Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on which tillers are compatible with the x700 series?

Personally, I have an x740 with rear pto and 3ph. I'm looking for JD attachments or any other brand. I'd like to compare and am having a hard time finding results I can be confident in.

Thanks to all!

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. I have seen some videos of tillers hooking up to the mid pto. This seems a little tricky. With my setup, I would like to make use of the rear pto, as I think it will make setup easier. Do you have any recommendations for that style? I'm guessing it would hook up to the rear pto and the hydraulics would go to the front hydraulic on the tractor. I'm also confused about how a mechanical tiller works. My apologies for multiple questions in one message.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They both connect to a PTO yes, however the mechanical style connects to the PTO on the rear of the machine with a driveshaft.

The hydraulic style connects to the mid-PTO under the belly of the machine with a pump and lines that run to the tiller.
Ahh
They both connect to a PTO yes, however the mechanical style connects to the PTO on the rear of the machine with a driveshaft.

The hydraulic style connects to the mid-PTO under the belly of the machine with a pump and lines that run to the tiller.

I see, thank you. And I hear about mechanical tillers using a chain, is that right? And a slip clutch for protection?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So we have the 647, 650, Land Pride, Frontier, and King Cutter.

For me, I think I'd prefer mechanical for ease of hook up and because they seem to be a little less expensive.

I guess the only other question for myself is do I just need to make sure it's cat 0 or cat 1 limited, and that the pto shaft is the right length? Anything I need to watch out for so I don't break my pto?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The soil I'll be working on is mostly clay here, east TN. Might be some small rocks but nothing much to sorry about for this particular spot I'm in. I will definitely be patient and take it easy on the first couple passes.

Is there a way for me to identify which hitch I have? I bought this machine used last year and it came with the goodies. Really enjoying it too.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words! Looks like I have a limited cat 1. Thank you for clarifying that!

My takeaway from this discussion:

For an X700 series

Verify 3ph category

Tiller needs to weigh less than 450lbs
Tiller needs to be rated 20hp or less
Make sure PTO shaft is correct length
If mechanical, make sure it's geared for 540 rpm
If mechanical, can cut with deck on
If hydraulic, need to remove deck
If hydraulic, can till forward or reverse

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.