Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 X728 - 54" mower, 45 loader. 1972 140 H3.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ’08 X728 and recently purchased an NOS, 47 QuickHitch snow blower. It is just the blower and no attachments. Here are the parts I’m sure I need:
Quick Hitch – BM26236
Front PTO Kit – BM25305
Now here is the part I’m not sure of, the drive shaft that goes from the blower to the front of the tractor. I think I need a Drive Shaft, AM148739 which lists for $463.82. JD has an Implement Drive Shaft and Up Stop, BM25772 which lists for $321.00, and from what I was told, has the AM148739 Drive Shaft included. Anyone know if this is correct and is the drive shaft, I need the AM148739? I don’t understand why Deere would charge more for just the drive shaft than the drive shaft and up stop. Anyone know? Also, I got a bag of parts with the blower with the p/n AM109102 sticker on it. I searched on the JD parts catalog site and couldn’t find any information on the part number. Attached is a picture of all the parts that were in the bag. I know the black bars and black screws are for the chute attachment. The two silver flanged bolts and silver flanged nylon lock nuts I assume are for attaching the drift cutter to the blower. Is this correct? Can anyone tell me what the big pin with the two rings and chain, the hair pin and the wire tie are for?
AM109102.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Now here is the part I’m not sure of, the drive shaft that goes from the blower to the front of the tractor. I think I need a Drive Shaft, AM148739 which lists for $463.82. JD has an Implement Drive Shaft and Up Stop, BM25772 which lists for $321.00, and from what I was told, has the AM148739 Drive Shaft included. Anyone know if this is correct and is the drive shaft, I need the AM148739? I don’t understand why Deere would charge more for just the drive shaft than the drive shaft and up stop. Anyone know?
This is very common with JD parts. The sales "kits" often cost much less than the individual parts within them. The quick hitch for example... to purchase the two large steel parts costs around $1200 yet you can buy an entire quick hitch sales "kit" which includes the cylinder and hoses for around $700.

Also, I got a bag of parts with the blower with the p/n AM109102 sticker on it. I searched on the JD parts catalog site and couldn’t find any information on the part number. Attached is a picture of all the parts that were in the bag. I know the black bars and black screws are for the chute attachment. The two silver flanged bolts and silver flanged nylon lock nuts I assume are for attaching the drift cutter to the blower. Is this correct? Can anyone tell me what the big pin with the two rings and chain, the hair pin and the wire tie are for?
View attachment 781140
The three black steel parts are chute rotation guides and the screws are used to retain them. What I am not sure of is why they are including them when the chute already has them. I wonder if they are an improvement over the original design?

The large pin is a lock pin for your quick hitch. It goes into a hole to prevent the hitch from pivoting left and right. You would then remove the pin when using a front blade. Does your quick hitch have the angling cylinder installed?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Here's the deal on the black bolts. It looks like after a certain S/N JD changed the P/N on the bolts. If we still had access to the legacy JD Parts system we could go in and look at the detailed specifications for these bolts. But on the current system we can only speculate on the differences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply jgayman. I don't have a quick hitch yet. I got just the blower in a shipping crate with the chute and drift cutter and the bag of hardware inside the crate. The chute wasn't attached to the blower. I have to get a quick hitch and the front pto kit which has the driveshaft that goes from the hydro to the front axle. That kit also contains the shaft, bearings, etc, that goes through the front axle. The item I'm not sure of is the drive shaft that goes from the blower to the front of the tractor. I know there are two different length shafts available. I'm hoping the one in the kit, BM25772 is the correct one.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Thanks for the reply jgayman. I don't have a quick hitch yet. I got just the blower in a shipping crate with the chute and drift cutter and the bag of hardware inside the crate. The chute wasn't attached to the blower. I have to get a quick hitch and the front pto kit which has the driveshaft that goes from the hydro to the front axle. That kit also contains the shaft, bearings, etc, that goes through the front axle. The item I'm not sure of is the drive shaft that goes from the blower to the front of the tractor. I know there are two different length shafts available. I'm hoping the one in the kit, BM25772 is the correct one.
Ahh... that explains why the brackets and bolts were in the bag. The bolts on my 54-inch blower were very brittle. I went to check them for tightness and several broke right off with very little effort. Some broke the flange and others broke off flush with the hole. As a precaution I replaced all six of them.

I found the difference in the bolts. The later serial number bolts are black self taping bolts. I guess JD went this route to eliminate the time spent to tap the holes in the housing.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ahh... that explains why the brackets and bolts were in the bag. The bolts on my 54-inch blower were very brittle. I went to check them for tightness and several broke right off with very little effort. Some broke the flange and others broke off flush with the hole. As a precaution I replaced all six of them.

View attachment 781185

I found the difference in the bolts. The later serial number bolts are black self taping bolts. I guess JD went this route to eliminate the time spent to tap the holes in the housing.

View attachment 781186
The original bolts and the new bolts you have shown are "tri-lobe" self taping bolts. The will cut threads into a predrilled hole. They will also allow the bolt to be removed and re-used without damaging the hole.

The new style might allow them to skip the predrilled holes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple of close up shots of the bolts in the bag. chute bolt -1.jpg chute bolt -2.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts