Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of trading in my 425 for a newer x700 series but am totally confused about all the different models, I am sure there is a difference for all the different numbers in the 700 series but I haven't figured it out yet! One I currently have my eye on is a X740 but really don't know how it compares to the other model numbers or what the differences are. Is there a break down somewhere that shows the differences or do they just come out with new numbers every year? Also wondering about the diesel compared to my old gas 425. Do those of you that have them, like them?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I hate how JD changed everything when they went to the "X" series. There was the X700, X720 and X740 which turned into X710, X730 and X750. The last number just indicates whether its 2wd, 4x4/awd, AWS, or 4x4/AWD and AWS.
0 means 2wd and 2 wheel steer
4 means 2wd and 4 wheel steer
8 means 4x4/AWD and 2 wheel steer
9 means 4x4/AWD and 4 wheel steer

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hiya,

Yep, Deere has an online brochure with a detailed comparison on pages 14 and 15. (John Deere)

As far as what an X700 series Diesel is like compared to a 425, not even in the same league. Go to your dealer and take a test mow on an X758, but do yourself a favor, bring your checkbook with you, that way you won't have to drive back home to get it. I tried one out last summer, took all I could muster to get out of the showroom without it.... :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
I have an X754 (diesel, 2WD, AWS) and it's great. I wouldn't go back to gas again; but if I had to I'd make sure the gas engine is liquid cooled and fuel injected. Carburetors are evil.

My only gripe with the X7xx and it could be a major gripe (e.g. expensive) if one doesn't keep en eye on the temp gauge is that the cooling air intake is behind the engine like a Kubota BX. If you are mowing a lot of dry vegetation, the chaff covers the intake screens pretty quickly. It doesn't take much effort to brush it off; but it's annoying.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
There is a reason they don't make air cooled carbureted cars anymore. The only plus side is they are cheeper to manufacture.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
There is a reason they don't make air cooled carbureted cars anymore. The only plus side is they are cheaper to manufacture.
Hiya,

I'll agree to a point about air cooled engines, there are some fine examples of those still currently used however in a tractor, aircooled should be considered for the lawn and estate tractor class and not for garden tractor class and up. Not that the aircooled engines would be bad but they are too light. A tractor is all about putting power to the ground, the more it weighs, the better it can accomplish that.

To that point, I think Deere should abandon the aluminum V-Twins in the x700 series and go back to offering the cast iron 3 cyl gasoline Yanmar as they did in the 322 years ago. ( a very overlooked tractor but a smooth running sweetheart) This way the difference would only be motor fuel and all the units would have the advantage that the Diesels have with the weight and torque of 3 cylinders.

Tom

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate how JD changed everything when they went to the "X" series. There was the X700, X720 and X740 which turned into X710, X730 and X750. The last number just indicates whether its 2wd, 4x4/awd, AWS, or 4x4/AWD and AWS.
0 means 2wd and 2 wheel steer
4 means 2wd and 4 wheel steer
8 means 4x4/AWD and 2 wheel steer
9 means 4x4/AWD and 4 wheel steer
Sooo, basically all x700 series tractors are built on the same frame with the major differences being the above?
Doesn't look like they make the 740 anymore so wonder if the 750 took its place?
Anyone have an idea of what a 740 should sell for if it is in great condition and 250 hours?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes the X750 replaced the X740. The X730 replaced the X720. The X710 replaced the X700. There are really only 3 different X7xx models but they just rebadge them for every stinking option. I like how they did it better with the 425/445/455 where say you had a 425 or a 425 with AWS. Just the sheer amount of model numbers is what makes it confusing. I don't know why they cant just come up with a line up and leave the names alone when they upgrade something. Take the Ford F150 and Chevy Silverado for example. They have been produced for a LONG time and changed every few years but they are still called the F150 and Silverado. Why cant John Deere do that?

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
Different models to JD means significant changes to the machine. So instead of what year tractor do you have, it's what model. It narrows it down quickly for JD. They've done this forever, I doubt it'll ever change. Yes it is confusing at times, and yes, there are lots and lots of models.

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
Different models to JD means significant changes to the machine. So instead of what year tractor do you have, it's what model. It narrows it down quickly for JD. They've done this forever, I doubt it'll ever change. Yes it is confusing at times, and yes, there are lots and lots of models.

Agreed. I just wish JD would publish a list of "Model XYZ was superseded by Model ABC" and make it available to the public. They rely too much on "Corporate Knowledge" of their employees and dealers. In the Interwebs Age, people want to find this sort of info themselves instead of having to engage a sales rep at the dealership.

Just my view, but not having this sort of data out there is a huge disservice to their own customer base. They've done way to much shuffling of "This used to be in the ZZZZ Series but we re-designated our machines 2 years after that and made it a part of the YYYY series and then 4 years later it got re-designated again into the UUUU series...".

I bet the dealers get a LOT of people that come in and say "I have a 20-25 year old machine that I've loved. I want to buy the current version of that machine!"

·
Registered
130 Posts
Agreed. I just wish JD would publish a list of "Model XYZ was superseded by Model ABC" and make it available to the public. They rely too much on "Corporate Knowledge" of their employees and dealers. In the Interwebs Age, people want to find this sort of info themselves instead of having to engage a sales rep at the dealership.

Just my view, but not having this sort of data out there is a huge disservice to their own customer base. They've done way to much shuffling of "This used to be in the ZZZZ Series but we re-designated our machines 2 years after that and made it a part of the YYYY series and then 4 years later it got re-designated again into the UUUU series...".

I bet the dealers get a LOT of people that come in and say "I have a 20-25 year old machine that I've loved. I want to buy the current version of that machine!"
I agree! I liked how the garden tractors were with the 200, 300 and 400 series. It was simple.

The 200 series was the bare bones no frills garden tractors with manual lift and no power steering ect... electric lift was an option on a few models though.

The 300 series all had hydraulic lift and hydrostatic drive. Some had H2 hydraulics and some had power steering ect.

The 400 series was the heavy duty garden tractors and all had hydrostatic drive, power steering, H3 hydraulics, shaft driven trans and implements, and the option for rear PTO and 3 point hitch.

I also liked the old landing deer emblem but they cant even leave their emblems alone either. I'm not a fan of the new leaping deer emblem at all. It looks just like the deer crossing signs you see on the highways.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am thinking of trading in my 425 for a newer x700 series but am totally confused about all the different models, I am sure there is a difference for all the different numbers in the 700 series but I haven't figured it out yet! One I currently have my eye on is a X740 but really don't know how it compares to the other model numbers or what the differences are. Is there a break down somewhere that shows the differences or do they just come out with new numbers every year? Also wondering about the diesel compared to my old gas 425. Do those of you that have them, like them?
JD X700 Series - 2006 to Present:

X700 X710 - 2 Wheel Drive, 2 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Carburetor, Gas
X720 X730 - 2 Wheel Drive, 2 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Fuel Injected, Gas
X724 X734 - 2 Wheel Drive, 4 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Fuel Injected, Gas
X728 X738 - 4 Wheel Drive, 2 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Fuel Injected, Gas
X729 X739 - 4 Wheel Drive, 4 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Fuel Injected, Gas
X740 X750 - 2 Wheel Drive, 2 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Diesel
X744 X754 - 2 Wheel Drive, 4 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Diesel
X748 X758 - 4 Wheel Drive, 2 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Diesel
X749 – (Discontinued) - 4 Wheel Drive, 4 Wheel Steer, Liquid Cooled, Diesel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts