Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post on GTT although I've used the sight many times for information.

I'm looking to buy an X7xx mostly because of the heavy construction and durability. I only have a 1/2 acre to mow but a couple of decent hills. I plan on getting the 54" deck and snow blade. I've looked through the forums and it appears the newer 4wd mowers don't scuff grass in turns and they handle pavement just fine. I've seen several forums discussing the 738 vs. the 758 but nothing about 2WD vs 4WD for lighter duty like I have.

For this type of work I don't know if the X730 will be just fine or if the X738 is worth the extra money. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
My X585 is 4wd but there is a couple spots where I would hit the 4wd because it is just steep enough to slip at times. It is manual on mine and it will scuff the ground. This is where the AWD would be nice since you mention the hills. Mine is shaft drive to the front axle where the new ones (AWD) are hydraulic. Not sure how it detects slippage and automatically kicks in but I haven't seen any complaints about it with scuffing. The only real drawback is that it would rob some of the hydraulic power from the system when it kicked in. Since this really only applies to FEL for the most part it isn't a big deal.

In my case I was looking at the X739 (AWD+4WS), 1 series, 2 series and Z9xx. The lack of FEL on the X739 eliminated that and the all the X-series for me. Ended up with the X950R and keeping the X585.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If your just going to have one you mine as well have one with all.The first time you need awd and don't have you'll be kicking yourself.If you have it and need to use it you'll be glad you have it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Never owned an AWD unit but I was curious about them. Seen a landscaping outfit in a parking lot where I was at that had one. I went to look at it and one of the guys came over. So I asked him about it. He said they use it all the time for mowing and don't have a problem with it at all. Leaves no marks on the grass and works great on cement too. That's all I know about them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the X739. I bought it mainly for the AWD. I got tired of putting chains on my old 425 for snow plowing. Get the AWD. As for scuffing the ground: it can happen. Though it's rare. Happens to me on sharp turns up hill on wet ground. Inside tire will sometimes pull up the grass. Not real prevalent though and if you go slow it won't happen if you avoid spinning.

·
Premium Member
14,751 Posts
Go for the awd you'll be happier.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post on GTT although I've used the sight many times for information.

I'm looking to buy an X7xx mostly because of the heavy construction and durability. I only have a 1/2 acre to mow but a couple of decent hills. I plan on getting the 54" deck and snow blade. I've looked through the forums and it appears the newer 4wd mowers don't scuff grass in turns and they handle pavement just fine. I've seen several forums discussing the 738 vs. the 758 but nothing about 2WD vs 4WD for lighter duty like I have.

For this type of work I don't know if the X730 will be just fine or if the X738 is worth the extra money. Thoughts?
Hello rbgreen, I have the X738 and love it.. 4x4 never needs chains and mine does not scuff grass. I don't know how it works but when you turn even as sharp as the tractor can turn, it changes the fluid drive at the front wheels so the scuffing does not occur. I have a very steep hill at least 100 yards in length and even when I take a ride out back with a little snow cover, I do not get stuck. If the wheels start to spin, just step on the diff lock, it works great.. I have never been stuck with this machine. Last year with all the snow we received here in Mass it blasted thru the snow with the blower with no effort what so ever. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.. I don't need a three point hitch nor FEL because I have other machines with those capabilities. No FEL is even available for the 738. Here are a couple of pics of what I am talking about with the steep grades and the tractor.
View attachment 129217 View attachment 129225 View attachment 129233 View attachment 129249
First and fourth pic has a rise of 50' from the house to the road above and is 200 feet long. Third pic has a rise of over 100' and is over 100 yards long. Never a problem at all. My backhoe gets stuck and that is also a 4X4 go figure.. Good luck with your purchase.. Jeff Don't know what happened to the attachment??

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hello rbgreen, I have the X738 and love it.. 4x4 never needs chains and mine does not scuff grass. I don't know how it works but when you turn even as sharp as the tractor can turn, it changes the fluid drive at the front wheels so the scuffing does not occur. I have a very steep hill at least 100 yards in length and even when I take a ride out back with a little snow cover, I do not get stuck. If the wheels start to spin, just step on the diff lock, it works great.. I have never been stuck with this machine. Last year with all the snow we received here in Mass it blasted thru the snow with the blower with no effort what so ever. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.. I don't need a three point hitch nor FEL because I have other machines with those capabilities. No FEL is even available for the 738. Here are a couple of pics of what I am talking about with the steep grades and the tractor.
View attachment 129217 View attachment 129225 View attachment 129233 View attachment 129249
First and fourth pic has a rise of 50' from the house to the road above and is 200 feet long. Third pic has a rise of over 100' and is over 100 yards long. Never a problem at all. My backhoe gets stuck and that is also a 4X4 go figure.. Good luck with your purchase.. Jeff Don't know what happened to the attachment??
Real nice place there. And the snow blower does a very neat job with the snow. Perfect setup for the new Englander snows.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Real nice place there. And the snow blower does a very neat job with the snow. Perfect setup for the new Englander snows.
Thank you and yes, the blower does do a great job. I Have had many trucks with plows and swore after I retired from Building I would never plow my yard ever again, and haven't.. It was a constant; get the backhoe out and move snow piles around (you do run out of room with a lot of snow, like we get here in our "snow belt").. Now,, no piles. Yes it takes me a little longer but in a heated cab, a beer by my side I'm good! The other thing I like about a blower vs. a plow,, I don't ruin my grass when it's not quite frozen.. I Like that, saves me a lot of time come spring.. Stay warm, going to be -14 Saturday morning around here.. Probably not much better where you reside. Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts