Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has a 2006 X720 with 1055 hours on the lot. It has the 62 inch deck and it's has the "Special Edition" label on the rear of the fender deck. No 3 point. Overall it's in fair to good shape. Starts right up with a bit of blue smoke which instantly goes away. Drives good, differential lock works as it should, pto works, etc. The one thing was when I first lift and lowered the deck there was some noise, but it only did it on the first go through. I don't like where the battery is located, which is a big negative for me, but I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to get to.

He also has a 2004 Cub Cadet 5252E with 60 inch deck, 3 point hitch, with 227 hours. For those who aren't familiar with that model, it's a pretty big garden tractor, maybe a bit heavier than the X720. It has a 25 hp Kohler Command air cooled engine, 2 speed hydrostatic transmission, rear pto, rops, hydraulic lift, power steering, car size battery (which is easy to get to). It looks to be in decent shape, though I question the hours due to the front tire wear (the dealer put a new tire on the left front because the old one wouldn't hold air).

Both of these are the same price, so in all honestly, price isn't what I'm considering. I'm just want to see what other X720 owners think of it, itself, and what issues they have had, etc. I really don't need either one, and that's the option I probably will go in, but I do like the size of both machines and it would be nice to have another mowing machine.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures of the aforementioned X720.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2010 X720 and love it. The battery location does stink but taking the hood off (easy no tools required) let's you get at it really easy.

I hardwired a battery tender cable to the battery and ran the cable to the side of the tractor where the oil fill dipstick is. This way I can hook up my battery tender really easy and not mess with the hood.

IMHO, I would keep looking for a X720 with lower hours. Good luck with the decision! ?

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
My only concern with the cub cadet is parts availability.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My only concern with the cub cadet is parts availability.
I went to the CC website parts page and plugged the model # in, it came back with no hits. Did you run the Cub any? Ride around on it turn the deck on and off, operate the lifts, etc.? My question about it would be why it was traded with such low time on it, especially at its age (15 years). You wouldn't think it had been used commercially, though. Do you need the rear PTO or lift? You mention you don't really need either tractor, but it would be nice to have another mower.

The X720 looks pretty good in the pictures, can't see any fine detail. The SE model should also have a brush guard in addition to the nice seat, front fenders and "spoked" wheels. It's nice to have, and when mounted, folds over if you need to open the hood. It's certainly been used, but the time only comes out to about 80 hrs./year. I averaged 120 on my X748, and engine types notwithstanding, the mechanicals worked perfectly after 11 years (mine was a 2008). A small puff of smoke that immediately disappears after starting is probably a start-up enrichment. The Kawasaki engine is pretty stout and trouble free if properly maintained.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
The Cub 5252E is Cub Cadets first entry Into the Sub Compact Market. They Made one 2WD Model That came standard with a 60inch deck. They were decent enough Machines. They were Loader Capable. They Just were Not Big sellers You Can still get Parts for them from Your Local Cub Cadet dealer. I don't Know about attachments such as a Loader They Might have a loader sitting in a MTD warehouse. I know Original Cab still make a Cab for them. The 3point is a Limited Cat 1 as Far as it only lifts 680Lbs at 24inches

All that X720 is a X485 with Different Decals & That one Just has the fenders the SE seat and Brush-guard and the styled rims so It is slightly Different From the Later X720's as The Hydraulic cylinder is In the Middle like the Previous X400 series so In order to Put a 3point Hitch on it You will not have to relocated the Hydraulic cylinder Like You Have to do On 2008 and Later Models Almost all Current X700 signature series Attachment will fit On it Including the Mowing decks as long as the Deck are set Up without auto Connect. So attachment wise the X720 is Probably a Better Buy. If You want to Put wheel weights on it you need to Buy the adapter ring Kit. It goes On the Back side of the rims and Provides Hole for Mounting the weights Threaded Rods

X485/X720 was one of the Best Garden tractors I owned Very Capable Machine:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
T-Mo, the SE seat makes this a no brainer!:good2::)

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts
The ROPS on the Cub for a mowing machine is a big detraction. Plus, it doesn't fold so what you see is what you get. Not too many lawns with trees around here where the ROPS would clear the lower limbs and the first time you forget, its a very "strong" reminder when the ROPS catches a solid limb........

I think its interesting the two machines with such different hours are the same asking price. The Deere has 4X the hours on it, I assure you if the Deere was low hours like the Cub Cadet and the Cub was at 1,000 plus hours, the price differential would be much greater..........

Go Deere.......

Reactions: KHodges and glc

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know the dealership your looking at. I deal with them over at Ste. Gen. I'd go with the Deere. A lot more of them around than the Cub your looking at would making finding parts down the road easier. . Of course you got Fleigs out there, so you could get parts for the Cub ok I guess. Did you check all the Nobbe locations to see what esle they have? They will bring one from another location if you see one you like.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys. I have been dealing with this dealer for years and have bought several tractors/equipment/parts from them. They know me by name, so they treat me well. I even thad them move other tractors from one of their other dealerships to this one so I could look the tractor over. I bought a LT150 for my son-in-law this way. William Nobbe has dealerships in Missouri and Illinois both.

The ROPS on the Cub isn't foldable which makes them useless in my opinion. As mentioned, getting under trees would be a problem. The ROPS is removable by removing 4 bolts on each side. Not very convenient. There is a dealer decal from Virginia, so it's not a local tractor and so I don't think the dealer has a history on it. Having the 3 point would be nice to have and would let me pick up a couple of implements for it. I do have some concerns about the hours - as if the hour meter isn't working or wasn't working in the past. I drove the tractor around, used the differential lock, engage and disengage the deck, etc. It ran good and seem to drive good. I did not put it in the low range though.

The X720 has this dealer's decal on it, so I'm sure I can get some history from it from the main salesman. Scott probably sold it to the original owner. It ran good, smooth, and I also engage and disengage the deck. I'm not crazy about the location of the battery - a major issue for me. May not be a show stopper, but still.... My wife likes the Deere better as it drives about the same as her X320 does, just a bit bigger. If I buy it, I may have them put a new battery in it and then put a battery tender on it as mentioned above.

It's really becomes more of a question of whether or not I'm willing to purchase either one of them since I'm don't really need either of them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I can't see the issue with the location of the battery. With the hood tilted forward, there's plenty of space to get to the posts if you need to jump it, and the hood comes off in about 10 seconds if you need better access. On the X7, there's nowhere else to put it anyway, and it sort of makes sense for something heavy to be up front over the axle.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Thanks, guys. I have been dealing with this dealer for years and have bought several tractors/equipment/parts from them. They know me by name, so they treat me well. I even thad them move other tractors from one of their other dealerships to this one so I could look the tractor over. I bought a LT150 for my son-in-law this way. William Nobbe has dealerships in Missouri and Illinois both.

The ROPS on the Cub isn't foldable which makes them useless in my opinion. As mentioned, getting under trees would be a problem. The ROPS is removable by removing 4 bolts on each side. Not very convenient. There is a dealer decal from Virginia, so it's not a local tractor and so I don't think the dealer has a history on it. Having the 3 point would be nice to have and would let me pick up a couple of implements for it. I do have some concerns about the hours - as if the hour meter isn't working or wasn't working in the past. I drove the tractor around, used the differential lock, engage and disengage the deck, etc. It ran good and seem to drive good. I did not put it in the low range though.

The X720 has this dealer's decal on it, so I'm sure I can get some history from it from the main salesman. Scott probably sold it to the original owner. It ran good, smooth, and I also engage and disengage the deck. I'm not crazy about the location of the battery - a major issue for me. May not be a show stopper, but still.... My wife likes the Deere better as it drives about the same as her X320 does, just a bit bigger. If I buy it, I may have them put a new battery in it and then put a battery tender on it as mentioned above.

It's really becomes more of a question of whether or not I'm willing to purchase either one of them since I'm don't really need either of them.
Terry quit being stubborn:laugh: Time to Get something that will give You a Hand Maybe You Can get the salesman to throw a 3point hitch In with the X720:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have narrow down my options here to either purchasing the X720 or just walking away - I pretty much ruled out the CC. The dealer would have to greatly reduce the price on it for me to think about it more.

I did find a 3 point install instructions online for the tractors X4X5/X5X5 and above. It gives instructions for both the older X series as well as the newer X series. It's for kit BM23882. I'm sure that's the 3 point kit that I would need if I first, buy the X720 and second, if I want a 3 point on it. The kit is about $680. The dealer likes me, but I doubt not that much.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Glad to see that you've passed on the CUB. That particular tractor was almost a one of a kind and sold by CUB as a SCUT. The 720 looks pretty good and if you have a burning sensation in your pocket that's the way to go IMO. You really need to put the 3pt hitch on it. Once on it you can do anything you want. Have fun, good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Glad to see that you've passed on the CUB. That particular tractor was almost a one of a kind and sold by CUB as a SCUT. The 720 looks pretty good and if you have a burning sensation in your pocket that's the way to go IMO. You really need to put the 3pt hitch on it. Once on it you can do anything you want. Have fun, good luck.
The Cub wasn't just sold as a SCUT it was a SCUT. It was designed to compete with the JD 2210. There were two other Models In the Line That has shift-able 4WD The 5254 with a Kawasaki LC Gas and the 5234D with a 3cylinder Daihatsu LC Diesel.

A 812 Loader with 550Lbs Capacity at Max height and there was a Optional Backhoe as well.

The 5252 weighed 1,350Lbs with a 60inch deck

The 5254 weighed 1,267lbs

The 5234d weighed 1,350lbs
540Rear PTO & 2000RPM Mid PTO were standard with a Optional front PTO

5252 had a 28inch turn radius.

The 4WD models had a 35inch Turn radius.

They were all 77inches tall with the fixed ROPS except the 5264 which had Fold-Able ROPS was 82inches Tall

In 2006 MTD/Cub Came out with the 5264 which had a Fold-able ROPS it replaced 5234D same tractor with Fold-Able ROPS

The 5252 had a List Price of $7,000

The 5254 had a List Price of $8,400

The 5234D had a List Price $9,299

The 5264 had a list Price $9,500

So really Not that Bad for a SCUT. Cub sold the 5000 series from 2004 till 2008 when it was replaced By the Yanmar/Cub SC2400 series. Yanmar Jumped out of the Partnership In Late 2011.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
103 Posts
there are bad stories on the internet of the cub 5252 transmission going out and allowing them to freewheel down hills. good call on passing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
You have done well my son. Be happy and content as thou exploreth thine benefits of the X7xx series.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts