Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do the 54 and 60HC decks provide a cut quality good enough for a commercial application?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I scheduled a demo with a jd z920 w/54" pro deck yesterday. I live in Carlisle, Pa. I live in the country - across from farm fields. I have clover and probably every other imaginable grass growing in our yard (some maybe even not known to modern man). I did my research and listened to forums like this and others and felt the jd z920 w/54" pro deck was the way to go. For me, it is not.:kidw_truck_smiley: The grass cut, for me, was not what I expected. Grass with the rate it's been growing has been crazy around our area the last two years. It seems all the neighbors (and me) cut grass a lot - and we aren't commercial type people that do grass cutting for a living (but maybe I do):mocking:. The jd z 940m performed well but left areas in the yard where grass was 6"-8" tall spit out on top of the ground. Yes, it cut the grass to the dialed in height of the mower deck but did not chop it up to acceptable finer pieces as expected - not even after repeated cuts. I will say this "grass" is of a very broad type leaf structure and "veiny". I was miffed and puzzled because I expected a "perfect" cut. One other thing. I mow all but 4 acres. The jd z920m w/54" pro deck is not a smooth ride by itself. While it is capable of going plenty fast I couldn't because it would jar my sides to much with it's harsh ride on my turf.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I scheduled a demo with a jd z920 w/54" pro deck yesterday. I live in Carlisle, Pa. I live in the country - across from farm fields. I have clover and probably every other imaginable grass growing in our yard (some maybe even not known to modern man). I did my research and listened to forums like this and others and felt the jd z920 w/54" pro deck was the way to go. For me, it is not.:kidw_truck_smiley: The grass cut, for me, was not what I expected. Grass with the rate it's been growing has been crazy around our area the last two years. It seems all the neighbors (and me) cut grass a lot - and we aren't commercial type people that do grass cutting for a living (but maybe I do):mocking:. The jd z 940m performed well but left areas in the yard where grass was 6"-8" tall spit out on top of the ground. Yes, it cut the grass to the dialed in height of the mower deck but did not chop it up to acceptable finer pieces as expected - not even after repeated cuts. I will say this "grass" is of a very broad type leaf structure and "veiny". I was miffed and puzzled because I expected a "perfect" cut. One other thing. I mow all but 4 acres. The jd z920m w/54" pro deck is not a smooth ride by itself. While it is capable of going plenty fast I couldn't because it would jar my sides to much with it's harsh ride on my turf.

so....:unknown:

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
do the 54 and 60HC decks provide a cut quality good enough for a commercial application?
John, I have a X738 with the 54HC deck and have a mulching kit installed.. It cuts beautifully and I mow around three acres of grass, garbage and roads thru my property.. I love the cut and have never had an issue with the deck.. I would say yes it will do a commercial job as good as any other mower.. JT

·
Registered
747 Posts
The cut will be good enough but if using the machine commercially on a daily basis you may find it will start to wear out fast and start costing you money in repairs.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
I moved this to the lawn and garden section where you will get more responses from X700 owners.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would not call them a "commercial grade deck" that will put up with extended pounding. It seems the hanger design would come out of adjustment often.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not call them a "commercial grade deck" that will put up with extended pounding. It seems the hanger design would come out of adjustment often.
can you elaborate, please?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm basing my opinion on the older x7** decks like what is on my x744 and dad's x749. They may have changed the shape a bit but the attachment design is the same. Compared to my old Cub 982, the x7** decks level adjustment changes quite a bit with time (just plan on re adjusting it). Also, the x7** range of motion is limited as in going over uneven ground. Now, our x744 is only driven by my wife and me, over fairly level ground, not hitting rocks and hidden farm machinery, will last as long as I need it to. The neighbor's x700 is used by a hired hand and will not last as long as mine will. The last jd tractor he had literally had its wheels driven off. My idea of "commercial" is being able to sustain years of hired hand use. If a person uses common sense, these things will mow a ton of grass for many years.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks birdhouse!

btw, it would be just me operating it. i try to slow down on the bumps.

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
I'm basing my opinion on the older x7** decks like what is on my x744 and dad's x749. They may have changed the shape a bit but the attachment design is the same. Compared to my old Cub 982, the x7** decks level adjustment changes quite a bit with time (just plan on re adjusting it). Also, the x7** range of motion is limited as in going over uneven ground. Now, our x744 is only driven by my wife and me, over fairly level ground, not hitting rocks and hidden farm machinery, will last as long as I need it to. The neighbor's x700 is used by a hired hand and will not last as long as mine will. The last jd tractor he had literally had its wheels driven off. My idea of "commercial" is being able to sustain years of hired hand use. If a person uses common sense, these things will mow a ton of grass for many years.
I based my opinion on my machine and also my friend who is in charge of a horse farm that has multiple X700's and the hired hands mow acres and acres of land on a bi-weekly schedule (that's all they do, mow and weed whack).. He recommended this machine to me because of the usage they get out of the machines.. They have been happy with no issues outside of a toolbox cover breaking.. Some of these fields have small rocks etc. The fence areas (60 feet wide both sides) around the fields are kept immaculate with these mowers. The owner is a multimillionaire and cares about what his mini horse farm looks like.. All about image sometimes.. This place is beautiful. I have over 100 hours now and bought mine new last August and have not had to adjust my deck and I torture it, believe me I do! Just my 2cents.. I would buy another exact machine, but I hope I will never need to!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
let me rephrase the ???. could one use a x738/758 for commercial mowing?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the x730,I say yes if you use common sense.its a heavy built tractor.do not get the drive over deck,I have it and have had some problems with it.JD already put on a complete ungraded attachment kit on,it's better now.just stay away from that.i have the 54 HC deck,it's a great deck.just not the greatest mounting system for the drive over.

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
I have the x730,I say yes if you use common sense.its a heavy built tractor.do not get the drive over deck,I have it and have had some problems with it.JD already put on a complete ungraded attachment kit on,it's better now.just stay away from that.i have the 54 HC deck,it's a great deck.just not the greatest mounting system for the drive over.
I also say yes. My X738 does not have an issue with the drive over deck.. I have read others who do have those issues.. Maybe I am just lucky? :dunno: Mine is new 2014. Slick what year is yours? For 22 grand IT BETTER MOW PERFECTLY! Mine had the issue with the snow blower and bearings.. out of round drive gear and lots of noise from the impeller. I have changed all that out. The deck, no issues at all to date.. And it does mow great.. It's also very comfortable, get the armrests, they are a must if you are going to spend a lot of time in the seat. I put on a nice seat cover that has padding too, from GFP, not only protects the seat from tools left in the back pocket it keeps my butt from aching on the three hour jaunts.. I particularly love the factory keg cooler too... JT :hi:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why would you choose one over a zero turn?
Why? Because my wife can operate it, with one hand, without hitting stuff. (and she likes doing it!) She does not like z-turns and would smash into stuff. The AWS tractors with the big decks have a uncut circle of 6" which is plenty small.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah, the inevitable question...

if i did commercial mowing, i would be servicing the monroe/owen/brown county area. this area is very hilly and 90% of peoples yards are on a hill. ive seen folks with a z turn on a hill slipping and sliding like nobody's biz (including myself). also, zturns make my arms tired. i could not go all day with my arms tired and getting more tired. plus, ( this is a very minor thing) i never did like zturns for some reason. me+ zturn = not good IME.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Why? Because my wife can operate it, with one hand, without hitting stuff. (and she likes doing it!) She does not like z-turns and would smash into stuff. The AWS tractors with the big decks have a uncut circle of 6" which is plenty small.
Sounds good to me. :good2: I've always seen the commercial guys using z turns, so I was genuinely curious why someone might be looking at a different setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts