Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of all of the rain making the ground very wet, resulting in the 2025R turning areas of my yard into hog lot, I have ordered a new 2017 X739 to mow with. It will be delivered Wednesday, just in time for the next mowing. They have to bring it from another one of their stores. I did not think to ask about the RIO when I was at the dealer ship.

I did a search & also pulled up the online manual on the RIO. Those just confused me. The manual & youtube videos, show 2 RIO button locations. One location is the PTO switch on the right side of the steering wheel. The other location is a push button on the left side of the steering wheel. One guy on youtube used a clothed pin on the PTO switch. Another guy jumped the wires on the push button. I would like to bypass the RIO like I have done on all of my prior mowers.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The two switches are two separate ways to activate the RIO. You could use either, whichever is to your liking.

To bypass the RIO 'long term' you can pull the small round switch left of the steering wheel up out of its hole (use a small screwdriver or similar to pry it up - just friction fit) and then slide the plug off the switch's blades about 1/8" and wrap a piece of wire around the two blades. This closes the circuit. Put a piece of electrical tape around the blade area and push switch back down.

Rob

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The two switches are two separate ways to activate the RIO. You could use either, whichever is to your liking.

To bypass the RIO 'long term' you can pull the small round switch left of the steering wheel up out of its hole (use a small screwdriver or similar to pry it up - just friction fit) and then slide the plug off the switch's blades about 1/8" and wrap a piece of wire around the two blades. This closes the circuit. Put a piece of electrical tape around the blade area and push switch back down.

Rob
I seen the double switch set up on line. Thought it was kind of weird that the system had 2 switches. Guess it allows you to use either hand that you might have free. However on my old L108 without power steering I liked having both hands to turn the wheel. Usually because it doesn't turn as easy without the wheels rolling forward or backward.

This is how I did it on that tractor. I replaced that little push button switch with a plastic toggle switch from the auto parts store. Think the size of the dash hole was 1/2". Your tractor would have the best of both worlds. Switch off you can use the PTO switch on the right like intended. Lift to back up with the system engaged. The left switch on back up all you want.

I still had the factory push button switch around when I sold the tractor. Asked the new owner if he wanted me to find it. He said no. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an X738, and what I did, is pull outward on the RIO switch with some pliers, disconnect the connector behind the switch, jump the wires with flat blade connectors and some cable push the wire in, and put the RIO switch back in place. It's reversible.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have an X738, and what I did, is pull outward on the RIO switch with some pliers, disconnect the connector behind the switch, jump the wires with flat blade connectors and some cable push the wire in, and put the RIO switch back in place. It's reversible.
Same effect as what I described. You'll have a plug hanging around under the dash that might fall down into something else and may be hard to get back up through the hole if/when you want to reverse it though. My solution keeps the plug attached, which I felt was a good thing.

Rob

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know I'm skating out on thin ice here. I am like most people here do not like the nanny state that intertwines it to every darn thing we do. With that said, I have found I like the RIO switch. I usually like the snow blower shutting off when I hit the reverse pedal. This is especially true with my neighbors drives and all his decorative rocks. It is comforting me to know I can smash the reverse before I launch a stone through one of our windows.

It really has been no big deal. Now again, I only use my X728 to blow snow. If I mowed with it I would probably lead the march with burning torch in my hand.

isaac

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I'm skating out on thin ice here. I am like most people here do not like the nanny state that intertwines it to every darn thing we do. With that said, I have found I like the RIO switch. I usually like the snow blower shutting off when I hit the reverse pedal. This is especially true with my neighbors drives and all his decorative rocks. It is comforting me to know I can smash the reverse before I launch a stone through one of our windows.

It really has been no big deal. Now again, I only use my X728 to blow snow. If I mowed with it I would probably lead the march with burning torch in my hand.

isaac
I can see where the RIO would be a good safety feature for the snow blower. It would have come in handy for me a few times back when I had a snow blower.
The problem I have with the RIO is the number of times I have to use the reverse pedal when mowing, because of all of the objects I have to mow around. Hopefully that will be reduced by the 4 wheel steering.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I can see where the RIO would be a good safety feature for the snow blower. It would have come in handy for me a few times back when I had a snow blower.
The problem I have with the RIO is the number of times I have to use the reverse pedal when mowing, because of all of the objects I have to mow around. Hopefully that will be reduced by the 4 wheel steering.
I'm not seeing any value in RIO with a snowblower. Deere apparently doesn't either, because their newer x7-series have a special override for when the front PTO is running. If their lawyers don't worry about it I'm not sure what possible safety there is to be had? Plus, what a pain because I back up a TON when snowblowing.

Rob

·
Premium Member
14,713 Posts
My SIL father bought his x738 last spring. I talked with the shop foreman and instead of jumping any wires, I took the 2 bolts holding the switch under the floor board (located near the reverse pedal). Took the switch used some cable ties and tied it up under the frame. No wires jumped none spliced together .

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not seeing any value in RIO with a snowblower. Deere apparently doesn't either, because their newer x7-series have a special override for when the front PTO is running. If their lawyers don't worry about it I'm not sure what possible safety there is to be had? Plus, what a pain because I back up a TON when snowblowing.

Rob
Obviously you have never run a steel handle snow shovel or a couch cushion through a snow blower. In both cases, if the snow blower shut off when the reverse pedal was pushed, it would have saved me a lot of time that was spent cutting those off of the auger.

·
Registered
365 Posts

Rob
I back a almost as much as I go forward it seems. I see no value in running the snow blower while backing up.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Obviously you have never run a steel handle snow shovel or a couch cushion through a snow blower. In both cases, if the snow blower shut off when the reverse pedal was pushed, it would have saved me a lot of time that was spent cutting those off of the auger.
You're right, I have not. In almost 40 years of blowing snow in MN winters I've never run anything more than a rock though a blower. I guess I'm lucky.

Rob

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I back a almost as much as I go forward it seems. I see no value in running the snow blower while backing up.
True. But turning it back on every time after backing up would suck. So would waiting for the auger to spin back up. Not for me.

Rob

·
Registered
164 Posts
My SIL father bought his x738 last spring. I talked with the shop foreman and instead of jumping any wires, I took the 2 bolts holding the switch under the floor board (located near the reverse pedal). Took the switch used some cable ties and tied it up under the frame. No wires jumped none spliced together .
Hmm. I think I'll look into that. Thanks!! :bigthumb:
Ron

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm not a fan of cutting or splicing wires either. I like to be able to leave things as intact as possible to avoid future problems. That's why the solution I mentioned with the jumper is totally reversible and doesn't require any cutting, soldering, splicing, or other permanent change. Running a small wire between the two blades of the RIO switch simply simulates what happens when the switch button is pushed (contact closes and current flows). It's effectively the same as taping the button down, just not quite as redneck. With your solution you have to make sure that moved switch doesn't come loose and get caught in anything or have its wires mangled. I'm sure if you zip-tied it well it will be fine.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,674 Posts

Rob
That's pretty much what I did with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
True. But turning it back on every time after backing up would suck. So would waiting for the auger to spin back up. Not for me.

Rob
Which takes less than a second. I have that amount of time. Plus I'm not burning extra fuel nor wearing out the chain and sprockets while getting no production.

Out of the nine or so driveways I do, only one of them can I blow snow, turn around and blow snow on my way back to the street. The rest I have to back out of to make another pass. While backing, I can adjust the snout, (both direction and pitch), and set the PTO switch back to off. Hit the wipers if needed then drop the blower and hit the PTO. All while jamming to the radio. I guess I can multitask.

Isaac

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That's pretty much what I did with mine.
I like this almost as much as my switch idea. The hole plug is a nice touch.
However seeing your tractor has 2 RIO switches I'd still use an on/off switch that fits the hole on the left side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts