Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on which tillers are compatible with the x700 series?

Personally, I have an x740 with rear pto and 3ph. I'm looking for JD attachments or any other brand. I'd like to compare and am having a hard time finding results I can be confident in.

Thanks to all!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on which tillers are compatible with the x700 series?

Personally, I have an x740 with rear pto and 3ph. I'm looking for JD attachments or any other brand. I'd like to compare and am having a hard time finding results I can be confident in.

Thanks to all!
Your tractor is Rated at 18PTO HP and 450lbs for the 3point Hitch I wouldn't recommend getting a tiller That weighs that much You Can run a tiller that is rated for 20 PTO HP as well I wouldn't try beyond 20 PTO HP because I think tilling Performance suffers

I have Both the 42inch Hydraulic tiller which is Operated By the Mid PTO and I have a 647 tiller I had looked at the 42inch Frontier tiller and the 49inch Frontier tiller as well But at the time it was a 6 week wait to get either of the Frontier tillers. But could get a 647 within a few days so I went with the 647. I have had the 42inch Hydraulic tiller for almost 17 years 1st on My 2003 X485 then on my 2012 X748. Nice thing about the 42inch hydraulic tiller is You Can till forward or Back By just changing the tiller around on the 3point Hitch tiller frame.

Nice thing about the 540 RPM rear PTO tiller's is you can cut down crop residue with the mid Mount deck and till in one Pass

The Newer Pump Mounting system for the 42inch Hydraulic tiller(for signature series but will work on X465 Heavy Duty thru X749 Ultimate series ) is a Bit easier to Mount as You don't need to utilize the Mowing deck draft arms to mount the Pump

I also considered a Land Pride tiller In either forward or Back tilling rotation But My dealer stopped Carrying land pride at the time I didn't want to drive further to get one. Actually bought the 647 when I bought My former 1025RTLB as I wanted a tiller to work on both the X748 and 1025R and not have to Modify the drive shaft length the same applies for the Gen II 2025R I can use the 647 On either the X748 or 2025R and don't have to cut the drive shaft length down

King cutter will work On Your Tractors such as the sub compact tiller even some of the Tractor supply store Band will work as well (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. I have seen some videos of tillers hooking up to the mid pto. This seems a little tricky. With my setup, I would like to make use of the rear pto, as I think it will make setup easier. Do you have any recommendations for that style? I'm guessing it would hook up to the rear pto and the hydraulics would go to the front hydraulic on the tractor. I'm also confused about how a mechanical tiller works. My apologies for multiple questions in one message.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I have a 647 for my x748. It really doesn’t work it hard at all. If you buy a store brand, 48 inch or so, I’m sure it will be fine, but you will probably need to shorten the pto shaft. With the JD 647, you can make the dealer do it😁. I thought someone was trying to sell one here on the forum.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
I had a JD 450 tiller on a 445, it worked great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So both the hydraulic and mechanical tillers connect to the pto, correct? Is the mechanical different because it connects to the 540? I'm stumped about what differentiates these.

·
Registered
2021 X738
44 Posts
So both the hydraulic and mechanical tillers connect to the pto, correct? Is the mechanical different because it connects to the 540? I'm stumped about what differentiates these.
They both connect to a PTO yes, however the mechanical style connects to the PTO on the rear of the machine with a driveshaft.

The hydraulic style connects to the mid-PTO under the belly of the machine with a pump and lines that run to the tiller.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They both connect to a PTO yes, however the mechanical style connects to the PTO on the rear of the machine with a driveshaft.

The hydraulic style connects to the mid-PTO under the belly of the machine with a pump and lines that run to the tiller.
Ahh

I see, thank you. And I hear about mechanical tillers using a chain, is that right? And a slip clutch for protection?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I have a 647 for my x748. It really doesn’t work it hard at all. If you buy a store brand, 48 inch or so, I’m sure it will be fine, but you will probably need to shorten the pto shaft. With the JD 647, you can make the dealer do it😁. I thought someone was trying to sell one here on the forum.
647 usually come with the right length PTO shaft for the X700 series That same PTO shaft length can be used with the 1 series and 2025R Deere actually sells several Pre Cut lengths for the 647. Which the dealer Can order with the 647 so Nothing actually needs to be cut down (y)

Soannoyed another thing to Point out from the Pump driven Hydraulic tiller It can Prep Non tilled soil in One Pass better than the 647 or Just about any Mechanical Rear PTO driven where some of those May need Multiple Passes in the same Lane to get the soil the right consistency for Planting But that's about it Only real advantage over a 540RPM Mechanical Shaft driven tiller the Only other nice thing is It's not as Loud as a Mechanical tiller when engaging the ground since Mowing to My New House winter of 2016 I used the 647 from spring 2017 thru spring 2019 for Yearly ground Prep. Spring 2020 I used the Hydraulic tiller almost exclusively for tilling and cultivating again as I had done previously from spring 2004 thru spring 2016 In My case it wasn't a Problem because I could leave My X748 set up with the Hydraulic tiller as I have Other Garden and a Compact Tractors for other Jobs around the Property.

The advantage of a rear Mechanical driven tiller is You Can leave your deck Mounted and Locked Up for small tilling Jobs. Till drop the tiller and You Back to Mowing configuration fast where You would have to drop the Hydraulic tillers PTO Pump 1st before re-mounting the deck and in My case I would Have to remove the Pumps Driveshaft and put the driveshaft Back on the mowing deck. But since You have a rear PTO a Mechanical tiller will be Just fine for Your applications I had a rear PTO On My previous X485 and Never Used it except a few time with a PTO driven Broadcast spreader. That the advantage of the Hydraulic driven tiller No 540Rpm Rear PTO needed to Operate it (y)

·
Registered
2021 X738
44 Posts
Ahh

I see, thank you. And I hear about mechanical tillers using a chain, is that right? And a slip clutch for protection?
Slip clutch takes the place of a shear bolt. They are expensive in comparison but much nicer. They are only used with the mechanical, rear PTO set up.

As far as using a chain, it will depend on the brand how its designed but most that I've seen do run a chain to spin the tiller shaft. There are of course exceptions to that, there are brands that are all gear driven. They are typically more money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So we have the 647, 650, Land Pride, Frontier, and King Cutter.

For me, I think I'd prefer mechanical for ease of hook up and because they seem to be a little less expensive.

I guess the only other question for myself is do I just need to make sure it's cat 0 or cat 1 limited, and that the pto shaft is the right length? Anything I need to watch out for so I don't break my pto?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Deere 48" tiller (very heavy) on my 430 (1987 diesel garden tractor, 20 hp Yanmar). The tractor handles the tiller well, but it is probably the maximum size I would want on this tractor. I use 6 42 lb, suitcase weights on the front of the tractor when using the tiller to help with balance.

As with any other tractor/implement combination, you do not want to oversize the implement and lug (stress) the tractor. The 4' tiller covers wheel tracks when both rear wheels are in the narrow position (not good for stability so I leave them wide except when tilling).

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
So we have the 647, 650, Land Pride, Frontier, and King Cutter.

For me, I think I'd prefer mechanical for ease of hook up and because they seem to be a little less expensive.

I guess the only other question for myself is do I just need to make sure it's cat 0 or cat 1 limited, and that the pto shaft is the right length? Anything I need to watch out for so I don't break my pto?
The Limited Cat 1 is the same width as a Normal Cat 1 Cat 0 are usually 6inches Narrower at the Hitch ends Basically any tiller On the Market that is Cat 1 and doesn't weight over 450lbs or Need More than 20HP to run You should be fine with . Cat 0 really is a dead category for 3 point Hitch Implements. There are some Minor Manufacturers still making Cat 0 But More then Likely you will find a Cat 1 that will fit Cat 1 can usually fit a Cat 0 with the Pins Facing in. But Cat 0 to Cat 1 can Be a Issue. If Looking for used Be Careful of Deere Cat 0 as some rear tillers may need a 2000RPM rear PTO to run them if It was mounted On a JD 316Onan to a 430 Cannot be run on your X740 without extensive modification where the Cost will exceed a New Cat 1 tillers cost.

Which 3 point do you have on your X740 is the question? Cat 0 & Limited Cat 1 both were Optional and are still optional on the X700 signature series as well. Another tiller to Be careful of is the Deere 450 it was available In Both Cat 0 & Cat 1 Just need a new 3 point Frame which is a couple of Hundred either way I had a Cat 0 450 On a JD 425 and when the X400/X500 heavy duty series(same as a X700 Ultimate series) Came out the 450 was the tiller available for it in Cat 0 or Cat 1

Are You going to be using this tiller in a Really rocky ,rooted or Heavy clay soil ? In all situations I say go slow and don't Go as deep on your 1st Pass On Soil That hasn't been tilled before because it gives You a bit of time to react if there are Hidden Objects In your tilling area. I have Jammed Rocks In the tiller Housing But I have yet to Damage the Rear PTO on the Tractor or the tiller driveshaft But the soil is Pretty good Hear In Northeast IL I have to dig 3 feet before I hit any clay in My current Property which is on a Old Horse Pasture which was Never Plowed for Crop work in it's history went from IL prairie to Percheron Horse Pasture. to Hose development where the soil wasn't stripped.

Now My younger Brother is a service Manager for a Deere dealer the Tilling issues he has seen with Damaged PTO or tillers is when somebody tries to Till deep On there fist Pass on virgin ground that probably hadn't been tilled in 20 years and That was On a JD 2720 damaged the tractor side PTO stub shaft The same customer actually did the same Damage twice (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The soil I'll be working on is mostly clay here, east TN. Might be some small rocks but nothing much to sorry about for this particular spot I'm in. I will definitely be patient and take it easy on the first couple passes.

Is there a way for me to identify which hitch I have? I bought this machine used last year and it came with the goodies. Really enjoying it too.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
yes
The soil I'll be working on is mostly clay here, east TN. Might be some small rocks but nothing much to sorry about for this particular spot I'm in. I will definitely be patient and take it easy on the first couple passes.

Is there a way for me to identify which hitch I have? I bought this machine used last year and it came with the goodies. Really enjoying it too.
Yes here you go
Cat 0
Screenshot_2021-03-23 3 point hitch fit 318,322,330,332,420 430 John Deere CAT 0 Tractor Ruegg...png

Limited Cat 1
Screenshot_2021-03-23 John Deere Category 1 3-Point Hitch Kit - BM23882.png

Look at How the Cat 0 arms connect to the rocker shaft then Look at how the Limited Cat 1 arms connect at the Rocker shaft (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words! Looks like I have a limited cat 1. Thank you for clarifying that!

My takeaway from this discussion:

For an X700 series

Verify 3ph category

Tiller needs to weigh less than 450lbs
Tiller needs to be rated 20hp or less
Make sure PTO shaft is correct length
If mechanical, make sure it's geared for 540 rpm
If mechanical, can cut with deck on
If hydraulic, need to remove deck
If hydraulic, can till forward or reverse

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words! Looks like I have a limited cat 1. Thank you for clarifying that!

For an X700 series

Verify 3ph category

You got it (y)
Good Luck In Your Purchase
Land Pride does Make a reverse tine tiller beside forward Tine But they Can't be switched around like the Deere Hydraulic tiller really I don't see the Point of the reverse Tine In Garden applications after the 1st till is done

·
Registered
950 Posts

For an X700 series

Verify 3ph category

All those, plus the overall diameter of the rotating assembly. Since the X7's have a "Limited" Cat 1 hitch, they can't lift as high, partly because the rear wheels aren't as tall and the hitch lift arms are closer to the ground as a result. There are other companies that make tillers specifically designed for compact and subcompact tractors that take this into account, and the slightly smaller diameter allows for more ground clearance when lifted, without significantly impacting how well the tiller works.

Land Pride is one of them, and they make an excellent piece of equipment. They are now owned by Kubota, so I don't know how that will affect things, but they are American made. I've had two of their rotary PTO-driven tillers, one forward rotation and standard diameter, which I used behind a Yanmar paddy tractor for several years. It went with the Yanmar when I sold it to buy my X748. I then bought another Land Pride, made for subcompacts, and opted for a reverse-rotation model, specifically the RTR-0550, which is 50" wide, and easily covered both rear tire tracks. It weighed about 355 pounds, easily lifted by the X7, and has a Cat 0/Cat 1 hitch, so can be used with either type hitch.

Most all rotary tillers use an enclosed chain drive on one end, that can be either manual or auto tension adjust, depending on maker and model. The PTO drives a gearbox, which drives a shaft along the top of the tiller to the side where the chain drive is. The lower part of the chain drive runs in a gear oil bath, which keeps the chain and sprocket lubricated, as well as the tine shaft bearing on that end. The other tine shaft bearing has a grease fitting, as does the top chain sprocket.

A slip clutch is the best way to go for driveline protection, but must be properly adjusted to work correctly, and at the beginning of each season, if the tiller sits for a few months, the clutch should be loosened, plates spun to clean them, then readjusted. Takes about ten minutes, part of normal maintenance.

Here's what the Land Pride tiller I have looks like on an X7, as well as a 2-series compact. It is still wide enough to cover the tracks on my 2520, and tills plenty deep, even though it is a smaller diameter tiller.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts