Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I did a post on this and will revert. But Is there something very simple that you guys just attach to the battery and plug in to the wall outlet to trickle feed and not overcharge or damage the battery?

I rarely use the x758 all winter except during snow storms and it’s right beside an outlet

If it’s useful I have a lead going usually to my rear mounted sprayer, but it’s probably a connection I can use to attach to the charger

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Hi guys

I did a post on this and will revert. But Is there something very simple that you guys just attach to the battery and plug in to the wall outlet to trickle feed and not overcharge or damage the battery?

I rarely use the x758 all winter except during snow storms and it’s right beside an outlet
I use a Battery Tender and the one I use can actually charge at a rate higher than trickle charge. For your purposes, simply using the basic Battery Tender should be adequate.

For example, here is the basic one with a minimal charge rate. I put this on my Commercial Zero Turn mower battery which the mower is parked all winter and doesn't move. This works great for that use. In the spring, the battery is ready to go.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 8V, 1.25A Battery Charger: Automotive

For my tractor, I wanted a battery tender to actually manage the battery and also be able to charge at higher rate if necessary and below is a link to the Battery Tender I use on that unit......Heck of a price on this one on Amazon right now, its half price.....

I think I have 5 or 6 battery tenders on various equipment, including the back up generator, tractor, zero turn, John Deere 1025r, my Harley, etc.

I have had issues in cold weather where the minimal Battery Tender couldn't charge at a rate high enough to keep the battery fully charged with the cold and also some electrical draw on the system from electronic items. That's why I went with the more expensive unit as it can charge at a higher rate and its designed to maintain the battery a little better than the basic unit. Read the technical details for the differences. I am very pleased with it...........

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 12V, 5A Battery Charger: Automotive

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi guys

I use a Battery Tender and the one I use can actually charge at a rate higher than trickle charge. For your purposes, simply using the basic Battery Tender should be adequate.

For example, here is the basic one with a minimal charge rate. I put this on my Commercial Zero Turn mower battery which the mower is parked all winter and doesn't move. This works great for that use. In the spring, the battery is ready to go.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 8V, 1.25A Battery Charger: Automotive

For my tractor, I wanted a battery tender to actually manage the battery and also be able to charge at higher rate if necessary and below is a link to the Battery Tender I use on that unit......Heck of a price on this one on Amazon right now, its half price.....

I think I have 5 or 6 battery tenders on various equipment, including the back up generator, tractor, zero turn, John Deere 1025r, my Harley, etc.

I have had issues in cold weather where the minimal Battery Tender couldn't charge at a rate high enough to keep the battery fully charged with the cold and also some electrical draw on the system from electronic items. That's why I went with the more expensive unit as it can charge at a higher rate and its designed to maintain the battery a little better than the basic unit. Read the technical details for the differences. I am very pleased with it...........

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 12V, 5A Battery Charger: Automotive
Thanks for this man! I just ordered the 12v 5 amp version, bundle, it comes with the adapter then which I think I can just connect to the existing electrical line in place for my tank sprayer.

$34? I mean are they normally that cheap? Sounds dirt cheap

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any thoughts on this option.

Would a 3.5 amp version also help charge auto batteries? If I could buy one to use on both when needed that would be great

The charger I got is the 3.5amp version. They make ones both bigger and smaller. Amazon.com: NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive
The dash mounted plug is this one. The wire on it is plenty long to reach the battery in the front of the tractor. Amazon.com: NOCO GC016 X-Connect 12V Dashmount Battery Indicator: Automotive
NOCO makes a lot of accessories and different style plug for their chargers as well. So far they have all held up great, all their stuff seems built well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The Noco charger is popular round these parts. I really like mine. The dash mounted charging port really makes plugging into the battery tender a snap.
I've got the 3.5amp version for my x738.

You can see the dash mounted plug on mine right next to the throttle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Thanks for this man! I just ordered the 12v 5 amp version, bundle, it comes with the adapter then which I think I can just connect to the existing electrical line in place for my tank sprayer.

$34? I mean are they normally that cheap? Sounds dirt cheap
I use the 1.25 amp Battery Tenders like Sulley posted.
I have 5 i thinknow in use. They are for maintaining top condition during storage, not for "charging". Though they will charge them given enough time.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I use the 1.25 amp Battery Tenders like Sulley posted.
I have 5 i thinknow in use. They are for maintaining top condition during storage, not for "charging". Though they will charge them given enough time.
I have one for everything that has a battery including my generator.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Any thoughts on this option.

Would a 3.5 amp version also help charge auto batteries? If I could buy one to use on both when needed that would be great

The charger I got is the 3.5amp version. They make ones both bigger and smaller. Amazon.com: NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive
The dash mounted plug is this one. The wire on it is plenty long to reach the battery in the front of the tractor. Amazon.com: NOCO GC016 X-Connect 12V Dashmount Battery Indicator: Automotive
NOCO makes a lot of accessories and different style plug for their chargers as well. So far they have all held up great, all their stuff seems built well.
Any "battery maintainer" is going to be a float charger and won't overcharge a battery. I have about 5 or 6 vehicles of one kind or another in storage, all on Battery Tenders, all left on all winter. Mostly I use ordinary battery clamps, but a few, like my 1023E, have a permanent two-connector plug direct-wired to the batter. The only thing I do periodically is peek at them every so often to make sure that the little light on them is still green. Some people living in northern climates (like me) go to great pains to pull their batteries and store them indoors every winter. That's pointless....a fully-charged battery won't freeze until somewhere between -50F and -75F.

The charging capacity is irrelevant, it only determines how long it takes to charge. I just use the little Battery Tenders, but you can get "float chargers/maintainers" in a wide variety of charging rates. I have one of these SC1304 15A 6V/12V Fully Automatic Battery Charger | Schumacher Electric , which will charge at 15 amps and then drop back to a 3 amp maintenance float charge from then on. I rarely use it, and rely all winter on just the various 1.25 amp to 800mA Battery Tenders Battery Tender Junior 12V 800 Selectable Lead Acid/Lithium Charger .

I have a 120 gallon gasoline storage tank on wheels that I use for refueling boats and rolling stock around here. The 12volt Tuthill pump runs off a little lawn tractor battery that is on one of these 24/7/365 including Minnesota winters. Last time I ever had to replace that batter was about 5 years ago when it died and sulfated after the GFI it was plugged into tripped, unbeknownst to me.

Bottom line....any battery maintainer will work just fine for you. I buy the Battery Tenders mainly because they're cheap, and I need a lot of them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Noco charger is popular round these parts. I really like mine. The dash mounted charging port really makes plugging into the battery tender a snap.
I've got the 3.5amp version for my x738.

You can see the dash mounted plug on mine right next to the throttle.
I got this Noco 3.5 amp and I’ll mount it like you did. I like how you did that. My 2016-17 dash is different, but it appears where the 12v DC writing is is a box that may be able to be popped out and I can put this outlet in.

·
Administrator
16,804 Posts
I think we have at least 5 Battery Tender Jr's around here for the tractors (2) and motorcycles (3).

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
I'm sold on the Deltran Battery Tender Plus!:) Bought one a few years back for my 2520, and just realized I need one for the X390! Especially now that it will be sitting dormant all winter!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like we are all thinking the same thing for winter! And if not hopefully some people have seen the thread

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sounds like we are all thinking the same thing for winter! And if not hopefully some people have seen the thread
Agreed. IMHO, any battery maintainer is a good battery maintainer and will work great for maintaining batteries. The MasterCraft dealer that winterizes my ski boat can't fathom the concept that I wouldn't want the boat batteries disconnected for winter storage. I've tried to explain the concept to the service guy but the discussion always comes down to "just leave it connected please". He shakes his head and says something under his breath that sounds like it includes the word "moron".

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. IMHO, any battery maintainer is a good battery maintainer and will work great for maintaining batteries. The MasterCraft dealer that winterizes my ski boat can't fathom the concept that I wouldn't want the boat batteries disconnected for winter storage. I've tried to explain the concept to the service guy but the discussion always comes down to "just leave it connected please". He shakes his head and says something under his breath that sounds like it includes the word "moron".
I’d be finding a new guy! I’m sick of the attitudes lately and your the customer at the end of the day! It’s arrogance

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you leave yours on the battery tender all year or just winter?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Do you leave yours on the battery tender all year or just winter?
I leave my tenders on year round. Since they are automatic, why not? :good2:

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Yep! Year 'round! As posted, why not! Surely won't hurt anything!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Usually year round, but I also don’t always bother to hook it up after use in the summer where I’m on the tractor every 3-4 days to mow. I got a Norco and popped out a blank switch hole and added their plug so it is super easy to hook up. I also got an extension that I wrapped over my shed door’s frame so it hangs down near the console so I don’t need to step over the wire on the floor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BatteryMINDer is what you want

Hi guys

If it’s useful I have a lead going usually to my rear mounted sprayer, but it’s probably a connection I can use to attach to the charger

Several people have commented on here with "battery tender"... but IMO what you really want and need is a "BatteryMINDer" or similar product. the battery minder has a desulfate mode and this is what truly saves your battery. Others will keep it charged. but this will keep it charged AND make it last.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use CTek now after having problems with the Battery Tenders. I had at least six of them. A couple failed and dealer wouldn't stand behind them. One was less than a year old and he would not replace it. CTek is very good. I feel very comfortable that they will not damage my batteries. They can also rejuvinate a bad battery. That saved a battery I would have junked. I am still using it 2 years later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts