Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 X738 with an LCD instrument panel. On a few occasions when the temperature outside falls I notice the instrument panel lens develops condensate. Take a look.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door

Technology Automotive exterior Auto part Electronic device

Technology Display device Electronic signage Electronic device Electronics

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Car Tire

The condensate develops on the outer lens in front of the LCD.

Has ANYONE else experienced this? I need to determine if this is the design expectation or a seal failure. I'd appreciate any feedback yea or nay.

Thanks in advance,

JDDave

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I'm guessing seal failure.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Where is your tractor stored? Some of the pics it looks like the tractor is wet. Does it only happen when you wash your tractor or leave it out in the rain?

My last house had a large basement/garage. Most of which was under grade/ground. Never realized I had a moisture problem until I bought a new motorcycle. The first hot day of the year I backed it out for a ride. That bike was covered in moisture almost immediately. Looked like I left it out in the rain.
My next purchase was a dehumidifier. That took care of the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
My X738 has never has this happen. I store it in an unheated garage but I have seen my Kubota backhoe do this after I do heat the garage to work on something or melt the snow off the blower after a storm and take it out in the freezing cold. My Chrysler 300 will do this too on the HUD, may have something to do with humidity also as stated. Yours looks extremely worse than anything I have witnessed.. Please Let us know what you find out.. Jeff

·
Premium Member
18,931 Posts
Yep using the x738 this summer noticed it several times. While the tractor was at the dealer I mentioned the moisture ,at first I was told they would replace the dash under warranty.. Two or 3 days later NOPE ,, I forgot the reason for not replacement but it came from Mother Deere.

The SIl fathers x738 dash has moisture after washing the tractor. It is parked in a heated garage with dehumidifier , I noticed the moisture when getting on the tractor after setting for a week or while mowing . His isn't quite as bad as yours ,,mention it to the dealer maybe they will replace..:dunno:

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That 2000 HD dresser that I mentioned earlier had a similar problem. Pretty much all the FLHT style bikes (along with other models) would get moisture inside the gauges. Especially the fuel gauge for some reason. This is on the back side of the plastic or glass lens.
The manufacturers position was. Put the bike in the sun for four a day. If it evaporates you don't have a problem. If the gauge doesn't clear up you can warranty it.

However any stains or marks left behind afterwards is another story. Have seen it go both ways as far as being covered.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where is your tractor stored? Some of the pics it looks like the tractor is wet. Does it only happen when you wash your tractor or leave it out in the rain?
My tractor is stored in an attached garage. The garage is dry.

It happened again today. Outside temp was 46F. Somewhat cooler than the garage.

Vehicle Car Compact car City car

Seems like I'd be wise to take it to the dealer. Need to determine when I can do that.

JDDave

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My tractor is stored in an attached garage. The garage is dry.

It happened again today. Outside temp was 46F. Somewhat cooler than the garage.

View attachment 258977

Seems like I'd be wise to take it to the dealer. Need to determine when I can do that.

JDDave
If that is happening just after moving the tractor outside your garage might not be as dry as you think. Try a dehumidifier. It should fix your problem. All they are is a air conditioner with both coils in one cabinet. Air is sucked through the evaporator (cold) then blown through the condenser (hot) coil. You can even try using a window A/C unit to see if it helps. Just put it on something to support it like a 5 gallon bucket. Then let it run for a day and see if it helps.

In my girlfriend's basement just running the washing machine is enough to kick the dehumidifier on. We usually keep it set to 50%.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that is happening just after moving the tractor outside your garage might not be as dry as you think. Try a dehumidifier. It should fix your problem.
This is happening when the tractor is outside, not in the garage. My 2520 doesn't have this problem.

If the suggestion is my garage is the cause, I expect implements that are intended to be used outdoors to be designed for humid conditions, and not susceptible to condensation in the instrument panel. Same for cars and their headlights. Wouldn't you agree?

JDDave

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This is happening when the tractor is outside, not in the garage. My 2520 doesn't have this problem.

If the suggestion is my garage is the cause, I expect implements that are intended to be used outdoors to be designed for humid conditions, and not susceptible to condensation in the instrument panel. Same for cars and their headlights. Wouldn't you agree?

JDDave
I would agree. That's why I used motorcycles as an example. They are designed to get wet. Just like a car or truck. They do give you windshield wipers after all. LOL

Unfortunately try as they may moisture gets into places that it shouldn't.

Here's another personal experience. For years my 2001 Wrangler has had moisture inside the utility trailer style tail lights. I could see it on the inside of the clear/white reverse light part of the lens. One day I removed the lenses and cleaned it off. Everything inside including the seal looked okay. Within a week the moisture was back. They have stayed that way for years. Just recently the left side was not working correctly. I found the bulb socket rusted off the inside of the light. I opened up the right side to see if it was the same. To my surprise the inside was fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contacted the dealer via email. Explanation from dealer is "Signature series tractors have a vented display that allows condensation to disperse through two vents on the rear". Seam like they (the vents) let condensation in as well. Bottom line, dealer says it's not a warrant item.

At some point I'll tear into it and take a look at what the situation is. But not now.

Thanks for everyone's input/comments.

JDDAve

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tried to pull up the solution from home. Cant get it to come up. I'll pull it up tomorrow at work and post a summary. But I'm thinking the vent thing sounds right.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Then the vents could be plugged up (cob webs, dust bunnies, dirt, grass, oil film, coolant film). Who Knows What :unknown:. But if you feel daring :nunu:, you might pull it and check it out. Don't know how hard that be. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
This may sound dumb, but if Deere says no to your request and you take it apart, try washing the inside of the lexan or glass or whatever the lens is made out of with a good glass cleaner with no wax.. There may be a chemical on the glass from the factory that has a reaction to certain temps or moisture. Sounds plausible with quality control and what it is today???? It's worth a try.. It looks like there was a spot and they tried to just wipe it dry??? :dunno:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This may sound dumb, but if Deere says no to your request and you take it apart, try washing the inside of the lexan or glass or whatever the lens is made out of with a good glass cleaner with no wax.. There may be a chemical on the glass from the factory that has a reaction to certain temps or moisture. Sounds plausible with quality control and what it is today???? It's worth a try.. It looks like there was a spot and they tried to just wipe it dry??? :dunno:
Good point. I will definitely take your advice.

JDDave

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Good point. I will definitely take your advice.

JDDave
If the lens is plastic don't use glass cleaner. The stuff will screw up a plastic motorcycle windshield.
Get some plastic cleaner Novis #1 or Plexas. Also never use any type of paper product when you wipe it.
You can also get anti fog treatment made for motorcycle helmet visors.

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
If the lens is plastic don't use glass cleaner. The stuff will screw up a plastic motorcycle windshield.
Get some plastic cleaner Novis #1 or Plexas. Also never use any type of paper product when you wipe it.
You can also get anti fog treatment made for motorcycle helmet visors.
Not sure if it's plastic, I use the spray glass cleaner in a can on mine with the Blue towels from NAPA and I don't have any scratches etc, but that was very good advice, you never know. Do they still use plastic like Plexiglas for lenses these days? That's just cheap in my opinion, especially for a 12 grand garden tractor!!!

Reactions: mjncad
1 - 19 of 19 Posts