Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

So I got an x758 pretty much new with only 8 hours on it. I tried using the front quick hitch 47" snow blower, granted in the wettest heaviest snow I have ever seen, and it would'nt blow it. Just pushed it around. I didnt have much time to meddle as the snow/sleet was coming down hard at that point and I put it away.

The tractor is new, although I did find the head of a bolt which I assume is a shear pin snapped later on.
Now im wondering.....

Was it the snow? I have no history with this machine, my Honda 928 moves anything, maybe I am lucky with that, but will the John Deere Front Loader 47" snow thrower move wet wet heavy snow, or to those people that use this model have you found the JD snowblower to be pretty bullet proof in moving anything?

Back to the broken bolt, I will probably have to buy some JD shear pins/bolts for this model snow blower....anyone recommend a good site or source? Local shop is miles away.

I did notice a ridiculously larger gap between the rotating impeller on the side wall of the snow blower, probably 3/4 inch, and from what I read that can cause them to block up like it did, whereas on the Honda its about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch max. Some people add impeller mods to the impeller, with rubber modification parts, are these even needed with a strong x758 diesel??

Any help would be appreciated. obviously cant tell if it will throw snow until it snows again but I need to get ahead of that point

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did you checked on the snowblower body (frame) for John Deere supplied extra shear bolts.

I had a 47 snowblower on a JD 318 some years ago, and you could move mountains with it.
Regards

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
First thing that you need to do is check the shear bolts. It should have 3 of them. One on the second stage impeller that throws the snow up and one on each side of the spiral augers. If they are broken you should be able to spin it on the shaft with the unit off.
The drive shafts would be next.
Some units also have sprockets and drive chains on one side.

Letting snow and ice freeze inside the housing will also jam it up.

Depending on how wet the snow is vs how fast/hard your tractor is pushing it. The shoot can clog up. At this point you have no choice but to get off and dig it out. Some blowers come with a special plastic tool for this. Resist the temptation to use your hand. Seen the aftermath of this years ago and it wasn't pretty. Dudes lucky we were skipping school and I was driving down the street shortly after it happened. So we ran him to the hospital.

You can also use another person to watch the front of the running blower while you operate it. Just to make sure both sides of the auger are feeding snow correctly. Usually when only one pin shears it will only 1/2 work. Just be careful.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It states using rear suitcase weights ..... is it a must? Anyone using it ok without rear counter weight?

·
Registered
796 Posts
It states using rear suitcase weights ..... is it a must? Anyone using it ok without rear counter weight?
Depends, are the rear wheels spinning as you encounter the snow? Is the front end heavy, lifting rear wheels off the ground? Can you turn when when encountering the snow? If any of the responses are yes, then you need weight and tire chains (steel or rubber)

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
That blower should tackle/handle any kind of snow you through at it, mine does. A good coat of silicone spray all over the housing and impellers doesn’t hurt either.

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
Given that it sounds like you had a broken shear bolt with first use, is it possible that you engaged the PTO at full engine RPM? While not certain, it is possible to break a shear bolt this way. You always want to engage the PTO at low RPM and then slowly increase the engine to PTO speed. Another possibility is the dealer over tightened them when initially setting up the blower. They could have been just on the verge of breaking.

It would be interesting to know which shear bolt broke. There is one on each side of the auger and one on the impeller. Normally only one side of the auger bolts break which leaves the other side still spinning.

I recommend you use the JD factory sheer bolts and nuts. They cost about $0.75 each. You can get them from www.greenfarmparts.com who is a GTT sponsor. It might be a good time to also pick up some oil and filters for your first service interval. Be sure to keep the zerks on the blower well greased during the season. Also inspect the chain regularly when new as it will stretch. Too tight is worse than too loose.

As others have mentioned, there should be 4 extra sheer bolts/nuts mounted on the rear of your snow blower (see below).

shear_bolt.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys
That’s all great advice
I think that either the previous owner in the hour he used it may have broke a bolt or like you said over torqued when put together!
I didn’t know about the turn on low PTO and then increase it but that sounds like a good idea now that you bring it up!

I also bought silicone and PTFE spray to help. Now that I know once working that this thing goes thru anything thrown at it like wet snow then that helps!

Like I said I found a head of a bolt or nut so I do believe there will be a shear bolt broken!

The biggest pain in the arse at this time of year is
Removing the bagger
Removing the deck
Storing the deck
Installing the hitch and front blower and hooking up!!

At least an hour or so’s work and who knows how much snow we will get lol I have the Honda track 928 and it’s a beast I love it but the thoughts of sitting and driving does seem nice

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That blower should tackle/handle any kind of snow you through at it, mine does. A good coat of silicone spray all over the housing and impellers doesn’t hurt either.
Though it should be blowing some snow, with certain conditions I've seen blowers push it around more than through the chute. In fact, on my x758 with 54" blower it tends to push the snow far more than my old 345 single stage 42" did. I'm thinking the slower auger rotation speed may be a factor.

Rob

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Though it should be blowing some snow, with certain conditions I've seen blowers push it around more than through the chute. In fact, on my x758 with 54" blower it tends to push the snow far more than my old 345 single stage 42" did. I'm thinking the slower auger rotation speed may be a factor.

Rob
Yeh, but the problem with mine was it never came through the chute at all! Was pushing from the start!

Now it’s the....do I bother setting up the blower with all the work that has to go into it, or use the Honda 928! I don’t have a huge driveway! It’s a curved driveway about 50 foot long, but I’m sure the tractor diesel driven 47 inch is more fun that the tracked 9HP 28 inch Honda

·
Registered
796 Posts
With the quick-tach style, you drive up, hook the pick up pin which are at the top, lift unit with the hydraulic, release lock pins and off you go. The old standard style unit (47" 2 stage), carefully guide frame to front, lift frame with a heavy duty bar (something that won't bend) to get bottom pins into tractor frame, when this is accomplished then release lock pins at top of frame on snowblower, now you have to lift on the front of snowblower to get top locking pins to pop into their holes, Not something easy for older people or those with physical issues (weight lifting restrictions) to do. I use a floor jack with some wood (both under the jack and on the under side of the blower shell top to take up some height to lift the front of the 47" till I hear the locking pins pop. Then it is time for the hydraulic lines and bet tension adjustment. So Deere did make it a lot easier and faster with the quick-tach style.

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
Now it’s the....do I bother setting up the blower with all the work that has to go into it, or use the Honda 928! I don’t have a huge driveway! It’s a curved driveway about 50 foot long, but I’m sure the tractor diesel driven 47 inch is more fun that the tracked 9HP 28 inch Honda
That's a tough call for 50 foot of driveway. Don't be surprised if that Honda 928 throws the snow farther than the JD 47". Especially if your JD blower has the plastic impeller.

If you never saw ANY snow come out the chute even though the blower was being pushed through the snow then the problem almost certainly has to be the shear bolt on the impeller. If it were an auger bolt that was broken it would typically be only one side AND even if both sides were broken it doesn't take much to "push" a little snow into the impeller and have it come out the chute.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

For a starting point I would get. Rear chains and as many suitcase weights as you can mount on the back of your tractor. With just turf tires you might not be getting enough traction to push into the snow. Like your rear wheels are just spinning in place instead of moving you forward. Wet snow will always give you more trouble than the dry powder kind. With wet you will definitely need to keep more pressure on the snow pile to it keeps moving through the blower.

Having the steel rims spin inside the rubber tires is another possibility. I think that this is more of a problem with wheels that are filled with liquid ballast. Especially when what little air space inside that's left gets low. You can check this by putting some kind of mark across the two. If the marks eventually don't line up you have this problem.
Checking the tire pressure sure wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought the shear bolts were just standard grade 1/4" 20 by 1" bolts. I have not broken one yet but that is what dealer gave be when I bought some spares.

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
I thought the shear bolts were just standard grade 1/4" 20 by 1" bolts. I have not broken one yet but that is what dealer gave be when I bought some spares.
It sounds like the dealer is just passing out candy. :)

According to the parts list for the 47" snow blower this is the proper bolt to use. Note: Grade A17D is equivalent to Grade 5.

Part Number:
19H1914
Part Price: 0.46 USD Each
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Cap Screw - SCREW, HEX HEAD

Specification
Weight: 0.02 LBS 0.01 Kg
Diameter0.250 IN
ThreadUNC2A
Length1.000 IN
Thread Length0.875 IN
Width Across Flats0.438 IN
Head Height0.163 IN
Material GradeA17D
FinishB

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
I’m sure the tractor diesel driven 47 inch is more fun that the tracked 9HP 28 inch Honda

It sure would be:bigthumb:

That's a tough call for 50 foot of driveway. Don't be surprised if that Honda 928 throws the snow farther than the JD 47". Especially if your JD blower has the plastic impeller.

If you never saw ANY snow come out the chute even though the blower was being pushed through the snow then the problem almost certainly has to be the shear bolt on the impeller. If it were an auger bolt that was broken it would typically be only one side AND even if both sides were broken it doesn't take much to "push" a little snow into the impeller and have it come out the chute.

I agree!:good2:

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
The shear bolts are grade 5 bolts. Can be bought anywhere but really look at the pic where it shows extra bolts, you probably have some. You stated the impeller is 3/4" away from the bulkhead,,,, that's wrong. It should be about 1/4 to 3/8" space, do not make it tight it will run against the bearing housing and make sure your hex bolts are tight too on the impeller if they are not it will move back and forth front to back. Isn't your machine a 4x4? Mine is a X738 and I never need chains and I have a uphill drive about 400' long and I have never been stuck. You have great info here to start with and if you have a live body or you have bypassed your seat switch look after the PTO has been engaged, you should see all parts turning if not, you have a shear bolt problem, if nothing turns check your drive chain or PTO shafts. That tractor can blow snow like you read about... Jeff Remember as stated; before you touch anything shut the engine down.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to finish this up as to what the problem was in case others find the thread.
The shear bolts were all intact, not broken, but I think the impeller came forward off the hex but holding it in place and therefore was just not engaged. This is how it came from factory as it was never even used.

I took off the shear pin from the impeller plate, and physically pushed the impeller fully back as far as i could. The plates the shear bolts connect were then linked into the hex (itll lock in to the impeller) then once locked in i placed the shear pin to bolt them together. Then locked the plate into mount with the positioning screw.
Thoughts are the positioning screw possibly came a little loose and came off the impeller.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That sounds like your issue. While I will agree that the 47 quick hitch blowers will sometimes lack throwing distance, they almost always have enough power to move the snow. The other day I was blowing what amounted to water logged slop off the bottom of a driveway. It only went about 10 feet but it had to be dang near solid water. I would expect your next experience to be much more impressive now that you have found the issue. I make an effort to check the shear keys each time I am getting the tractor ready to work.

I would also recommend you periodically take out the shear bolts and spin the augers and impeller to make sure they don't seize to the shaft. That is your safety to make sure you don't damage critical and expensive components. I normally take mine apart every other year or so to clean up the connections, check bearings, and get everything squared away.

I don't use, and have never felt a need for chains on my x758.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts