came out. There is nothing holding them into the valve once the separator plate is removed. Yes, I will be installing new O-rings. Yes, there WILL be anti-seize on the caps screws.

X595 Valve View.JPG

X595 Valve View 1.JPG

My SWAG is that the lines are installed dry. Kinda like oil and hydro filters. And we all know how difficult they are to remove the first time. I am going to be sure I use assembly grease on the O-rings and inside of the valve ports.

I plan to rebuild the old valve since there is a kit available, but never want to attempt this repair again.

I called my local JD dealer and asked the service manager how much it would cost to replace the valve. He searched for 10-15 minutes and found nothing? I guess they do not want to do this repair, neither do I. Once was enough.

George of Buford

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, installing the replacement steering valve was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just do not follow the instructions in the tech manual. Whoever wrote the instructions was just sitting at a desk, not actually doing the work. I fixed the tilt steering assembly which had never worked. Installing the pedestal was a real pain literally. My arms were scratched up to my elbows. Plugging in the electrical connections, parking brake, cruise control, ignition switch, etc. was not easy. Real easy to take apart though.

Fixed the fuel sender in the tank. Shimmed the IRV. Fixed the SCV float position. Sealed and repaired the instrument cluster. Once it was apart, I fixed a lot of things I been putting off.

George of Buford

1 - 6 of 6 Posts