Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm do for a new radiator in the x749. I was wondering if anybody may have heard of issues with these leaking and if there is any fixes out there other than laying out $550 at the dealer for a new one.

This machine has less than 750 hrs and if memory serves me right the previous owner has already replaced the radiator at least once. I believe I remember him telling me when I bought the tractor that x700s had issues with frame flex and causing the plastic caps to loosen.

I don't have a problem buying a new one if it is a updated unit and I will get 1000 happy hours out of it but I'm not looking forward to doing this every other season if its not.

The other strange thing is the Part# AM141839 on my radiator doesn't seem to show much form a google search almost like Deere never made it.

·
Premium Member
15,138 Posts
I recall reading about this in the past - frame flexing causing damage to the radiator. Seems odd for a garden tractor marketed as “heavy duty”.

Reactions: JDGreen-n-Yellow

·
Registered
186 Posts
Clicking on AM134274, the rad shown for x749 in online parts, substitutes to AM141840...don't know what that means, but it's curious that it's one off from AM141839

I'm betting they pull part numbers in sequence...

Maybe AM141839 is the number for a component of the AM141840 assembly?

·
Premium Member
11,917 Posts
The John Deere parts book shows the part number of AM134274 which is now replaced with AM141840.
Screenshot_2021-03-30 John Deere Parts Catalog(1).png

I agree with taking the radiator to a local radiator repair shop to see if they can do anything to repair it. Most won't bother with the plastic tanks.

The only other thing I would suggest is a custom made radiator with the same orientation and size, made by someone like Jeg's or Summit Racing's suppliers. There are tons of small all aluminum radiators used in race cars and all sorts of custom applications. Frankly, they cost a fraction of what Deere gets for one for your machine.

Fortunately, your tractor uses a stand alone oil cooler for the hydro oil. Many earlier models combined the oil cooler into the lower portion of the radiator and made it more expensive.

Also, just for your information, the part number shows the same radiator fitting all x700 models in the x700, x720 and x740 series machines, but NOTHING newer than those models listed below

x700
x720
x724
x728
x729
x740
x744
x748
x749

I would remove the radiator and carefully measure it and then search for an aluminum radiator based on those dimensions without the plastic tanks. There are a wide variety of aluminum radiator sizes made for all sorts of applications. As long the hose orientation is correct and the flow direction is the same to match the hoses in the tractor, a universal radiator would work. It takes some creativity on your part. If you simply say you need a radiator for your John Deere x749, no one will have one. If you know the dimensions, I bet you find several options.

Many of the aluminum radiators are between $180 and $300, which is a huge savings off the plastic tank Deere version........Search for the radiator by it's dimensions. Worst case scenario, you have to spend $550 for Deere. Best case, you find an aluminum radiator which doesn't use the plastic tanks and saves you money.........

Check out the radiators at this link. Griffin makes an excellent product, I have used many in race cars, dragsters, etc. I never paid $550 for anything which wasn't fully polished for Street rod applications and was a far superior radiator to the OEM Deere model.........

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Luckily I have 2 reputable radiator shops in the area and gave them a call.

Shop 1 said he would take a look if I brought it in but no promises.

Shop 2 (Based in rural area and does a lot of ag work)knew exactly what I was talking about as soon as I said I had a radiator off a garden tractor. According to him the issue is not so much the plastic tanks and more than likely my leak is below to top tank where the fins attach. After looking closer at my pictures I cant disagree. He says they are not worth fixing and dealer is the only viable option right now. I inquired about custom made but he didn't seem interested and said cores that small are a challenge to find and start at $280 and that's before any soldering or fabrication happens.

Sulley thanks for the in depth info.

If the leak is truly at the fins and not the plastic cap coming loose I have a feeling going to a full aluminum tank could be worse. If the frame is twisting going over uneven terrain and the radiator has to flex then going to a more rigid material such as aluminum on the tanks, making them more rigid and forcing more of the movement to be absorbed by the fins vs a plastic tank witch may or may not absorb some of the flex.

I make look into trying to find a core on my own and fabricating a slightly smaller radiator that I can reinforce and mount with rubber pads. So far I got $555 to spend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Five fifty five, that's rough. Sorry. What year is your machine? I have a 2013 X754 and have never lost any coolant but it has less than 200 hours on it. I am wondering if I need to start worrying about this.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Dunno if the diesel uses the same radiator as the gas version but a Kawasaki radiator for a FD750 engine is about half the price.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Went out to the shed today after work to bring the old 738 to life for the year and noticed a wet spot of antifreeze on the 2x8 ranps I have slid under the front of the tractor. Spot was all the way back by the deck.

Interesting for a 50.8 hour machine.

One more item on the to-do list.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Went out to the shed today after work to bring the old 738 to life for the year and noticed a wet spot of antifreeze on the 2x8 ranps I have slid under the front of the tractor. Spot was all the way back by the deck.

Interesting for a 50.8 hour machine.

One more item on the to-do list.
Check your hoses and overflow tank. The hose clamps are know to loosen a bit and drip from time to time.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to get the 1st mow in so last night I put her back together and we ahead and mowed. Thankfully it seems like some heat slows down the leak.

I fired it up and let it run while I put my panels back on and buttoned things up while having a drip every 3-6 seconds. By the time I was mounting the deck all drips seemed to stop so I went ahead a mowed.

Guess I'm going to run as is and watch my consumption until I have a better plan.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Check your hoses and overflow tank. The hose clamps are know to loosen a bit and drip from time to time.
I've looked twice since I got the tractor and noticed the coolant a bit low.

After I ran it I smelled antifreeze but ran out of daylight so I couldn't dig further into where it might be coming from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts